Buying A Fortuner(95%), But How ?

Hi,

I've got an (almost) 2 year old with another one in the basket. Got to get some wheels.

I would like to wait, since the Thai-Japan FTA might (<10%) make a big difference in in-country prices and have a major impact on vehicle selection(I haven't considered many of the imports due to their astronomical prices caused by various taxes)

After looking around we have decided that the Toyota Fortuner looks pretty good. Going to test drive the Diesel and benzene versions (as well as Mitsibushi's Space Wagon - though I , like others, have seen press reports of possible high level cover ups of reliability and safety problems) this weekend.

I have a couple of questions; I haven't bought a car in Thailand before.

When you go to the dealers, they hand you a price list. For the Fortuner, its the same list from every dealer, there are three models on sale with prices:

Model...........................Price List Quote.....Wait Time........Kilometers/Liter

--------------------------.....------------------......------------........-------------------

2.7 Gas(benzene) Auto...1.119 Million baht....1 month........11.2

3.0 Diesel Auto..............1.219 Million baht....5-7 months.....11.2

3.0 Diesel Manual..........999,000 baht...........< 1 month......9

Q1: Can you negotiate with the dealer on price ?

(Seems like options are all standard with these models, so can't get freebee options). Can you negotiate with these dealers on anything ? We are going to pay cash for our vehicle, though we could finance since my wife is thai.

Q2: Should I wait for the FTA to be completed(my feeling is that they aren't going to cut taxes appreciably - but I'm not sure - I think the Thai govt gets too much money off of these taxes to cut them very much in the near term).

Q3: My wife wants to get a car within the next few months (she wants to get some road time in on a new car before she gets into the latter stages of pregnancy). I haven't looked into it, but it may be possible to rent one for a few months while we are waiting for ours to come in.

a. Do all the Toyota dealers have the same wait time for each model, or are

some dealers able to get a particular model faster (should I call around until I

find a diesel model, auto trans, available)?

b. Is it worth it to wait for 6 months or so to get the Diesel, Auto/T model or

should I just go for the Gas(Benzene) model. Manual Trans is not an option

for my wife.

Thanks for your help, :o

phormio

You should get some options or extras included. Some dealers will also give 1st class ins. for a year which is about20,000bht.

Look around neighboring cities to see if the's any in stock. Some colours have longer waiting lists.

Stick to the auto,diesel. In the end diesel will always be cheaper as the truckers and farmers use it. As for the wife learning to drive such a large veh. to start with you might want to look at buying older car in the 100,00bht range to practice on.

Q1: Can you negotiate with the dealer on price ?

(Seems like options are all standard with these models, so can't get freebee options). Can you negotiate with these dealers on anything ? We are going to pay cash for our vehicle, though we could finance since my wife is thai.

Q2: Should I wait for the FTA to be completed(my feeling is that they aren't going to cut taxes appreciably - but I'm not sure - I think the Thai govt gets too much money off of these taxes to cut them very much in the near term).

Q3: My wife wants to get a car within the next few months (she wants to get some road time in on a new car  before she gets into the latter stages of pregnancy).  I haven't looked into it, but it may be possible to rent one for a few months while we are waiting for ours to come in.

a. Do all the Toyota dealers have the same wait time for each model, or are

some dealers able to get a particular model faster (should I call around until I

find a diesel model, auto trans,  available)?

b. Is it worth it to wait for  6 months or so to get the Diesel, Auto/T model or

should I just go for the Gas(Benzene) model. Manual Trans is not an option

for my wife.

1. Normally if a discount is available, sales will let you know before you ask. I've seen new Honda Accord at dealer being discounted for more than B100K for last of the stocks of that year model before a major model change. But I don't think you should expect any discount for Fortuner as it is the best selling SUV at the moment (I believe) and there's a long list of customers waiting delivery (heard up to 5 months at a time). And I don't think cash or finance really makes any difference to a dealer as it's not the dealer you're financing with.

2. FTA accord with Japan isn't likely to affect the price of Fortuner. Fortuner is the first Japanese car to have been developed entirely in Thailand from the scratch, so I expect the local contents quantity to be very high. Most Japanese cars assembled in Thailand achieve some 80% or higher local contents. For Fortuner (which was developed and engineered in Thailand), I'm not so sure if a single part/component is imported from Japan. I would bet all of the parts/components for Vigo/Fortuner are sourced entirely from within ASEAN (my company included). Import duty on CKD part is some 30% at the moment if I remember correctly, and if import tax on component that is only a small percentage of the entire value of the car will drop from 30 to 5%, it shouldn't be significant enough for Toyota to make any price adjustment.

3. Don't know the answer. I think same wait period at any dealer.

You might want to buy a car during the motor show.

There are two motor shows in Thailand each year, one at BITEC in April and another at Muan Thong Thani around Nov. - Dec. I believe Dealers give you some small discount + extra accessories and options than usual on certain models during this period.

Edited by Nordlys

But very often not. At least with Toyota.

The only thing to negotiate with dealers is free add-ons - some they will throw in, some you'll have to remember to ask. Generally sales girls are very nice to give you some hints - you'll get the general set anyway, nothing special.

Waste of time looking round dealers for better deals, practically all the same,except some more helpful than othersWent to 12 dealers last year when I bought my Toyota. Some will give you gold when you don't want the options!

Found choice of models and helpfullness best in Korat where I bought the car. Bangkok dealers mainly a pain.

Phormio,

Your fuel consumption figures are wrong.

Should that be  litres  per 100km

Your're right. I mis-typed it. But I've gotten more data since the post.

In fact, a Toyota Dealer in Bangkapi claims that if you drive at 80 Kpm/hour constant velocity, you'll get 14 Kilometers per litre(3.0 Diesel engine). The gas engine gets 9 Kilometers/liter.

Also, being the lucky chap that I am, I will be able (through fortuitous connections) to get the Diesel Fortuner in 2 months from the word go.

Oh what a lucky man I are.

Phormio,

Your fuel consumption figures are wrong.

Should that be  litres  per 100km

Your're right. I mis-typed it. But I've gotten more data since the post.

In fact, a Toyota Dealer in Bangkapi claims that if you drive at 80 Kpm/hour constant velocity, you'll get 14 Kilometers per litre(3.0 Diesel engine). The gas engine gets 9 Kilometers/liter.

Also, being the lucky chap that I am, I will be able (through fortuitous connections) to get the Diesel Fortuner in 2 months from the word go.

Oh what a lucky man I are.

Thank you, Phormio, I thought something was wrong.

Stick with that Toyota dealer he sounds honest.

I have had dealers claiming 23 kms/litre for an Isuzu.

Absolute BS

I had test drove the Fortuna benzene (gas) model with 2.7 engine the ride was smooth and quiet. I like the benzene model cos the car won't vibrate as compared to diesel model. I placed a booking (in mid May'05) and was told have to wait for about 1 to 1.5 month, but I received a call from the agent (3 June) that the car has arrived in CM. :o

I’ve just got a 2.7L version 10 days ago. Dependant on colour, they have that version at the BaraWindsor dealer within days - they will also deliver to your hosue. Generally dealers in Thailand don’t negotiate price, they prefer to offer interest deals or some freebies. Dealers do not all have the same wait time – BaraWindsor was the quickest we could find. Its an excellent buy.

Its not a bad car but the rear leg room is a tad on the tight side. The best deals are almost always to behad in the provinces where its harder to sell. However the Fortuner is way too popular for any discounts, but add ons and freebies are to be had. IMHO the Vigo 4x4 four door pick-up is a better buy,and more practical forthe most part.

I had test drove the Fortuna benzene (gas) model with 2.7 engine the ride was smooth and quiet. I like the benzene model cos the car won't vibrate as compared to diesel model. I placed a booking (in mid May'05) and was told have to wait for about 1 to 1.5 month, but I received a call from the agent (3 June) that the car has arrived in CM. :o

We test drove the 3.0-V automatic (Diesel). Didn't notice any vibration nor any noise problems (I insisted on a test drive of the Diesel to check for just such problems); looks like the common-rail diesel design licks those problems, but I must admit we didn't test it at highway speeds . We will be mostly driving it around town anyway.

Its not a bad car but the rear leg room is a tad on the tight side. The best deals are almost always to behad in the provinces where its harder to sell. However the Fortuner is way too popular for any discounts, but add ons and freebies are to be had. IMHO  the Vigo 4x4 four door pick-up is a better buy,and more practical forthe most part.

You're right on about all of it . The rear leg room - it is a little tight there. I didn't even look at the Vigo(probably should have). I'll try and see if they'll throw in the roof rack and luggage tray (20,000 bt) as a freebie.

We're going to a nearby province to shave off 3-4 months of wait time.