5 Year Drivers License

bjohn34

• 1 month later...
Just to make it clear for me, if I have my yellow house book I do not need a residence cert. for my drivers license renewal (from 1 year to a 5 year)? If true this saves me a trip to immigration, I just need my Yellow book and 2 copies of it and my passport

That is what the yellow book is for. Works about 95%. There is always the stubborn one. I use mine in stead of a CR.

How come the house book "thabian ban" given by my condominium is blue??

Does it mean i have to go to CM immigration to get a residency cert with the blue house book?

My 1 yr licence expires next tuesday. Is there any fine for late renewal?

Many thanks.

Cheers!

Just to make it clear for me, if I have my yellow house book I do not need a residence cert. for my drivers license renewal (from 1 year to a 5 year)? If true this saves me a trip to immigration, I just need my Yellow book and 2 copies of it and my passport

That is what the yellow book is for. Works about 95%. There is always the stubborn one. I use mine in stead of a CR.

How come the house book "thabian ban" given by my condominium is blue??

Does it mean i have to go to CM immigration to get a residency cert with the blue house book?

My 1 yr licence expires next tuesday. Is there any fine for late renewal?

Many thanks.

Cheers!

Condo owners get a blue book you can use it as proof instead of a cr. On your renewal no fine for go over for that matter they will not renew until after your expire date. Take the same paperwork again with you as you used for your first license.

when I went to get a 5-year licence for the first time (convert from 1-year licence), I was told I can only get another 1-year temporary licence if I insist on submitting before the expiry date :)

Where are you locate in Thailand because the LTD's operate under different rules in different areas. In Chiang Mai for me it was not before ,not on, but after. :D

Edited by gotlost

the 12 month temporary licence has to be expired before you apply for the 5 year licence. unless this has changed

Not true, sorry... well at least for me in Feb....

I got my five year license in Feb around 30 days before the 1 year expired.

The lady issued me both my motorcycle and car licenses and told me to use the others until the expiry dates and then switch over to the new 5 year ones, which are valid on the day the 1 year temporary one ends.

Just did it... maybe being a Thai speaker helps, I don't know, but I had no problem getting mine within a 30 day window before expiration.

Me too... went 2 weeks before expiry and walked out with two 5 year licenses

the 12 month temporary licence has to be expired before you apply for the 5 year licence. unless this has changed

The lady issued me both my motorcycle and car licenses and told me to use the others until the expiry dates and then switch over to the new 5 year ones, which are valid on the day the 1 year temporary one ends.

Just did it... maybe being a Thai speaker helps, I don't know, but I had no problem getting mine within a 30 day window before expiration.

Maybe they have changed . On a renewal of a 5 year license you can renew in advance .

Edited by gotlost

Maybe they have changed . On a renewal of a 5 year license you can renew in advance .

maybe... just to clarify - when I say 'two 5 year licenses' I meant a Bike and a Car (just in case someone thinks they can get 10 years :) )

Last month I renewed 1 yr license to 5 year 7 days before expiration in Chiang Mai. Lady told me that old license was valid until expiration date , then new 5 yr licenses valid.

Edited by bjohn34

Last month I renewed 1 yr license to 5 year 7 days before expiration in Chiang Mai. Lady told me that old license was valid until expiration date , then new 5 yr licenses valid.

yes - forgot about that - she said same to me - 'don't use it until other expires'

I got both my 1 yr & 5 yr licenses in Lamphun.... Small place and no waiting whatsoever..... I went to renew my 1 yr to get my 5 yr a week before the 1 yr was to expire. They turned me away and told me to return in 2 weeks... and I did have a Thai speaker with me..... But as NeverDie has stated....The processes and requirements vary depending on where one goes, what day it is, what officer is assisting, and of course the phase of the moon... :)

• 1 month later...

To get the 5yrs license from the temponary license you most have a Non-Immigrant VISA . . . ,

If you are on Tourist Visa then you need to make the test again and then you get a new 1yr temponary license ! . . ,

This rule from Pattaya Office . , not sure its nation wide ?

To get the 5yrs license from the temponary license you most have a Non-Immigrant VISA . . . ,

If you are on Tourist Visa then you need to make the test again and then you get a new 1yr temponary license ! . . ,

This rule from Pattaya Office . , not sure its nation wide ?

There are NO nation wide rules. It depends on the office and time of month. :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

Then you got lucky for the law specifically states that a license has to be at least one year old before it can be renewed. This has been posted many times as the requirement and also stated directly to me by the officer and posted on the wall at the LTD.

I must have gotten lucky too. I just changed from a 1 year to a 5 year this past Monday, which was 1 week before my 1 year car license expired. I was told to use the old one until it expires and then switch to the new one.

I don't need any documents at all, I have lifetime drivers licences for both car and m/cycle.

I had one of those before, but they are all being changed for five year licences, watch your mail. They found that they were loosing millions in revenue.:ermm: