Video Display Cards

Highwayman

I have a three year old computer which l'm shipping over here. Last time l tried to run it back home it wouldn't work but a friend who checked it out was able to get it working by swapping over the video display card with his.

The PC in question is either a 900Mhz or a 1.3Ghz model (not sure which) with 256RAM. It currently runs WinXP but l'm probably going to switch to a Linux OS, as a learning exercise as much as anything else.

• Are video cards even worth trying to fix?
  • If l buy a new one, what brands should l be looking at in Thailand ?

The main uses for this PC which will be left upcountry as a second PC will be internet surfing, downloading photos and Word/Open Office. Any games played will likely be a few years old, certainly not the latest versions of Doom or whatever is cutting edge these days. Any ideas on what might be suitable fron this listing at www.famous.co.th?

I keep seeing cards with TV capability. What sort of TV reception do you get on these? Do you need to hook up the same sort of antenna as for a TV or is there some sort of built in antenna. The TV capability is not important, just wondering really.

You'll probably get a cheap MX400 based AGP video card. Any brand will do, as there is little difference among them... the differences only come with the top-tier models. Price is around 1,500-2,000 baht.

There are different types of video capability. Simplest is TV-out, with which you can see the output on your TV (but your TV is not suited for displaying high resolutions). Second is AV-in, where you can get input RCA video (AV) and watch it on your computer. Third is TV-tuner, with which you can view signals from a typical TV antenna. You don't need to buy these capabilities with the video card, since you can find them separately on a PCI card. I've seen a TV tuner for around 2-3k baht.

A video card is mostly surface mount ICs, and unless it's a very trivial matter (like a broken pin), I doubt that anyone other than the manufacturer can fix it (and even then they'll just replace it... cheaper).

I have a three year old computer which l'm shipping over here.

The PC in question is either a 900Mhz or a 1.3Ghz model (not sure which) with 256RAM. It currently runs WinXP but l'm probably going to switch to a Linux OS, as a learning exercise as much as anything else.

Do you need to hook up the same sort of antenna as for a TV or is there some sort of built in antenna. The TV capability is not important, just wondering really.

Ati all in wonder should fulfill your needs, until the readon 8500 series should run on your system, as they as old as your system you might have to search for it.

see link for specs.

Edited by bangbuathong

one thing about the video card is the ddr memory size, with your chipset you probably can't use a card higher than 64 mb. possibly you can only use 32 mb. also you need to know what agp speed --2x,4x,6x,8x.

one thing about the video card is the ddr memory size, with your chipset you probably can't use a card higher than 64 mb. possibly you can only use 32 mb. also you need to know what agp speed --2x,4x,6x,8x.

majority of the cards are downward compatible , looking at the system specifications and the interest for a integrated tv tuner results in for example the ati all in wonder 8500 series with the older video ram which should be supported

Thanks for all the replies. :D

The link to Radeon was useful. Looks like a Radeon 8500SE might work, discontinued but seems to be available locally and not so expensive.

I think a 64Mb card is what is in there at the moment but l don't have a hard copy of the original specs to check. :o I'll probably need to take it to a dealer to insert a card to check all the system details and see what is compatible. The system memory l think is PC133/256. SDRAM?

I do know that the mainboard is a Jetway Motherboard 867AS for which l have the user's manual. This is a link to the specs (l think) which will mean more to you than to me as l'm not a gamer and have never needed to know anything about this sort of hardware before. Any comments?

One other question. Would you contemplate buying a used card? I see plenty of used monitors etc. etc. at my local computer mall, the amazing Zeer Rangsit (it's gotta be the biggest IT Mall in Thailand) but l've never thought to enquire about internal parts. Worth looking at or avoid completely?

Thanks for all the replies.  :D

The link to Radeon was useful. Looks like a Radeon 8500SE might work, discontinued but seems to  be available locally and not so expensive. 

I think a 64Mb card is what is in there at the moment but l don't have a hard copy of the original specs to check.  :o I'll probably need to take it to a dealer to insert a card to check all the system details and see what is compatible. The system memory l think is PC133/256. SDRAM?

I do know that the mainboard is a Jetway Motherboard 867AS for which l have the user's manual. This is a link to the  specs   (l think) which will mean more to you than to me as l'm not a gamer and have never needed to know anything about this sort of hardware before. Any comments?

One other question. Would you contemplate buying a used card? I see plenty of used monitors etc. etc. at my local computer mall, the amazing Zeer Rangsit (it's gotta be the biggest IT Mall in Thailand) but l've never thought to enquire about internal parts. Worth looking at or avoid completely?

I would guess that most larger shops have used video cards. Hard core gamers change cards like people change clothes. You can probably get a pretty high quality board cheap. I had a 32 mb board and it did everything I wanted it to do.

Since it says that your mainboard supports AGP 4x, then it can use the newer 1.5V cards. If it supports only 1x/2x, then it would have to use 3.3V AGP card.

Again, it's not necessary to buy the TV capability built-in on the card, and I wouldn't recommend it. If you were to upgrade your computer to a PCI-express board, you'd have to throw away your AGP/TV card. If you had a separate TV PCI card, you could bring it over, and lose only the AGP VGA card.

Used stuff is risky, but fairly cheap. If you're willing to take the risk, and the price is right, go for it.

Thanks again, your answers have given me something to go on when l venture out to get my old PC up and running again. :o

I'll check out the used stuff. If it's very cheap l might take a chance. All that superceded stuff has got to end up somewhere. Most of the computer places l've been to are happy to install stuff for you and get it up and running for little or no charge anyway.

The TV interest was more curiosity rather than needing that option.

cheers