Sticky Rice..

Totster

When I cook my sticky rice it turns out ok, the correct taste, the correct texture, however it's just too sticky.

When I try to squeeze it into a ball, I get more rice stuck to my hands than in the rice lump. It then leaves a sticky residue on my hands (keep it clean please) which needs to be scrubbed off, and I mean scrubbed..!! :o

Am I right in thinking that I am not washing the rice enough before cooking it..?

My wife seems to think it is because I am not soaking it for long enough.

Any ideas..??

Totster :D

When I cook my sticky rice it turns out ok, the correct taste, the correct texture, however it's just too sticky.

When I try to squeeze it into a ball, I get more rice stuck to my hands than in the rice lump.  It then leaves a sticky residue on my hands (keep it clean please) which needs to be scrubbed off, and I mean scrubbed..!!  :D

Am I right in thinking that I am not washing the rice enough before cooking it..?

Any ideas..??

Totster  :D

Yeh.

Buy some or let her do it. :D:D:o:D:D:D:D:D

When I try to squeeze it into a ball, I get more rice stuck to my hands than in the rice lump.  It then leaves a sticky residue on my hands (keep it clean please) which needs to be scrubbed off, and I mean scrubbed..!!  :D

Any ideas..??

Yeh.

Buy some or let her do it.

Dave.... I'm in the Uk ... she is in Thailand.... not a viable solution :D

But thanks anyway :o:D

totster :D

Any ideas..??

Yeh.

Buy some or let her do it.

Dave.... I'm in the Uk ... she is in Thailand.... not a viable solution :D

But thanks anyway :o:D

In that case I cannot help :D

do like the thai and handle some of the meat you are going to eat first; the oil/fat on your hands keep the rice from gooing on them....i've watched them do this, sort of surreptiosly, while laughing at my sticky riced hands....

Does it seem like I'm obesessed with Sticky Rice...? :o

Nothing wrong w/ that. Sticky rice is good. We should start a subcategory on sticky rice. I just got one of those basket-pot combo sets on Amazon.com then found out that I could get it from the local oriental grocer for about half the price, right here in DC (USA)...point being, there's a lot to be said about sticky rice... books have been written on it -- I think.

You see the thing is, I'm staying at my parents at the moment, and they don't want me to use an aluminium pot on their glass hob, they say it isn't suitable, could damage it, which is fair enough, I wouldn't want to damage it, so I am limited with cooking options really....

totster :o

You see the thing is, I'm staying at my parents at the moment, and they don't want me to use an aluminium pot on their glass hob, they say it isn't suitable, could damage it, which is fair enough, I wouldn't want to damage it, so I am limited with cooking options really....

totster  :D

Well, you're stuffed, aintcha! 5555555 :o

GF is with me now in the uk. struggling to find some ingredients, Pappaya!

just cant get it Any ideas where to get it from?

Also i am sure i have read you can cook sticky rice in the microwave. Can you if so how?

Or can i cook sticky rice in a steamer? how?

sticky rice question sort of....

bought rice that i thought was khao nieow but is actually japanese short grain; it does not behave like sticky rice, but when mixed in w/the thai sticky rice it sort of works... i think its called sushi rice, i thought was the same as the khao nieow how can i learn to tell the difference if its not written on the package i.e. short long, clear, white...etc

sticky rice question sort of....

bought rice that i thought was khao nieow but is actually japanese short grain; it does not behave like sticky rice, but when mixed in w/the thai sticky rice it sort of works... i think its called sushi rice, i thought was the same as the  khao nieow how can i learn to tell the difference if its not written on the package i.e. short long, clear, white...etc

It's usually referred to as SWEET rice on the packaging. The term "sticky" is not usually used, except maybe in LOS. You may have to get it from a grocer that specialize in oriental food. They run about 50 cents (or 20 Baht ) per pound in US.

Edited by xyz

Totster, you can buy electric steamers for less than £15 in the uk

I have a rice cooker..... but I didn't think I could cook sticky rice in it... :D

Also i am sure i have read you can cook sticky rice in the microwave. Can you if so how?

I can't believe you can't find papaya in Birmingham BS.... I will pm you with a website that send these things to you, they're based in Cardiff (thanks Lampy)

Regarding the microwave way, look for my other thread about cooking sticky rice in this section.... I use the microwave but as I have posted it comes out too sticky.. :o

i just cant get it!!!! :o

Must have been to over 30 shops

tescos sainsburys asda indoor/outdoor market birmingham city ctr, wing yip loads of indian asian supermarkets.............................

Yes the website to order it till i find it would be useful. also for the sticky rice whats it called to buy anyone know, GF thought she saw it in wing yip but could it be the japanese rice m,entioned earlier?

Fascinating spudsy

What else is she missing,enjoying?

Very interested in the diary,blog....

You will be able to write a book on your experiences.

i just cant get it!!!! :o

Must have been to over 30 shops

tescos sainsburys asda indoor/outdoor market birmingham city ctr, wing yip loads of indian asian supermarkets.............................

Yes the website to order it till i find it would be useful. also for the sticky rice whats it called to buy anyone know, GF thought she saw it in wing yip but could it be the japanese rice m,entioned earlier?

They actually label it as Sticky Rice in my local shop... £5.99 for 5kg's

Just realised I forgot to send you the link... I'll do it now :D

I've seen papaya, mango, chilies, etc., in many of the usual stores (Tesco, Sainsbury, et al). That's in the southwest areas.

I've seen papaya, mango, chilies, etc., in many of the usual stores (Tesco, Sainsbury, et al). That's in the southwest areas.

I've not seen Green Papaya at any of the usual stores...!! :o

• 2 weeks later...