How Long Have You Been In Thailand

Tornado

Been in and out of the country so a bit difficult to count but must be around 25 years in total.

Born and raised in Bangkok till 18, except one year in Japan.

High - perhaps my own wedding

Low - seen "black October" (or is it red October??), crackdown on Thammasat Univ. student uprising in 1976. One Sunday I was at Mission Hospital (where I was born) with my mother not too far from Sanam Luang and saw people shot by police/military brought in one after another, their clothes soaked in blood. A few days later, my father took me to Sanam Luang and seen where they burned people on street and trees where they hanged students and banged their head with folding chair (as seen in the famous Pulitzer award winning photograph). I saw shoes left under the tree. What a dad, I was only 11 then :o

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 5 years in Thailand

LOW point : Getting caught one morning by TGF/now wive in a hotel room in Kata beach with two lezos ( I no longer keep swords in my house)

HI point : The night before and keeping all body parts

Just kidding HI point would be the birth of my daughter and will also be the birth of my son on the 27th of this month

Rigger

Two months (after 26 years as an expat working on Saipan).

High: Finally being retired and enjoying lazy-but-busy stress-free days.

Low: Down for a week with Dengue Fever.

Disappointment: Having to drive everywhere. Was looking forward to a vehicle-free retirement -- walk to coffee in the morning; walk to happy hour in the evening. Haven't achieved those lofty goals yet.

Looking Forward To: Getting out and about and visiting some of the places I never got a chance to see in nearly 30 years of visiting as a tourist.

gaining momentum now  :D

Helped along by a bit of Tornado prodding... :D

:D how long have you been here JD? :o

Alright... I'll contribute... :D

3.5 years full time now... :D

I don't really consider that all my past holidays here really contributed to my Thai experience... very sheltered and insulated from real Thai people and culture... so I discount them from my summary.

Had too many highs to really pinpoint any one outstanding significant event, and the only thing that came close to a low for me was when I was temporarily unemployed in BKK for 2 months, and thought I might have to leave Thailand to find work elsewhere. Actually, when I did get the phone call offer of a new job in LOS, that made me feel pretty high.

:D

it looks like this thread will be a doozy  :D  :o  :D

Especially with snappy little comments from yourself! :D

back to the pit with ya!

you dont even live here part timer, so you shouldnt even be viewing this thread :D:D

I wish Georgie wasn't on sabbatical on Samui right now or he could join us for some fun! :D

I want to move there. Can you tell me what the average one bedroom apt. goes for? I am aflight attendant so the closer to the airport the better. Thanks!!!!!

Arrived in January 1993.

Highs and lows have been to the extreme, and so many of them.

Being locked up in a drug detox was a low. The birth of my daughter was the high point by a long way.

I can't really remember the first few years as they were an alcohol/drug haze, every single day.

Today is a high, and tomorrow never comes.

So...Tornado, you started this thread and it appears that you are hoping that many people will view and post to it. Will you feel good about yourself and feel that you have accomplished something really great if its popular and feel a bit lonely and disheartened if not many people respond. Is this post a poll on your popularity here at TV?

Just wondering.

So...Tornado, you started this thread and it appears that you are hoping that many people will view and post to it. Will you feel good about yourself and feel that you have accomplished something really great if its popular and feel a bit lonely and disheartened if not many people respond. Is this post a poll on your popularity here at TV?

Just wondering.

yeah something like that................. :D

back to the pit with ya!

you dont even live here part timer, so you shouldnt even be viewing this thread :D:D

I wish Georgie wasn't on sabbatical on Samui right now or he could join us for some fun! :D

hotel name and room number? :D

Hotel De Lusion. Room number 666.

Just wondering.

yeah something like that................. :D

:D:D

totster :D

Just wondering.

I've been too close to too many tornados to ever acqure a like for them! :D

But I keep ending up near them for some reason... :D

Ten months here.

High: falling in love :D

Low: condensed milk in my coffee :D

8 years.....  :D  been through - sars, bird flu, tsunami, motor bike accidents, crippled for 6 months, 9 wives (not really it was more like 10  :D )... It has been great!  :o

9 years 11 months 2 days :D same experience as yours but no accidents. Women: close to your number. lots of fun with little disappointments (Unavoidable) :D:D

4 years and 6 months --- average 10 months a year in Isaan. 2 in AUS.

High Point: Walking into my accountants office in Perth with TW and her newly acquired “Australian Tax File Number”. Income splitting -- Heavy duty reduction in tax obligations with regards to my retirement investment portfolio. :D

Higher Point: Meeting TW. :D

Low Point: The ongoing battle with the Thai beurocracy over this, that and the other --- nothing is simple and easy eg. Bank Certificate for proof of funds WHAT bullshit. :D

Lower Point: There isn’t any. ---- Really like the country and its people. :o

back to the pit with ya!

hotel name and room number? :D

Hotel De Lusion. Room number 666.

:D:D

Long enough to reply to more than four different threads like these, so past six months then :D

Seriously, four years this month.

Highs: People, most of my lifestyle here, TV meetups :o

Lows: Being away from family and mates in the UK, job at times - but it's the reason I'm here, so enough complaining.

Forwards...

Four years on 7/11. Isn't it ironic?

Highs: The Yam Wun Sen thaleh I ate in Koh Lanta 2003.

Lows:

1. Waking up soaked in sweat in a private tour bus from Hat Yai to Bangkok at 3 AM somewhere between Prachuab Khirikhan and Chumphon due to a broken air conditioning system, realizing that the brakes of said bus had gone kaputt, and a bit later seeing the driver flee the scene leaving 150 passengers stranded alongside the road.

2. The sound of the 7 Eleven doorbell.

23 years in October.Always stayed in Pattaya. Been through when Second Rd looked like PLOs training camp,soi Buakow was called soi Sokoprokk cos dirty and no asphalt,Pty klang was dead and hardly no buildings,Walking Street was called The Golden Mile and from soi 15 to police box was dark and no activity, it was even scary to walk there.Only one disco,“Marine” and it closed 6 am,well there was “Grace” too but it was quite slow.October 1983 was very rainy and heavy downpours for 3 days,total 480mm and Beach Rd was washed away in 4 places.You did the shopping at Spinneys in soi Post Office.The going rate for the ladies was 300 Baht long time and the bar fee was 60 Baht.The rate was 25 Baht to the US $$.We drank Mehkong/coke and my first one was in the bar beside the Big Tree and cost me 15 Baht.Lam Morrison played at the Saloon bar and Rod Steward advertising Kloster Beer.Been through coup in Bangkok,1993 I think, and Bangkok Post was censored with partly blank pages.PM Khun Suchinda was kicked out of office and ended up near the Cambodia border in a fancy villa.July 1997 started the economic meltdown,if my memory serves me right,and Jan,Feb-98 was a good time to send money toThailand when you got about 70 Baht to the greenback and the interest rate was 12-15%.The land price in Pattaya Tai was 2.300Baht/Tarrangwha,I bought my piece of land -87,now they ask for 20k…Jeeze,was it better before?? …It was, belive me.

30 glorious days

0 injuries

0 ladies

0 friends

0 health issues

12 movies

20 beers

2 nights in lucifer

2 nights in RCA

ok... I am thinking of changing some zero's from this weekend...

30 days, no ladies, just 4 nights out and only 20 beers, are you a practicing monk?

:D

I'm Jealous by the way as I expect many here are, that first time in Thailand is treasured memories for most.

Ok, 5 yrs here now, many highs and lows, friend died early this year so that was a definate low, but got a new business starting soon so hope that'll be a high, gotta look forward in life. :D

First trip to Thailand count for the lows? coz it ended with an medical operation on the one place where men definately don't need one. :o

Edited by bkkmadness

3 years,

1 1/2 on Koh Chang,

1/2 BKK

1 Kanchanburi.

Hi Points: Running A Beach Resort, Discovering my copious tolerance for alcohol, falling in Love with a TG.

Low Points: Losing the Beach Resort, Discovering my copious tolerance has limits, Falling in Love with a TG:

Beautiful Country...

3 years,

1 1/2 on Koh Chang,

1/2 BKK

1 Kanchanburi.

Hi Points: Running A Beach Resort, Discovering my copious tolerance for alcohol, falling in Love with a TG.

Low Points: Losing the Beach Resort, Discovering my copious tolerance has limits, Falling in Love with a TG:

Beautiful Country...

:D you have won a tshirt, please pm the doc to claim your prize. :o:D