Away Goal Rule

rixalex

The Away Goal Rule  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm sure all the anti-Man United knobs were happy for the away goal rule as it was what took us out of the competition, but if you can for just one moment look beyond your happiness at that result and think about the rule on its own merits, do you think it's still needed or fair? Could it be scrapped and if it was, what do you think would be the result? Would teams playing away from home shut up shop? Does the away goal rule make teams playing away more adventurous?

My own feeling is that providing everyone knows before the competition what the rules are, there's no argument that it's unfair to have the rule one way or the other. I do wonder though whether it is needed.

What do you think?

Edited by rixalex

Just looked at the poll and it is 100% for keep it!!!!

one vote....me... :)

Seriously though it is a fair enough way to decide, if the other side displays more character/courage/determination/enterprise, and skill, to score more away goals.....they deserve to win the tie...........especially if this occurs against ManU....... :D

i think its a good rule,teams used to shut up shop before the rule came in.and referring to the man u. game,they had it in the bag and threw it away,time for a new team,only players i'd keep would be rooney,nani,valencia,fletcher,evra,van der sar.the rest are n't good enough imho.

Keep it....it does make the away team come out and play a bit,remember them boring draws where nobody dared set foot in the others half,anything that makes teams attack and open up the games is fine by me.

Boring draws used to be common-place in league games as well without the away goal rule. I think the way the game is played has changed and i'm not convinced that scrapping the away goal would change that.

Keep it....it does make the away team come out and play a bit,remember them boring draws where nobody dared set foot in the others half,anything that makes teams attack and open up the games is fine by me.

Boring draws used to be common-place in league games as well without the away goal rule. I think the way the game is played has changed and i'm not convinced that scrapping the away goal would change that.

Scrap offside in all areas other than the penalty area, would stretch the games and make for more opportunities.

Scrap offside in all areas other than the penalty area, would stretch the games and make for more opportunities.

I like that idea. Not so much for the effect it would have on the play, but because it would remove all the dodgy decisions from the linesmen. Not that i blame them. It's hard enough to call at the best of times, but now with the rule about players not interfering with play not being off-side, it's a complete nightmare to officiate.

Do away with it and remove that headache, and if it makes games more exciting in the process, all well and good.

Edited by rixalex

Yes I would keep it. As I said in another post I feel being at home in the 2nd leg is not the advantage many pundits seem to think. If away team scores and cancels advantage of away goal in first leg the home team are sweating in case they concede another away goal. :)

I am a bit surprised about the answers as for me it is not so much about more offensive game but rather the question how to find a "winner" if there is a "draw" like we just hat it in the matches between Munich and Manchester.

If you put away that rule, what then? A penalty shootout? Well this rule exists already if both legs show exactly the same results.

A decisive 3rd match? Absolutely impossible with view to the already tight schedule of domestic and international matches (especially every/this year ahead of the World Cup).

Throwing a coin? I beg you pardon.

So this discussion is for me rather fruitless as I see no better solution for the above mentioned "draw".

To scrap the offiside rule seems a more interesting subject.

Keep it deffo...Adds a bit of spice to the game and makes the team playing away try that little harder to get the away goal or 2..

My own feeling is that providing everyone knows before the competition what the rules are

You do know the rules, it seem you just don't like em, not because Man U went out on the away goal rule by any chance.. :D :D :)

You do know the rules, it seem you just don't like em, not because Man U went out on the away goal rule by any chance.. :D:D:)

It's a fair cop. Good work Sherlock. :D

rixalex? would you have started this thread had your team won on away goals???

doubtfull :D

t hen again , maybe you are totally against the away goals rule, as a neutral, and there are no sour grapes.

care to elaborate??

You do know the rules, it seem you just don't like em, not because Man U went out on the away goal rule by any chance.. :D:D:)

doubtfull :D

t hen again , maybe you are totally against the away goals rule, as a neutral, and there are no sour grapes.

care to elaborate??

I said it was a fair cop. What more do you want? A signed affidavit?

I have heard players say the away goals rule had immediate effect in making European games more exciting and leading to more goals and for this reason it was good for the fans and good for the competition. I see no reason to do away with it. It's a great rule.

You do know the rules, it seem you just don't like em, not because Man U went out on the away goal rule by any chance.. :D:D:D

doubtfull :D:D

care to elaborate??

I said it was a fair cop. What more do you want? A signed affidavit?

Some people eh rixalex :)

Anyway I see the poll/score is 15----1 against you, haha that would be funny watching Man U losing 15.....1, I wonder what kind of thread you'd post then, anyway if it's any consalation I think Man U played a brilliant first half home leg, IMO they lost the tie in Munich. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Keep it for sure! makes sense over the two legs home and away.

You want to give a different answer this morning Dev ?? :)

In all seriousness, i think it's massively unfair that when a tie goes to extra time, that aways goals then count double, that's ridiculous & massively unfair..

It's a HUGE advantage for the Team playing the Home Leg first & correct me if i'm wrong but don't the Games just get draw out of a Hat ??

That's ridiculous to allow them to count double at that stage ( extra time of the second leg ) & completely unfair in my opinion..

In all seriousness, i think it's massively unfair that when a tie goes to extra time, that aways goals then count double, that's ridiculous & massively unfair..

It's a HUGE advantage for the Team playing the Home Leg first & correct me if i'm wrong but don't the Games just get draw out of a Hat ??

That's ridiculous to allow them to count double at that stage ( extra time of the second leg ) & completely unfair in my opinion..

Surely this is the point though singhy. Its still more of a task for the away side in extra time. Changing the rule would simply hand a greater advantage to the home team or maybe the ref could ask the home fans to be quiet during the extra half hour. :D

If we didn't have the away goals rule,we would get to a situation where there would be extra time being played in abundance.Now is that fair to the away team to play a furthur 30 minutes? And is it also fair for the players of the away team to endure a penalty shoot out in front of a crowd baying for your blood?

You want to give a different answer this morning Dev ?? :D

mmm no comment :)

If we didn't have the away goals rule,we would get to a situation where there would be extra time being played in abundance.Now is that fair to the away team to play a furthur 30 minutes? And is it also fair for the players of the away team to endure a penalty shoot out in front of a crowd baying for your blood?

I'm not saying don't have the Away Goal rule OG, i'm just saying it shouldn't be applicable ( Away Goals count double ) during the extra time period..

Win the Game in extra time by all means but away gaols counting double in extra time of the Second Leg ??

No no, it's ridiculous..

Edited by MSingh