Looking For Work In Thailand

I am a US citizen, and currently living back in the US, looking to relocate to Thailand. I recently returned to the US after spending the last 4 years in Korea as acting GM for the A/P region. I have over 20 years experience in sales/management in the electrical industry and want to get back to Asia, but be based in Bangkok. Any suggestions on where to look? Many of the job sites like Monster don't seem to offer much, and sending resumes out to recruiters seems to be a waste of time. Are there many foreign companies with A/P headquarters based in Bangkok?

Thanks for your comments!

Thai work permit laws are at best antiquated and don't really recognize "regional" roles like the one you describe. The registered job is best based on an activity undertaken with a Thai trading entity. If the activities cover Thailand as part of A/P then the lines can be blurred in order to get your work permit. This is what I believe those few companies with regional HQ's here do (it is certainly what my company does).

However, because of this I think you're still much more likely to find a regional role that would suit you in Singapore (for SE Asia) or Hong Kong / Shanghai (for the Gtr China region). Work permit rules in those places are far more flexible in that regard.

If you must have such a role in BKK, then I guess most are filled internally, ie. by transferring personnel in from elsewhere in the group (as I was). As there aren't that many regional jobs here, there aren't that many people here qualified to take them on. Bit of a "chicken & egg" scenario I'm afraid.

Best of luck with your search in any event!

Edited by Captain Chaos