Outsourcing

I foresee the wheels falling off in a big way; lost documents, passports etc and the visa section sitting back and saying it's not their fault. Also how long before you get, "I've a friend of a friend who takes in visa applications for the UK embassy. Slip her a few thou' and she'll see what she can do.........."

Scouse.

I foresee the wheels falling off in a big way; lost documents, passports etc and the visa section sitting back and saying it's not their fault. Also how long before you get, "I've a friend of a friend who takes in visa applications for the UK embassy. Slip her a few thou' and she'll see what she can do.........."

Scouse.

That's exactly what happened at NZ Immigration.

You talk about the wheels about to fall off!!!! already happened years ago. From my experience of the embassy and believe me i have had lots having had my wifes visa application refused 3 times before they finally said yes, they dont know their a**hole from their earhole.

I remember when i applied for the last time i was told by Jane-lacey Smith (anyone had experience of this woman?) that they refused the application because i had someone help my wife fill in the application forms, to which i replied of course i did didnt realise there was anything wrong with this. She told me that this was against the rules so i asked if that was the case why were they allowed to ply for business within the walls and indeed inside the office of the British embassy.

I was told that this wasnt possible so i pointed the woman out that had helped us, then went back three days later and low and behold if there werent signs everywhere not to talk to visa touts in the embassy and report them straight away.

Shutting the gate after the horse has bolted springs to mind. Didnt even get refund on the cost of that application.

So imho the wheels fell of years ago.

Sorry to go on but mere mention of the Embassy turns me purple with anger :o:D, but i feel better now having got it off my chest.

Edited by daleyboy

Also how long before you get, "I've a friend of a friend who takes in visa applications for the UK embassy. Slip her a few thou' and she'll see what she can do.........."

According to the Procurement tender, the processing agent won't have approval Authority.

So if people pay that bribe, they might be disappointed !

Also how long before you get, "I've a friend of a friend who takes in visa applications for the UK embassy. Slip her a few thou' and she'll see what she can do.........."

According to the Procurement tender, the processing agent won't have approval Authority.

Yeah, but do they do the interview? Do they make a recommendation to the powers that be?

It won't stop 'em doing it, though. According to the notice, the contractor is to be required to set up regional offices in which to take in applications. I'm sure they'll have one in Pattaya and I wonder how long it will be before someone tries to benefit from their link to the embassy eventhough only indirectly associated.

Scouse.

Unless they're planning to let more Thais through without any interview, I don't see the point. After all, what's the use of letting people submit an application if you can't have a quick talk (to decide whether or not they need a full interview). At the moment, the British embassy visa section can at least handle someone needing a visa in a hurry. (OK you have to queue at 6 in the morning, but you can, if you don't need the full interview, get a visa same day)

The Oz one was supposedly to streamline their service. All it did was add a built-in delay, and make it virtually impossible to find out where your application is? (Before the change, a tourist visa took 2-3 days, now the 5 days they quote is the minimum). Also, the old visa application room at the embassy was a lot larger than the new place.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt assuming

First - wherever the new application centre is, it's relatively easy to get to.

Second - it has longer opening hours. (shouldn't be too difficult)

Third - there is sufficient room for everyone to get inside (into the air-conditioning), and ideally to sit down, at least when it's not especially busy. Although longer opening hours would help here.

Fourth - it doesn't cost extra. After all, UK visas are already ridiculously expensive. Tourists are supposed to have sufficient funds left to spend while they're on holiday. Maybe if one visa covered a whole family, but children are separate visas at the same price. There are limits to how much you can charge and still get tourists... (or maybe the UK simply doesn't want tourists...)

Edited by bkk_mike

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see a pattern emerging here. As another user has already indicated, the NZL and Oz Embassies have already outsourced this function to a third party. In Australia's case, this is now done by the Australian Visa Service.

No reason to think this will no proliferate. Add another layer of bureaucracy to the mix...aghhhh :o

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see a pattern emerging here. As another user has already indicated, the NZL and Oz Embassies have already outsourced this function to a third party. In Australia's case, this is now done by the Australian Visa Service.

No reason to think this will no proliferate. Add another layer of bureaucracy to the mix...aghhhh :o

Are you sure it was outsourced in the Oz case, I was under the impression that DIMA had simply relocated away from the Embassy. I hear ms jackson is buzzing around the joint.

It's all about saving time and money and keeping the horde of the great unwashed away from the sacred Embassy gates. As Bkk Mike said, it's recently happened with the Australian Embassy and can't be a coincidence that the Brit Embassy is trying it only a few months later: clearly word has got back that it saves time and hassle for the bureaucrats.

As for no extra cost for the applicant, don't you believe it. Outsourcing has to be paid for and the operator has to turn in a profit. The Aus visa service on Sathorn charges 400 baht plus VAT for taking your documents and passport: I can't see the Brit service charging less, very probably a bit more.