Have Reds Seized City Hall

Hog Head

From what I understand on the red TV they are broadcasting on the web they have their own army (UDD) and are calling for more soldiers to abandon their stations and join with them. I'm not saying this as fact this is what was said so don't abuse me if it is incorrect I'm just repeating it. There was also a mention of civil war. I'm not sure who checks on the facts for this site but I hope they do.

As of half an hour ago when I was there, everything was quite orderly, with a festive atmosphere. There were no soldiers that I noticed, and the police were handling traffic quite well. I estimated 250/300 red shirted protesters outside city hall, with the most part sitting around drinking and laughing.

What I did notice as I was driving around, was the 1st development battalion round the corned in Chang Puak had a squad of fully armed soldiers, with Humvees parked at the entrance to the compound. Up the road the 7th artillery was similarly equipped, possibly the shape of things to come...

Edited by Maejo Man

Thanks for the facts.

The Nation reported seizure as a fact at 16:59

Thought it worth checking as their facts are sometimes circumspect

If sitting around drinking and listening to music constitutes seizure they are correct :) Nothing has been seized, apart from the Nation's sense of the melodramatic as usual. :D

Meanwhile, hundreds of red-shirts are reported to have forced their way into government offices in the northern cities of Chiang Mai and Udon Thani in protest at the government crackdown in Bangkok.

Reported by whom? Why repeat reported rumours? I walked round the corner and watched first hand. No storming, no seizing, they just walked in and talked to officials. They are still there this morning, listening to the same old megaphoned propaganda. Go take a look, you might understand what it's all about :)

I just returned from Chiang Mai city hall and all was quiet, the police have taken off their riot gear and set it on the front steps. I talked to a member of UDD and he told me the police were "tomato shirts" meaning they just want to be on the winning side. He also told me that the main UDD group would be returning at 15:00 today. I spoke to a woman from UDD and she said her husband was one of the police on the steps and the police kept coming over to the UDD members and let them know what was going on. My wife asked one of the police if they would shoot the protesters and he said "no, absolutely not under and circumstance".

Meanwhile, hundreds of red-shirts are reported to have forced their way into government offices in the northern cities of Chiang Mai and Udon Thani in protest at the government crackdown in Bangkok.

Reported by whom? Why repeat reported rumours? I walked round the corner and watched first hand. No storming, no seizing, they just walked in and talked to officials. They are still there this morning, listening to the same old megaphoned propaganda. Go take a look, you might understand what it's all about :)

Easy tiger! I posted that precisely because that is the line 'reported' by The Nation. I do know what its about, in a vague sense that everybody I work with is red, most of my soi is, and indeed tomorrow I will be playing songkran in San Kampeign at one of the lakes in the national park... surrounded by the 'mob'.

Mae%20Sa%20Valley%20Heights.JPG

They wont have machetes and bombs, but will have sangsom whisky and plenty of somtam, and roast bits of animal. The kind of peasant that the majority on Thai Visa seem to enjoy mocking for their simplicity. Oh well, the farang in BK and the resorts can keep their fairy-light lit bubble of western civilisation down there...

Edited by whiterussian

I just returned from Chiang Mai city hall and all was quiet, the police have taken off their riot gear and set it on the front steps. I talked to a member of UDD and he told me the police were "tomato shirts" meaning they just want to be on the winning side. He also told me that the main UDD group would be returning at 15:00 today. I spoke to a woman from UDD and she said her husband was one of the police on the steps and the police kept coming over to the UDD members and let them know what was going on. My wife asked one of the police if they would shoot the protesters and he said "no, absolutely not under and circumstance".

not under any circumstances".

What are you drinking? :)

Look let's be civil during this time. I didn't say it the police officer said it and if the members of Thai Visa are going to be jerks about it I won't waste my time.

I just returned from Chiang Mai city hall and all was quiet, the police have taken off their riot gear and set it on the front steps. .................................. He also told me that the main UDD group would be returning at 15:00 today.

Just got back home after another visit to city hall, and it's 14.45hrs. Not a red shirt in sight, and only three regular police on the front gate. I had a wander around, and the only evidence that they had ever been there was a solitary red flag, and some red grafitti on the wall.

I asked the police where they had gone, and they said they just went. Will they be back I asked, I doubt it he said....it's Songkhran :)

post-7622-1270972151_thumb.jpg

post-7622-1270972170_thumb.jpg

Look let's be civil during this time. I didn't say it the police officer said it and if the members of Thai Visa are going to be jerks about it I won't waste my time.

My, my, you are so sensitive to the slightest humour :D

I just returned from Chiang Mai city hall and all was quiet, the police have taken off their riot gear and set it on the front steps. .................................. He also told me that the main UDD group would be returning at 15:00 today.

Just got back home after another visit to city hall, and it's 14.45hrs. Not a red shirt in sight, and only three regular police on the front gate. I had a wander around, and the only evidence that they had ever been there was a solitary red flag, and some red grafitti on the wall.

I asked the police where they had gone, and they said they just went. Will they be back I asked, I doubt it he said....it's Songkhran :)

Good to know.

Bloody 'Nation'.

Good to know.

Bloody 'Nation'.

The Nation is only useful for lining the dog kennel and the kitty litter :D