Why Do You Live In Phuket

petercallen

I live here because it has a great climate, good friends both Thai and expat, a partner who really

cares about me and i care about her, the friendliness of the Thai people and the genuine expats,

The good fresh food and vegetables very cheap compared to aussie and very reasonably priced

restaurants, the closeness of other holiday destinations ( for me that includes Australia now i live

here). I am not interested in bars the last time we went to a bar was 6 months ago when a neighbor

opened a new bar, and the easy going lifestyle. it would be interesting to know why other people

live or retire here.

:) spot on, I came here for those reasons as well..... except i am trying to make a living here by running a restaurant/bar with a few bungalows out the back: never ending staff issues, supply issues, rental/lease issues, not to mention the political unrest that has driven tourism down I wonder how much longer i will stay, working 7 days a week takes it toll when one does not have time to enjoy the tropical Island we live on.

What keeps me here is knowing that in the morning i can enjoy the ocean view out front of my restaurant, once or twice a month i get to use my friends fishing boat parked in front of my place, and yes I love the markets, people, culture, most of my customers are longtime friends, I have been doing this here in Rawai for almost 5 years now and generaly find the locals to be good neighbors as long as one treats them with respect.

I hope that i will be able to continue to be a resident of Phuket, at times i get tired of the greyness of the law and certain dangers of driving etc etc but all in all Phuket still has lots to offer.

I am envious of the expats that live/retired here without having to depend on making income here and the expats who work offshore. My advice to all newbies is don't try to do business here.

Sawadee

jay

post-69690-1271388066_thumb.jpg

Edited by 69690jay

Same reasons as Peter and Jay.

Despite some shortcomings, IMO Phuket is still by far the best place in Thailand. Perhaps expensive to some but come on people, it's an island with fantastic climate and top notch beatches. International Airport, schools, hospitals, restaurants featuring cuisine from just about any corner of the world, national parks, beautiful women....

Phuket natives are very nice, do not put them in same basket with those who came from other provinces in search of better life and job opportunities. These come and go, some are looking to make quick buck by all means....hence sudden increase in crime rate involving Isaan and Nakhon folks etc...

I met some great people here, locals and foreigners but there are scums too, just like anywhere else in this world. Stlll not bad enough to make me reconsider and move elsewhere.

My advice to all newbies is don't try to do business here.

Sawadee

jay

I've been telling people for 25 years, Phuket is a place to SPEND your money, not MAKE your money. I remember a guy from Belgium told me that. He was an old hand. In 1985 he told me, young fella if you listen to anything I say only remember this one thing.

"Never try to make money here, make your money in your own country on your own playing field. Then come and enjoy it here and you will have no problems."

Same reasons as Peter and Jay.

Despite some shortcomings, IMO Phuket is still by far the best place in Thailand. Perhaps expensive to some but come on people, it's an island with fantastic climate and top notch beatches. International Airport, schools, hospitals, restaurants featuring cuisine from just about any corner of the world, national parks, beautiful women....

Phuket natives are very nice, do not put them in same basket with those who came from other provinces in search of better life and job opportunities. These come and go, some are looking to make quick buck by all means....hence sudden increase in crime rate involving Isaan and Nakhon folks etc...

I met some great people here, locals and foreigners but there are scums too, just like anywhere else in this world. Stlll not bad enough to make me reconsider and move elsewhere.

100% on the money...this is absolutely fact! Simply enjoy what appeals to you and ignore all that doesn't appeal..life is great on Phuket . :)

I don't know about the whole of Phuket but Rawai/ Nai Harn is for me my final destination. Love the scenery, love the (most of them) people, love my wife and love the life !

And to Jay, I'm one of the lucky one's who live on retirement income BUT I do support the local business by eating out almost daily :-)

Well, I'm not as lucky as the rest of you. I've been coming for 9 years, have a house, friends etc and long for the day when I can move full-time. When my son goes to university next year my wife and I will be in the position to come over one month in three. The business situation in the UK means that I need to work longer than I had hoped, but hey - I can still come.

I've been lucky enough to travel quite a lot, and nowhere tops Phuket in where I want to live.

after meeting my girlfriend (Filipino) and being totally fed up with the ratrace of life in the UK.. I sold up and moved here to live with my gf... what with selling up in the UK i currently dont work or I'm lucky enough i dont have to ..(she does) but who knows i might even try to find a job in a little while... a phuket virgin at only 4 months in so far...

I agree with everybody above I work 28/28 in West Africa so I can choose where I want to live for 6 months of the Year have been here nearly 5 years now. Originally from Scotland was living in Dubai for 3 years and came to Phuket on holiday. That was the start every bit of free time Phuket Phuket got to the stage as soon as I was in that Taxi from the Airport I felt as If I was home so I moved lock stock & barrel furniture, cat, dog, wife.

All still here apart from wife not her cup of tea.

I now have a great Thai partner who may become a wife will play that one by ear. When I first came I lived in Kata but after looking around Rawai Nai Harn was the place to be and after two Rented Villas I have bought my own overlooking the Sea with amazing Sunrises. Sunsets I tend to spend at Jay's . The People in general are great I agree with Jay respect gains respect, shopping is great the food is great. The Airport for such a small island is superb I can leave Phuket at 10.30am one morning and be in Angola at 04.45 local time the next even though its about 16,000km via Frankfurt.

If asked what I like about Scotland it would be the Mountains the greenery the rivers the sea and the Beaches, Phuket has the same but with the great Weather. Golf courses 8 crackers, fishing both Freshwater and Saltwater although the Sea Fishing is in decline because of over fishing by the Trawlers.

Crime has got worse and there are many more Scamming lowlife Farang but having been here long enough I know who and where to avoid.

I have only been to Patong about 3 times in 5 years mostly to get something from Carrefour but now we have a Villas at Chalong no need to head over the hills to Sodom & Gomorrah.

The Cost of living although by Thai standards expensive is good and if you know who & where there are great sparkies plumbers etc around.

I love Phuket and hate leaving but I know that I am coming back and once I am in that car on the way down from the airport the feeling is as good as a massage. I am getting homesick now due back wednesday as long as that dam_n Volcano stops and flights are resumed.

I have met some great friends from all over the world in Phuket . Thai Culture, Weather , Food, Scenery, Standard of Living, Hospitals,Shops,Transport (Not Tuk Tuk's) International Friends who appreciate the same, GOMS.

Paradise That Is Phuket here I come.

I am also the lucky one that has the boat that Jays uses for fishing now and again

Neill

President

Rawai Beach IGFA Fishing Club

post-38386-1271421807_thumb.jpg

Ocean_Hunter_Sunrise_4.pdf

Because my ex wanted to live in Phuket. I only found out afterwards why...... :)

I wanted to live in Khao Lak, but such is life.

I'm settled here now, have friends etc. Don't want to go through making new friends in a strange land all over again.

My advice to all newbies is don't try to do business here.

Sawadee

jay

I've been telling people for 25 years, Phuket is a place to SPEND your money, not MAKE your money. I remember a guy from Belgium told me that. He was an old hand. In 1985 he told me, young fella if you listen to anything I say only remember this one thing.

"Never try to make money here, make your money in your own country on your own playing field. Then come and enjoy it here and you will have no problems."

How to leave Thailand as a millionaire?......................arrive as a multi-millionaire!

How to leave Thailand as a millionaire?......................arrive as a multi-millionaire!

I always thought that joke was " how do you make a small fortune in Thailand?" Start with a large fortune.

Back to topic with no biography, I always have found that if you live in a place where people that live in a holiday place come for their holdiay, then you've found a special place, as I still consider Phuket to be.

I don't know about the whole of Phuket but Rawai/ Nai Harn is for me my final destination. Love the scenery, love the (most of them) people, love my wife and love the life !

And to Jay, I'm one of the lucky one's who live on retirement income BUT I do support the local business by eating out almost daily :-)

me too .. never forget you need 2 things to live here,MONEY AND LUCK....

Half living in Phuket (6 months per year - usually during Melbourne's [Aus] winter). Been a Phuket regular since the 80s and enjoy the (usually) easy going lifestyle. Been intending to move full time for several years, but things keep coming up back in Oz (as they did, at the last moment, again this year). Definitely (90%) permanent next year, but this year I'm back again for my usual half year next month. I prefer Patong for the convenience of living there, but rarely venture to the main tourist strip (Bangla) and also spend much of my time elsewhere on the island.

I certainly don't have the rose coloured glasses about the place that I had in my early days in Phuket, but it is still a far better lifestyle than I could have at home. The main downsides are that I tend to spend a lot more money in Phuket than I do in Oz - so in that respect, it is not actually cheaper for me per se - and the pay television programming is lousy compared with Oz. I would also like to be able to buy/own a house and land freehold in my own name (legitimately and without the risky company set up or leasing of land), but I'm fine with renting and don't like condos.

I've found most Thai people have good hearts, but there is definitely an element of racists and ne'er-do-wells amongst them and some can be two-faced - and yes, many of these types them seem to be people from other provinces who come to work in Phuket. However, overall, it is my experience that there's not a great deal of difference between the ratio of good and bad Thai and good and bad Aussies (in their own country), but I would put the outward politeness of Thais as generally higher than that of Aussies. The difference is that many Thais still see foreigners as often being wealthy - which, in comparative terms, most of us are - and that tends to lend the foreigners some (often undeserved) extra element of respect (and, conversely, jealousy and open disrespect on occasions). I have noticed that the number of Thais I would describe in the negative seems to have increased over the years in the areas frequented by tourists, possibly because of the behaviour of some tourists. Also, tourists from some nations have a poor general reputation with many Thais and so - perhaps unfairly - all people from those nations tend to be disliked.

Basicaly those of us that came here in the 80's found a beautiful island. Ok, its changed a bit and the tsunami hurt alot of people. But its still a great place to live and raise a family. Good schools, hospitals, transportation etc.

I live in Kamala, WHY? cause over 85% of the people that also live here were born here which is not true anywhere else on the beach, ( surely not Patong, Kata, Rawaii, Nah Harn etc)

Great beach and the low season is heaven.

Basicaly those of us that came here in the 80's found a beautiful island. Ok, its changed a bit and the tsunami hurt alot of people. But its still a great place to live and raise a family. Good schools, hospitals, transportation etc.

I live in Kamala, WHY? cause over 85% of the people that also live here were born here which is not true anywhere else on the beach, ( surely not Patong, Kata, Rawaii, Nah Harn etc)

Great beach and the low season is heaven.

I gather Kamala is bad for dogs though. Or is it just rumour that lots get poisoned? Being a moslem area it sounds true, but gossip is often wrong.

I don't live in the area, but I know of one dog that was definitely poisoned. The others could be gossip or then again, it could be true?

if you live in a place where people that live in a holiday place come for their holdiay, then you've found a special place, as I still consider Phuket to be.

Exactly. Millions of people work hard all year just to spend two weeks here. That says a lot.

For me it's not just Phuket itself, it's the whole region. I have just enjoyed a couple of days in Krabi, and the lovely drive through the back roads to get there. You could spend 10 life times here and not see all there is to see in the area, especially not the islands off shore.

I don't.

Samui has better climate. :)

I have a villa in Samui as well as Phuket (also a house in Bangkok) but I prefer Phuket the most. Samui is great but very island centric, not much to do after a few days and many of the locals are a bit weird ( only my impression).

I spent over 10 years in Bangkok but, except for business, it seems to be missing something. I don't live under the misconception that Phuket is the perfect island paradise but over the last 13 years also since I first built my first villa here I think it is a great balance between east and west.

I've lived here for ten years, and can't imagine living anywhere else.

Why? All of the reasons given above. Phuket has its problems, but it's an amazing, magical place, with something new and different happening every day.

Edited by woodyleonhard

I have a villa in Samui as well as Phuket (also a house in Bangkok) but I prefer Phuket the most. Samui is great but very island centric, not much to do after a few days and many of the locals are a bit weird ( only my impression).

I spent over 10 years in Bangkok but, except for business, it seems to be missing something. I don't live under the misconception that Phuket is the perfect island paradise but over the last 13 years also since I first built my first villa here I think it is a great balance between east and west.

Yeh, no one likes a show off. :)

Why? All of the reasons given above. Phuket has its problems, but it's an amazing, magical place, with something new and different happening every day.

'An amazing, magical place'. you'd never know it to hear all the moany crap on here. Why don't we have more threads like this. More threads sharing knowledge of where to go, what to do, how to have fun. What's great about the place.

There'll always be room for the doom and gloom, Tuk Tuk gang, but why not make those posts the minority, and positive ones the majority.

I'll re-quote... 'An amazing, magical place'.

'An amazing, magical place'. you'd never know it to hear all the moany crap on here. Why don't we have more threads like this. More threads sharing knowledge of where to go, what to do, how to have fun. What's great about the place.

There'll always be room for the doom and gloom, Tuk Tuk gang, but why not make those posts the minority, and positive ones the majority.

At last a positive thread, thank you Budda. I live here becuase its great and a whole lot better than west yorkshire, I do sometimes miss the long summer evenings but never the short winter days.

Edited by paulfromphuket

yes great quote Abrak , it does have everything for me never a dull moment.... woohoo please do not mention the T.. T.. look what happened last time LOL

You are 100% correct.......the poeple i know who have followed those rules are mostly still here....

Its good to read so many positive posts about Phuket for a change,

for anyone who is retired its a great place to live and also for people who fly in and out for there work,

for people who have businesses here it must be very hard, especially in the small tourist orientated

businesses there are just to many of them trying to make a living from the same thing.

I personally love living here and have no intention of leaving, the one thing which would make it

perfect is if the government would allow me to own one house and the land it stands on after all

i cannot pack it in a bag and take it with me if i leave, i have heard rumors this may happen if it

does Phuket would be true paradise to me.

if the government would allow me to own one house and the land it stands on after all

i cannot pack it in a bag and take it with me if i leave, i have heard rumors this may happen if it

I think you and a lot of others, underestimate how badly that would affect the country. I think the paradise as we know it wouldn't last long. I don't think it will ever happen however, so I don't think we'll ever find out.

Its good to read so many positive posts about Phuket for a change,

for anyone who is retired its a great place to live and also for people who fly in and out for there work,

for people who have businesses here it must be very hard, especially in the small tourist orientated

businesses there are just to many of them trying to make a living from the same thing.

I personally love living here and have no intention of leaving, the one thing which would make it

perfect is if the government would allow me to own one house and the land it stands on after all

90 years lease (no 3 x 30) is likely within a few years. farang freehold for land does not seem likely, except present investment visa/40 mill baht bonds

I think you and a lot of others, underestimate how badly that would affect the country. I think the paradise as we know it wouldn't last long. I don't think it will ever happen however, so I don't think we'll ever find out.

Other than the danger of carpet-baggers, which could fairly easily be legislated against, why would it be bad for the country? (Not a challenge, I genuinely don't know).

Other than the danger of carpet-baggers, which could fairly easily be legislated against, why would it be bad for the country? (Not a challenge, I genuinely don't know).

Excuse my ignorance, 'carpet-baggers'???

I obviously don't know for sure, I just have a strong feeling it couldn't possibly be in Thailand or Thai peoples advantage.

Firstly there is the wealth issue. Farang could buy every inch of Thailand a thousand times over. Where would that leave the Thais? They would become second class citizens in their own country.

Then there is the kind of people we're talking about. Thailand always has, and always will attract a certain kind of person. You give those people the ability to own land and the rights that come with it. Think of Pattaya x 100. A lot of people on TV harp on about the Thais disdain for Farang and violence toward them. I don't see too much of it myself, but can you imagine how that would escalate if Farang legally owned most of the country.

The way I see it. If you marry a Thai, and it is a legitimate relationship with legs, then you can in theory own what ever you want, it will just be in your wifes and children's names, not yours.

That of course is unfair to the decent folk, without Thai partners, who have integrated themselves in to the Thai community and would be perfect candidates to own their own land. But that's the way life is, the wrongens ruining things for every body else.

Maybe I'm biased because I have no fear putting anything in my families name, but putting individuals personal desires to one side, the laws as they are have to be the best for the country as a whole. That includes the strict employment laws as well.