Starting A Business In Samui, Will I Be Unwelcome?

I'm just looking for some constructive, realistic information about opening a business in Samui.

A little background on myself;

I'm well a travelled expat, I lived in various countries for the past 10 years, currently living in the Middle East and I do have business acumen.

Obviously I've visited Samui many times, enough to want to relocate there.

The business I am interested launching is a franchise of a global brand, internet travel guide(please no comments on the validity of the business)

I am aware that the local community is small, the expat community is well entrenched.

My concerns are by waltzing in(not already being part of the community) suddenly becoming part of the local community, getting involved and promoting my business will not be welcome. There may be other variables that I have no knowledge of such as criminal elements(i'm not saying there is) that may not take to the fact I'm doing this business.

Could this be potentially dangerous to my health or might I be chased out of town?

Can you please explain in plain English. :rolleyes:If you have been here several times & business acumen, I don't even see you asking that question.

Honestly I'm not some ponce trying to sound literate, I've coped some crap on here before about being naive so I've tried another angle. I might have business acumen, but I haven't done business in Thailand. I may have visited Samui many times but I haven't connected with the local business community, my only experience is being an observer as a tourist.

Can you please explain in plain English. :rolleyes:If you have been here several times & business acumen, I don't even see you asking that question.

Maybe he's concerned about the travel industry mafia on the island?

Thanks Koheesti, that's probably a better explanation than mine, this is my concern

Thanks Koheesti, that's probably a better explanation than mine, this is my concern

I would be surprised if you have anything to worry about with the Internet travel guide angle. It sounds like you would basically be bringing business to people. Who can complain about that? I know of a similar biz on the island (targeting Brits back home) but I don't think there would be any animosity. The island might be a small market but the Internet (global) market isn't. Plenty of room for everyone. Just look at the vast number of site promoting Samui already out there. Now, if you wanted to open a bar or restaurant that might be a different story. If you wanted to open a rival taxi company, you'd be dead.

Agree with koheesti!

Not 100% sure what your business is, but if it aims to bring foreign visitors to the island, then I cannot see how that would be a threat. Anyone bringing the punters in right now will be welcome. Unless, of course you are poaching those visitors from an existing business based here?

How you make it pay is up to you; tourist numbers are pretty low right now. Kick-backs seem to be a normal way to do business here. You introduce a client to a hotel/attraction/tour/etc, you get a commission. In 10 years time when the island is running at 100% occupancy, then you might have a problem! :)

I guess it depends on the business... 8 D

I am thinking of setting up a discount shuttle service from Samui Airport and Nathon pier. Would that be a good idea, or would I be treading on toes?. :)

Possibly take a 30 year lease on a vacant lot, buy a fleet of tuk tuks and just sit back a relax at the bar while the money rolls in. Shouldn't bother anybody. After all, you are bringing business to the vendors.

bascially if u have the right thai partners behinde u then anything is possible but they have too respect you or u will have problemms.

the people you really want to talk to is lawyerss. forget mafia and crime and all that rubbish. u have to be strong and not be bullied. where some of the locals are clever is that the lease agreements are very vague and they get screwed on the lease. my advise is get a lawyer a good 1. no some back ally 1. they might be expensive but the main thing about starting a business is knowing where u stand legally.

if u r doing something that u don't even know is illegal. for example building to close to the ring road or going over hight ristrictions. then all the loacals have to do to close u down is call the police.

forget the local mafia or so called mafia don't let peopke bully you. if u want to succeed get loads of patrners and try to keep the ID of the boss quiet. some people like to show off how much money they have and how big there business here are. normally these sortes of people are the ones that get the trouble

think people have i slight mis conspetion about mafia on samui. they hear of shooting and stuff and think mafia.

1 the local people llike to protect there island and won't stand for anyone even thais from the outside trying to be bigger than them.

2 allot of the shooting are due to business deals gone bad. like people not paying money

3 some are down to drunken arguments

4 jelousy

5 maybe some slight mafia style stuff in sertain areas but normally it is thai on thai.

6 gambling problems umongst thais

bascially if u piss off a thai and they are local and have a big family then they will make a probelm for you no matter what

if u get a good lawyer a lawyer will tell u which part of the island he has had the ost problems in and advise you.

think people have i slight mis conspetion about mafia on samui. they hear of shooting and stuff and think mafia.

1 the local people llike to protect there island and won't stand for anyone even thais from the outside trying to be bigger than them.

2 allot of the shooting are due to business deals gone bad. like people not paying money

4 jelousy

5 maybe some slight mafia style stuff in sertain areas but normally it is thai on thai.

bascially if u piss off a thai and they are local and have a big family then they will make a probelm for you no matter what

if u get a good lawyer a lawyer will tell u which part of the island he has had the ost problems in and advise you.

7. Thai family members trying to kill off a family member in order to get control of his/her land or business.

Edited by koheesti

4 jelousy

7. Thai family members trying to kill off a family member in order to get control of his/her land or business.

yes wouldn't worry about the so called mafia. get a good lawyer. the main things is not not piss anyone off. the lawyer should tell u what would piss someone off and give yourself trouble. sometimes the locals can help you out if u approach them n the right way. main thing here is to not show anger even when u would normally. well i do but i am super man :)

Honestly I'm not some ponce trying to sound literate, I've coped some crap on here before about being naive so I've tried another angle. I might have business acumen, but I haven't done business in Thailand. I may have visited Samui many times but I haven't connected with the local business community, my only experience is being an observer as a tourist.

Rule number 1 if you do decide to do Business here, you know that word " Logic " ?? Forget it, all logic & logical Business ideas/plan's/practice etc goes out the window here..

Enjoy & good luck.. :)

So now it seems we have the on-line travel business Mafia :D Is there any type of business here on Samui that isn't controlled by them ? :D Everywhere you go these days all you here is " he is big Mafia or she is big Mafia or they are not Mafia but they know big Mafia etc.

You would think that with all the ex SAS, SBS Marines, Para's, Seals, Green Berets, MI5 / 6 CIA, FBI NSA etc that there would be no trouble here :D :D

Nige, Don't listen to all the Mafia nonsense. Come here, open your business. Use basic common sense and curtesy and enjoy. :)

PS the only Godfather you have to keep sweet is the Don of Don's, the Cappo De cappo

ROO. Upset him and you're history :D

Don't believe me ? Ask Big C. :D

Edited by H2oDunc

So now it seems we have the on-line travel business Mafia :D Is there any type of business here on Samui that isn't controlled by them ? :D Everywhere you go these days all you here is " he is big Mafia or she is big Mafia or they are not Mafia but they know big Mafia etc.

You would think that with all the ex SAS, SBS Marines, Para's, Seals, Green Berets, MI5 / 6 CIA, FBI NSA etc that there would be no trouble here :D:D

Nige, Don't listen to all the Mafia nonsense. Come here, open your business. Use basic common sense and curtesy and enjoy. :)

PS the only Godfather you have to keep sweet is the Don of Don's, the Cappo De cappo

ROO. Upset him and you're history :cheesy:

Don't believe me ? Ask Big C. :D

Actually Duncs the closest thing to mafia here is the Dogfather :D But, yes Roo is capo di capi on the forum, but i have'nt worked out where BigC is in the mix :D:clap2:

Carmine, Big C has felt the wrath of Roo before. He doesn't want to feel it again :)

Where Roo is concerned Big C is Small stuff :D

Upset the ROO and he will make you an offer you can't refuse!

Good to see you in good spirits H2o. :D

A Royal Decree in 1973 listed 39 occupations that were then closed to aliens.

Tourist guide or tour organising agency is on the list.

More info here:MFA

1973? Wanna bet that "Internet Travel Guide" isn't on that list? :)

There are several printed guides to Samui on the island and I'm sure they are all done by foreigners.

I would be surprised if you have anything to worry about with the Internet travel guide angle. It sounds like you would basically be bringing business to people. Who can complain about that? I know of a similar biz on the island (targeting Brits back home) but I don't think there would be any animosity. The island might be a small market but the Internet (global) market isn't. Plenty of room for everyone. Just look at the vast number of site promoting Samui already out there. Now, if you wanted to open a bar or restaurant that might be a different story. If you wanted to open a rival taxi company, you'd be dead.

Thanks Koheesti, that makes sense. What got me concerned was a person living in another part of Thailand warning me off such an idea, it seems from this thread, as long as you use common sense things should be okay. Rightly I am wanting to promote the island.

Agree with koheesti!

Not 100% sure what your business is, but if it aims to bring foreign visitors to the island, then I cannot see how that would be a threat. Anyone bringing the punters in right now will be welcome. Unless, of course you are poaching those visitors from an existing business based here?

How you make it pay is up to you; tourist numbers are pretty low right now. Kick-backs seem to be a normal way to do business here. You introduce a client to a hotel/attraction/tour/etc, you get a commission. In 10 years time when the island is running at 100% occupancy, then you might have a problem! :)

It's basically I one stop internet site for Samui - accommodation, nightlife, sights tours, you can book all your holiday needs, write reviews etc. Essentially if people start using my site in preference to others, is that poaching?

The site pays by advertising, hotels, spas, restaurants etc.

Agree with koheesti!

It's basically I one stop internet site for Samui - accommodation, nightlife, sights tours, you can book all your holiday needs, write reviews etc. Essentially if people start using my site in preference to others, is that poaching?

The site pays by advertising, hotels, spas, restaurants etc.

There will be no problem with that whatsoever.

4 jelousy

yes wouldn't worry about the so called mafia. get a good lawyer. the main things is not not piss anyone off. the lawyer should tell u what would piss someone off and give yourself trouble. sometimes the locals can help you out if u approach them n the right way. main thing here is to not show anger even when u would normally. well i do but i am super man :)

Yeah I've seen that go wrong before, I always respect local culture, it's not my country. I live in Oman at the moment if you mess with the locals here, you could end up in the big house being Ahmed's b*tch, for no reason other than the local didn't like you