i have an overseas friend who wants to run a couple of seminars through a hotel here.

he has no company here as yet, but wants to advertise it here first and then see the response and test it and run the seminars.

if the results are good he will do the future seminars through a thai company.

anybody else has experience with this, can we do this, i've seen other overseas speakers do it, how?

There's been alot of discusson on what requires a work permit and what does not....but I think that all would agree that your friend wants to do work at these seminars and they will be in Thailand...sooooo...he needs a work permit.

Of course we're talking about being legal....perhaps some people do it illegally..but I'm sure that no one on TV would want to encourage anyone to do anything illegal in Thailand.

I agree with Chownah, this requires a WP. The work will be here and the income will come from individuals/companies in Thailand.

What he might want to do is to find a thai company with enough capital to fix him a "quick wp" and receive his income as a salary from them.

Edited by ~G~

Absolutely right. Even actors appearing in films here that are financed abroad and have no connection with Thailand at all other than being filmed here must have work permits; and the labor department just loves to send inspectors around to ask for them.

Edited by OldAsiaHand