Renewing Thai Driver's License

Roachiebkk

Hi all,

Need a bit of advice if anyone can help. I lived in Thailand for nine years but have sadly moved on. i still keep up with whats going on there and still have an interest in the Baghdad Cafe in Banglamphu. I have a Thai drivers license which is up for renewal on 20 June, I got the license when I had my work permit of course. I am planning on popping back over for a week or so around this time and was wondering if it is a problem to renew the license for a further 5 years without having a work permit? I have an APEC ABTC card which of course gives me 90 days on entry to perform limited business and was wondering if this would be enough to get the license renewed.

Now living in Turkey and the mere thought of trying to get a license here has me breaking out in a cold sweat, not that I've ever needed one here but my ex-colonel father inlaw is keen to see me obeying the local laws lol.

Thanks for any advice

Roachie

As you have lived in Thailand, you know things are not the same at each traffic department.....

My understanding from the Rayong traffic department is that you need a work permit to renew your 5 year, I have had no problems getting mine renewed, but I am on a WP and they do ask to see the WP and a copy goes in the records....With that being said, I am sure someone will come along and say they have renewed a 5 year DL without a WP...

I wouldnt have thought the APEC card would have no relevance

I am also retired so no WP but I did have to produce a letter confirming my address though in my case I gave them a copy of my yellow tabien baan.

I gave in

1 copy of my passport photo page

2 copy of my visa page

3 copy of my TM7 card

4 copy of my letter of confirmation of address from the embassy translated and verified at the MFA ( I needed it for the yellow tabien baan anyway)

5 old licence

This was in Khampaeng Phet in March this year some 2 months before expiry date.

I probably gave them too much paperwork but they were happy enough with it.

Good luck