5 Year Drivers License

bjohn34

I didn't think you needed a residence cert for a renewal.

Wrong, you do need it for a renewal, as of yesterday.

As of yesterday, Is this a CM thing ??

I was asked for one when I renewed my licence last october, request nullified with my WP though.

I was asked for one when I renewed my licence last october, request nullified with my WP though.

Either OR. If you have a WP no CR. IF you are not on a WP you need a CR or a yellow house book.

I have license for car and bike. Renewed for a 5 year last August in Ubon. They wanted proof of address form from immigration for

each one, so 2 forms. Recently heard that immigration don't issue this form any more, must from your embassy,

which seems daft as it takes immigration a couple of minutes to issue. Perhaps members can clarify this cos the embassy thing is

a real pain. :)

CM Immigration issued me a certificate of residence yesterday. 500 Baht

Either OR. If you have a WP no CR. IF you are not on a WP you need a CR or a yellow house book.

Just to make it clear for me, if I have my yellow house book I do not need a residence cert. for my drivers license renewal (from 1 year to a 5 year)? If true this saves me a trip to immigration, I just need my Yellow book and 2 copies of it and my passport?

Just to make it clear for me, if I have my yellow house book I do not need a residence cert. for my drivers license renewal (from 1 year to a 5 year)? If true this saves me a trip to immigration, I just need my Yellow book and 2 copies of it and my passport

That is what the yellow book is for. Works about 95%. There is always the stubborn one. I use mine in stead of a CR.

Whilst I understand why the OP asked the question, clearly this is another example of how things differ depending on which office you go to & on which day you go there.

All the answers above are correct, even the conflicting ones :)

You need the same paper work for renewal as you needed for the original. The only difference is you can go 3 months early on renewal .

the 12 month temporary licence has to be expired before you apply for the 5 year licence. unless this has changed

You need the same paper work for renewal as you needed for the original. The only difference is you can go 3 months early on renewal .

the 12 month temporary licence has to be expired before you apply for the 5 year licence. unless this has changed

That is correct. Do not apply on the day of expiration they will turn you away. Apply the day after your license has a grace period.

That is correct. Do not apply on the day of expiration they will turn you away. Apply the day after your license has a grace period.

My one year license will have been expired 7 months when I get back to thailand, .can I still convert it to a five year or do I need to get a new one year liciense?

Not true, sorry... well at least for me in Feb....

I got my five year license in Feb around 30 days before the 1 year expired.

The lady issued me both my motorcycle and car licenses and told me to use the others until the expiry dates and then switch over to the new 5 year ones, which are valid on the day the 1 year temporary one ends.

Just did it... maybe being a Thai speaker helps, I don't know, but I had no problem getting mine within a 30 day window before expiration.

Edited by silkroadasia

I have license for car and bike. Renewed for a 5 year last August in Ubon. They wanted proof of address form from immigration for

each one, so 2 forms. Recently heard that immigration don't issue this form any more, must from your embassy,

which seems daft as it takes immigration a couple of minutes to issue. Perhaps members can clarify this cos the embassy thing is

You need a certificate of residence for each license application.

The certificates should be free at Immigration, so it seems they have began their old tricks again.

You need a certificate of residence for each license application.

The certificates should be free at Immigration, so it seems they have began their old tricks again.

The CR's have not been free for almost three years. Where have you been?

You certainly don't need 2 CRs in ChiangMai!

The original and a photocopy are acceptable if both licences are done at the same time.

500bht from Immigration is a bargain, the UK consulate want 2000bht for the same thing.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Then you got lucky for the law specifically states that a license has to be at least one year old before it can be renewed. This has been posted many times as the requirement and also stated directly to me by the officer and posted on the wall at the LTD.

Then you got lucky for the law specifically states that a license has to be at least one year old before it can be renewed. This has been posted many times as the requirement and also stated directly to me by the officer and posted on the wall at the LTD.

No, that is not true, sorry.

As I told you, the renewed license was valid the day the old one expired and the woman was clear that is standard procedure to issue the "future license" within 30 days of the expiration date. As I mentioned, you cannot use the new

license until the old one expires (the law you mention), but you can still have it in possession.

I think you are simply "unlucky", not that I am lucky, LOL :) I was even given a small slip of paper in English (which I don't really need since I can read Thai), and the paper stated the same thing; that 30 days before expiration you can come in and get your (future/next) license.

As mentioned, you cannot use the new license until the effective date (on the license) which is one year after the issue of the first one. This is standard just about everywhere in the world, not only Thailand.

Edited by silkroadasia

I was even given a small slip of paper in English (which I don't really need since I can read Thai), and the paper stated the same thing; that 30 days before expiration you can come in and get your (future/next) license.

In that case it is a recent change and one for the better as it makes more sense in that previously you would be driving illegally for at least one day. :)

I was even given a small slip of paper in English (which I don't really need since I can read Thai), and the paper stated the same thing; that 30 days before expiration you can come in and get your (future/next) license.

In that case it is a recent change and one for the better as it makes more sense in that previously you would be driving illegally for at least one day. :)

I did the same thing with my one year visa extension, I was advised by Immigration to come in and renew it anytime 30 days before the expiration, which I did in early March even though the one year expiration was in early April; and of course, next years renewal date is also in April (one year from the original expiration date, not from the date I visited).

I think many people confuse "effective date" with the Thai practice of permitting renewal within a 30 day window. Coming in early and renewing makes is easy for every one (no rush, no pressure, sabai sabai). I experienced the same with both my 5 year license and my one year visa extension this year. The Thai government workers seem to really appreciate the "no pressure - no rush" approach, and all made it clear to me that this is standard practice in Thailand.

Good luck!

OBTW, regarding paperwork, you do need two sets of your paperwork for both motorcycle and car license, as folks have mentioned. One set needs to be original documents, but the second set can be a photo copy (medical certificate, residency certification).

Edited by silkroadasia

I experienced the same with both my 5 year license and my one year visa extension this year.

You are correct about permission of stay extension and 30 days. Many years ago I went in to renew on the last day due to paperwork delays from work. The immigration officer chided me for doing it at the last minute. :D I try to get there now a week before but have to rely upon the uni to have the paperwork in order in a timely fashion which usually isn't so timely. :)

I experienced the same with both my 5 year license and my one year visa extension this year.

You are correct about permission of stay extension and 30 days. Many years ago I went in to renew on the last day due to paperwork delays from work. The immigration officer chided me for doing it at the last minute. :D I try to get there now a week before but have to rely upon the uni to have the paperwork in order in a timely fashion which usually isn't so timely. :)

Yes, before I used to also do things in the late (last) minute or day, and then things can get tense quickly. The official can easily, then, ask you for another form or photo, or whatever, that results in an overstay fine (and income for the government).

Doing these things in advance (usually within a 30 day window if possible), makes it sabai-sabai for everyone, and if you see that the room is too busy, overcrowded, or tense from some issue, you can smile and come back tomorrow, relaxed and happy, which we all know is one of the main "secret sauces" of making things happen here. In addition, there is little possibility, when you come in well in advance (again, within the permitted time window, normally 30 days here), that an official can find a reason to delay which results in either driving illegally or paying an immigration "got-ya" fine.

When in doubt, go into the office about 6 weeks in advance and find out what the current practice is, as things do change. If you can speak Thai well, of course that is very helpful, but for my drivers license renewal, I was given a slip of paper outlining the "come in 30 days before expiration" process that was in English.

Generally speaking, I find the Thai officials very helpful when you plan in advance and "less than helpful" when you are rushing the last minute. But this is the same everywhere in the world, isn't it? People always appreciate it when you are prepared, well in advance, and not rushing everyone, demanding they help you because your "whatever" expires tomorrow!

Edited by silkroadasia