Teaching English In Thailand

I own a small bar near chiang mai and have 2 friends of mine teach english to my staff

2 older western expat friends one 50 from the states and one 55 from scotland,

Both are married to thai women and both plan on staying in chaigmai for a long time.

and both took chiang mais univ tefl course....both have degrees

and both cant seem to find a job...

Seems thailand is shooting itself it foot by hiring those who are just passing through maybe just recieved a degree for one thing is that not a open invatation for a pedophile....comes signs a teaching contract does his dirty deed and is out of the country before you know it. whereas those who live here are or should be held accountable....just wondering

also from what i have been told is these kids dont learn much, if only because the teachers dont really care here just for the work permit, nice job get paid and get to stay a year but after that they go home find ''real jobs'' or perhaps go for a advanced degree

and being older you have real life expierence somebody no school anywhere can teach you. if that if worth anything?

Moved to Teaching Forum.

Several topics here.

Older teachers. Might get hired in next 4 weeks. A tough market here. Being married is a profile for pedophiles who molest girls. No teaching experience. No network of contacts?

Most Thai kids don't learn much. 35,000 baht may not feed a family or qualify for an extension.

Are they good, dependable teachers who teach well?

Good luck.

Is real life experience worth anything? Yes, of course it is, but as PeaceBlondie mentioned, the market in Chang Mai is tough given it's small size and limited opportunities. My advice to the OP to give to his friends is that they should relax and be assured that Thailand is really quite open to older teachers; 50-55 isn't a barrier in any shape or form. The visa forum on this site is filled with information; they can stay in Chang Mai long-term very easily as they are married and can, if their work doesn't give visa assistance, stay on a Non-O visa and get extensions on account of a 40k+ monthly income or 400k in their Thai bank account. They should be fine.

Moved to Teaching Forum.

Several topics here.

Older teachers. Might get hired in next 4 weeks. A tough market here. Being married is a profile for pedophiles who molest girls. No teaching experience. No network of contacts?

Most Thai kids don't learn much. 35,000 baht may not feed a family or qualify for an extension.

Are they good, dependable teachers who teach well?

Good luck.

I own a small bar near chiang mai and have 2 friends of mine teach english to my staff

2 older western expat friends one 50 from the states and one 55 from scotland,

Both are married to thai women and both plan on staying in chaigmai for a long time.

and both took chiang mais univ tefl course....both have degrees

and both cant seem to find a job...

Seems thailand is shooting itself it foot by hiring those who are just passing through maybe just recieved a degree for one thing is that not a open invatation for a pedophile....comes signs a teaching contract does his dirty deed and is out of the country before you know it. whereas those who live here are or should be held accountable....just wondering

also from what i have been told is these kids dont learn much, if only because the teachers dont really care here just for the work permit, nice job get paid and get to stay a year but after that they go home find ''real jobs'' or perhaps go for a advanced degree

and being older you have real life expierence somebody no school anywhere can teach you. if that if worth anything?

:D

:)

A TEFL doesn’t mean much; it can’t give you the needed experience to teach English in Thailand. It gives you only an idea how it could be.

Your friends should also teach you how to write in English before you come up with a weird post like that. Your statement really shows that you know nothing about teaching. It’s a hard job, believe me.

You’re talking about some back packers, pedophiles and others, doing their dirty deed? That’s insane.

Why don’t you think first, before you’re writing such a strange post?

The market does see very tight this year in my locale. Normally there are 5-6 schools begging for teachers, but this year everyone seems full. There's a big and new bilingual school (500+ ss in it's 1st year) opening here and even they don't seem to need teachers.

I believe that CM pays particularly badly (even the international schools). - Only reason I haven't moved there.

The OP isn't a teacher and criticism of his writing style or post is unwarranted and will earn further such comments a holiday.

The topic is the problems encountered by older teachers finding work. Specifically in Chiang Mai. I am sure the problem exists elsewhere.

Hmmmm

When interviewing teachers I will admit that age is a factor. I would also admit that visa status is a factor. I would say that the most important factors are, do I like them? Are they articulate? Are they interested? Will they fulfill a contract?

As for the OP's Pedo remark? trolling ...

Scott- I don't know if you feel I'm able to comment now as I'm not from CM. Surely this forum isn't so strict?

In the time I have been here (8 years) , I've seen schools less and less willing to employ 'older' teachers.

In my experience schools want 'young and beautiful' teachers, because that's what the parents want.

As a 'middle-aged' teacher, I strongly disagree with the policy for the obvious reasons.

Having said that, my school employed a 50- something year old teacher only last year.

My earlier point, I guess, is that I believe well paid jobs are like rocking horse doo doo in CM

Your most welcomed to post on the site and you don't have to be from CM. The thread was starting to go too far off-topic, that's all. Posting about age factors is fine and posting about factors that might affect those in CM is also fine.

Of course, they need work permits.

Hi PeaceBlondie, :)

I wonder if this text is suitable for a forum like this? What should people think who are new to this forum?

Thoughts should be free, even in this forum. Didn't this guy also criticize others who are doing a good job as teachers? But his message doesn't seem to be understandable for those who live and work here.

The OP isn't a teacher and criticism of his writing style or post is unwarranted and will earn further such comments a holiday.

The topic is the problems encountered by older teachers finding work. Specifically in Chiang Mai. I am sure the problem exists elsewhere.

Posts were not specifically about the OP's writing style, unfortunately not about age. It was his not acceptable style of writing about teachers who live and work here for many years. Being married and paying taxes. We've got teaches over 60, how did they get their jobs? :)

Thanks for your understanding. Happy Songkhran for all, even us old farts........................

Scott- I don't know if you feel I'm able to comment now as I'm not from CM. Surely this forum isn't so strict?

In the time I have been here (8 years) , I've seen schools less and less willing to employ 'older' teachers.

In my experience schools want 'young and beautiful' teachers, because that's what the parents want.

As a 'middle-aged' teacher, I strongly disagree with the policy for the obvious reasons.

Having said that, my school employed a 50- something year old teacher only last year.

My earlier point, I guess, is that I believe well paid jobs are like rocking horse doo doo in CM

Be careful or Scotty will beam you away.....happy Songkhran without tear gas in your coffee. Greetings from buffalo- town.

Edited by Sisaketmike