Negotiating Teaching Contract

hi, i have seen on adversiting on web that they would pay at least 30k, but i lowered my expected salary to 20k and now they want me to sign the 1 yr contract, would it be wise to negotiate?

also should i expect some raises, bonuses and medical insurance for this small job? language school.

i think most of government school offers bonuses and insurances

It' unclear from the post is this a full-time position? or weekend work? My answer would depend upon this. As the OP is signing a 1 year contract, I'm guessing it's full time, (let me know if I'm wrong because 20k sounds low) I think the most valuable thing you could possibly (or impossibly) negotiate would be the language center to facilitate your visa, process your work permit and submit tax returns (or assist you). I've never heard of language centers doing any of these things and most recently I saw one advertised part-time work on ajarn stipulating that 'employee must have work permit' which is normal practise, but the first time I'd seen it openly stated in an ad. This paperwork would be far more valuable than enhanced remuneration. Most people like language centers because they pay cash and you pay no tax, however, if you could negotiate paperwork (one in a million, granted) you could apply for the social security card and make contributions to recieve some medical assistance if you were sick.

Good luck!

yes its full time, they were saying 20 hours a week, so that comes to around 250b per hour. they were saying around 20k... so im guessing it is based on hours i worked?

i would like to know if im gonna get paid for holidays etc... im going to ask them though when i visit them after songkran to sign the contract. i have no previous teaching experience... but i demonstrated 10 min of teaching to them and it worked i guess...

yes they stated they will help with work visa.

also i am curious to know about the salary they stated in their ad. alot of ad states that they will "at least" pay 30k... is this really the case?

Never accept a job offer below 35,000 thb here in Bangkok from any language school. Schools the min that agencies will give you is 38,000 thb. I knew of one agency that was offering to pay you 30,000 thb to work 30 hours a week. These are basically the base min.

however, if you could negotiate paperwork (one in a million, granted) you could apply for the social security card and make contributions to recieve some medical assistance if you were sick.

Hmmm..... I had read on one of these forums that you can only get the social security health program if you work at a government school (or government university), and that private language schools don't qualify (for non-Thais, anyway). Does anyone know for sure?

yes its full time, they were saying 20 hours a week, so that comes to around 250b per hour. they were saying around 20k... so im guessing it is based on hours i worked?

i would like to know if im gonna get paid for holidays etc... im going to ask them though when i visit them after songkran to sign the contract. i have no previous teaching experience... but i demonstrated 10 min of teaching to them and it worked i guess...

yes they stated they will help with work visa.

also i am curious to know about the salary they stated in their ad. alot of ad states that they will "at least" pay 30k... is this really the case?

I’m trying to do the Math. Well it seems that you get paid by hours you’ve taught. Lots of language schools will never get you a work permit, you should ask twice, before signing anything. And this ‘they will help with work visa” doesn’t mean much to me.

I did that a while ago beside my job, tutoring mostly after work and on weekends, always trying to get this on my WP, but they couldn’t come up with some documents. I decided to quit my job,

Please be aware that you’ll have different age groups in the same class, and I guess some guys want to learn business English…..be sure that you’ll have a contract, a Non-B or Non-O visa and a work permit. Good luck.

P.S. The social security is only for government schools, make sure that they’ll pay for a good one like BUPA that covers all.

Edited by Sisaketmike

Never accept a job offer below 35,000 thb here in Bangkok from any language school. Schools the min that agencies will give you is 38,000 thb. I knew of one agency that was offering to pay you 30,000 thb to work 30 hours a week. These are basically the base min.

I guess it’s understood that the OP hasn’t got any teaching experience. I haven’t heard about serious agencies that come up with 38K for beginners. Teaching English in Thailand isn’t really an easy job.

Lets see teaching 20hrs a week, medical Insurance , one year contract, 45,000 baht a month pay the startard deal around my area.

Let’s see ‘gusumpoi’ 20 hrs. /week, medical insurance, a one year contract……..I’m working here since five years and I guess I know what most people are making. Have you ever heard about some guys being on 15,000 or 20,000 baht? Where did you get your information from? Somebody here is a liar……

post-39518-1270884616_thumb.jpg

Lets see teaching 20hrs a week, medical Insurance , one year contract, 45,000 baht a month pay the startard deal around my area.

Let's see 'gusumpoi' 20 hrs. /week, medical insurance, a one year contract……..I'm working here since five years and I guess I know what most people are making. Have you ever heard about some guys being on 15,000 or 20,000 baht? Where did you get your information from? Somebody here is a liar……

so u got 2nd job which is like part time work right? u get paid cash? do u really need another work permit for those....? are u just being cautious that some might backstab and report u or something?

also does it cost the employer to obtrain the work permit and stuff?

however, if you could negotiate paperwork (one in a million, granted) you could apply for the social security card and make contributions to recieve some medical assistance if you were sick.

Hmmm..... I had read on one of these forums that you can only get the social security health program if you work at a government school (or government university), and that private language schools don't qualify (for non-Thais, anyway). Does anyone know for sure?

Hi,

Certainly any private company, language school or otherwise, is eligible to put employees on Social Security. I don't know the requirements though as I haven't done it myself. It must surely revolve around showing that you work in Thailand, so I guess WP and possibly tax returns. Now, what other members of this forum may have been suggesting is that if your language centre doesn't sort your tax or WP, then you'll likely be ineligible for SS.

There is already a thread about staying on SS or doing it on your own, if you're already on it or have been.

All I know for sure is that SS is open to anyone working in Thailand, but I'm unsure whether employers must register employees, or whether employees can register themselves. Interesting question.

If your prospective employer doesn't offer to register you, you could get someone to help you locate your local office, approach them to enquire, maybe a passport (with Visa/extension) and work permit is enough, I don't know the requirements.

Anyone else know?

Certainly any private company, language school or otherwise, is eligible to put employees on Social Security.

Thanks, that's very helpful. As a newbie teacher I will certainly try to negotiate for the Soc Sec benefit before contracting with a school, and/or I will check out if I can put myself on, as it's so cheap.

What confuses me is that in a previous thread it was stated that private language school employees were specifically excluded from Social Security health benefits, in a fairly recent change of the law. It was also stated that the new law might be repealed. Does anyone know about this?

:)

Okay, the OP was offered 20, 000 baht, working 20 hours a week means 250/hr., right?

You’re talking about an agency making 30,000 baht working 30 hours/week. Isn’t that basically the same amount?

The OP could give some private lessons and make more money, let’s say: tutoring 5 hours/week making 400 an hour would be a monthly income of almost the same in a stress- less environment. And less hours of teaching.

30 hours a week is really a lot of work.

• 2 weeks later...

If I understand corrrectly...

The employer adviertised to pay 30,000, but OP put salary expectation of 20,000 in with his CV and was oferred a job for aprox 20,000 and would now like to negociate for higher...

Why not just ask them about the adviertised salary of 30,000 for the position?

Also if they had advertised for 30,000, it may not have made a whole lot of sense to put your salary expectations at only 66% of the salary they were adertising that they were willing to pay.

(negotiating 101)