Flaming And A Grumpy Old Englishman.

chimsa

I am not serious about having this thread closed. It has turned out to be very interesting in many ways and I, for one, have been enlightened.

Neither, for the record, am I against English language teachers in LOS. I have met a few, and whereas there are some that I would not wish upon my own children ie. no teaching background, no teaching skills and no genuine commitment to their job, there are others that I appreciate work hard and with success. The genuine ones.

The former give the impression that they are really here for other things (boozing and ladies), seem to think that the licence makes them a genuine professional and embark upon street talk (hence my connectiing them with internet "slang.") at all times. Their use of the English language is appalling (Tourette's apart) and I cringe at the fact that they are passing their uneducated ways onto unsuspecting Thai children.

They are the first to complain that a monthly salary of just over 30, 000 baht is insufficient. Fortunately they never last long. Their outgoings exceed their expenditure and they run out of funds.

I hereby apologise to the ex-pat teaching profession as a whole for my slack remarks in my O/P..

:)

Its a little narsasistic to demand that you be the one to decide when language is evolving and when it is being bastardized. I think you should consider your oath as a medical practioner before making a post like this.

"...never do harm to anyone"

remember that bit?

I was not demanding anything, rather just commenting upon something I found mildly disagreeable in respect of the use of my language. I wish to have no say in how my language evolves, except that I know how I personally wish to use it.

I take it you are referring to the Hippocratic Oath. This too has evolved and can broadly be interpreted as a promise on behalf of a doctor to do everthying he/she can, by using all the skills and knowledge at his/her disposal, so as to not to leave the patient in a worse condition after treatment.

It goes without say, that a doctor should not refuse to treat any sick person, for any reason.

I am not serious about having this thread closed. It has turned out to be very interesting in many ways and I, for one, have been enlightened.

Neither, for the record, am I against English language teachers in LOS. I have met a few, and whereas there are some that I would not wish upon my own children ie. no teaching background, no teaching skills and no genuine commitment to their job, there are others that I appreciate work hard and with success. The genuine ones.

The former give the impression that they are really here for other things (boozing and ladies), seem to think that the licence makes them a genuine professional and embark upon street talk (hence my connectiing them with internet "slang.") at all times. Their use of the English language is appalling (Tourette's apart) and I cringe at the fact that they are passing their uneducated ways onto unsuspecting Thai children.

They are the first to complain that a monthly salary of just over 30, 000 baht is insufficient. Fortunately they never last long. Their outgoings exceed their expenditure and they run out of funds.

I hereby apologise to the ex-pat teaching profession as a whole for my slack remarks in my O/P..

:)

+1 :D

The terminology seems informal because it developed in an academic environment. The UNIX world in general is full of that stuff and the web is an extension of it. To someone from the non-IT world it would seem like childish slang, but it's actually long established and not likely to fall into disuse.