Chiangmai Ram I.c.u

Maejo Man

Just returned from a visit to the ICU at the Chiangmai Ram, and was astonished at the number of Farangs that were in this particular ICU (not sure if they have more than one)

I went in to visit a friend who was admitted last night with a preforated gastric ulcer. and counted five other Farangs not looking at all well, but I suppose that's why they are there. On leaving I booked myself in for a complete check up next week :)

I had a badly broken tooth about 4 PM yesterday and no vehicles could make it to RAM so I had to walk through the gauntlet of water to get there. There were quite a few Thai customers and a few farangs who got through the crowds. They removed most of the tooth and, as usual, it did not hurt a bit. I was most appreciative that they were there.

CMR is aimed at white people, far too expensive for most Thais

Completely not true. I have had two operations in theatre there in the past week & for every farang there are 20 Thai people. It simply is a good place where I would be happy to go for any attention because they are essentially capable and have a caring attitude. If you want to go elsewhere be mu guest but don't accuse Ram of being a farang oriented place when it is simply not borne out by the evidence.

CMR is aimed at white people, far too expensive for most Thais

Completely not true. I have had two operations in theatre there in the past week & for every farang there are 20 Thai people. It simply is a good place where I would be happy to go for any attention because they are essentially capable and have a caring attitude. If you want to go elsewhere be mu guest but don't accuse Ram of being a farang oriented place when it is simply not borne out by the evidence.

I agree with your assessment. I was there today at 2:30 for every farang there was at least 5 Thais and I'm not counting staff.

Aftermath of Songkran? :D

A distinct possibility mate :) In this instance it was to see one of our ex posters on Thai Visa.....John B Good

Just in case you misunderstood my reference it is to the large increase in bacterial infections that occur each year due to the water. A few years ago I had a testicular infection where one was about 3-4 times larger then normal and had to walk with great care from the pain. Went to the Loi Kroh clinic and the doc knew what it was immediately as it apparently wasn't that uncommon this time of year, along with eye infections and respiratory infections. He gave me a shot and some pills and was much better in one day and cleared up in 3. Gives new meaning to "grow some". :D Believe that was when my enthusiasm for Songkran faded.

Hope John will be OK and keep us informed.

...it was to see one of our ex posters on Thai Visa.....John B Good

Is John B. OK? I have missed his posts.

I hope to see him out of ICU in a couple of days, and will know more when I see him in the am.

oh, i wondered where he got to

in fact I thought he was posting under a different name recently, as the person who i thought it was, writes the same as JBG

to coin the phrase " wouldnt know <deleted> from shinola" :)

well hope he makes a speedy recovery

Just in case you misunderstood my reference it is to the large increase in bacterial infections that occur each year due to the water.

No misunderstanding, as we well know Suan Dok is full of Songkran revellers with all sorts of nasty infections this time of year, and probably the Ram too. I bought half of Rimping the sunday before, and locked my front gate :)

Will keep you posted...MM

Edited by Maejo Man

Aftermath of Songkran? :D

A distinct possibility mate :) In this instance it was to see one of our ex posters on Thai Visa.....John B Good

Just in case you misunderstood my reference it is to the large increase in bacterial infections that occur each year due to the water. A few years ago I had a testicular infection where one was about 3-4 times larger then normal and had to walk with great care from the pain. Went to the Loi Kroh clinic and the doc knew what it was immediately as it apparently wasn't that uncommon this time of year, along with eye infections and respiratory infections. He gave me a shot and some pills and was much better in one day and cleared up in 3. Gives new meaning to "grow some". :D Believe that was when my enthusiasm for Songkran faded.

wasnt from working out with the monks then? :D

No testicular infection here...but I did have a raging sinus infection (headache, all kinds of nastiness) that started right after the first bucket or so that was aimed at my head early in the week.

Yesterday I thought I had a brain tumor and was dying. Went to local pharmacy, bought a simple red rubber bulb "nose cleaner" (sold for cleaning baby's nose) and 2 bottles of saline solution. Did a full blast out of the sinus cavities....right as rain today, as the Ozzies say.

88 B total. Didn't have to run the gantlet to Ram, or Sripat, or Loi Kroh Clinic.....where I would no doubt have also picked up an ear infection, and some H1N1, with a bit of elephantiasis thrown in.... :)

I used to have my annual check-up at Bumrungrod or BGH. Now I travel to Chiangmai and have it done at the Ram. They do far more

tests and are much cheaper. At the former two mentioned they charge extra for what I consider the essential tests which are included in the Ram check-up. Which makes them twice as expensive. My only criticism is that like most other hospitals the Ram overcharges for drugs. So I politely tell them I wish to purchase the medicine at one of the wholesale chemists. They are not happy about this, but they can not reject this request.

When there is an accident involving a farang in Chiang Mai that an ambulance responds to it automatically takes the farang to CM Ram. The ambulance driver probably gets kick backs. I could be wrong.

In your case a concerned witness told them to take you to the Ram. I think I have the right Richard of Sompet market accident fame :)

When there is an accident involving a farang in Chiang Mai that an ambulance responds to it automatically takes the farang to CM Ram. The ambulance driver probably gets kick backs. I could be wrong.

i always thought it was whether which hospital ambulance responded first, hence you see different ambulances racing to the same accident.

So I politely tell them I wish to purchase the medicine at one of the wholesale chemists. They are not happy about this, but they can not reject this request.

Depends on the doctor. The one I've been seeing for hypertension & cholesterol issues actually recommended I get them at an outside pharmacy. He just asked that I get the Aspent (aspirin) at the hospital which is the cheapest of the bunch.