Double Loop Wire Tie & Tying Tools (to Use To Join Bamboo)

JimShortz

I'm looking for the double looped wires and fastening tool something like the one found here: http://www.bedfordind.com/Bedford_Level3/f...uble_wire.shtml

Has anyone ever seen such a thing in Thailand? (preferably Chiang Mai since that is where I live)

I'm planning to make a bamboo structure and I want this to tie the joints with wire using this tool. It seems like a good idea, but I can't find the tool!

Just curious, why not use bamboo straps to tie the joints? I've built several 100% bamboo structures and find them to be durable, attractive, readily available, and free. No real drawbacks, just need a few minutes to learn how to make them. The strapping you are looking at appear to rely on a few threads of steel which could rust away quickly.

Just curious, why not use bamboo straps to tie the joints? I've built several 100% bamboo structures and find them to be durable, attractive, readily available, and free. No real drawbacks, just need a few minutes to learn how to make them. The strapping you are looking at appear to rely on a few threads of steel which could rust away quickly.

Could you explain more what you mean by bamboo straps, or perhaps provide me with a link to where I can find more? It sounds like an interesting option; I'm very interested in finding out about any good (and fairly straightforward!) ways of joining bamboo together.

I don't know the correct term for the bamboo fasteners so can't point you to an image. But if you have ever seen a sticky rice basket, that's what you want. Thin strips of bamboo. Just about any rural Thai should be able to show you how to make these strips as they are used for many, many purposes. The process is like this and can be done with just a machete:

1. get a desired length of bamboo with no culm that is still green

2. split it half over and over until you have about a half centimeter piece

3. strip off the inner and outer surface

4. continue splitting in half again until you have thin pieces. The right thickness is what you see in the rice baskets. Too thin can be too weak, too thick can be too inflexible. Now you have the straps.

5. fasten by grasping the ends with thumb and finger, twisting, then tuck the end. This takes some trial and error to learn how to crank it good and tight with a circular twisting motion.

If the straps should dry before use, wet them to make them flexible.

Bamboo joinery is different from normal wood. Nails should not be used as they will split bamboo. Bamboo pegs are useful, but the holes should be pre-drilled. Look also at the birds mouth joint.

I don't know the correct term for the bamboo fasteners so can't point you to an image. But if you have ever seen a sticky rice basket, that's what you want. Thin strips of bamboo. Just about any rural Thai should be able to show you how to make these strips as they are used for many, many purposes. The process is like this and can be done with just a machete:

1. get a desired length of bamboo with no culm that is still green

2. split it half over and over until you have about a half centimeter piece

3. strip off the inner and outer surface

4. continue splitting in half again until you have thin pieces. The right thickness is what you see in the rice baskets. Too thin can be too weak, too thick can be too inflexible. Now you have the straps.

5. fasten by grasping the ends with thumb and finger, twisting, then tuck the end. This takes some trial and error to learn how to crank it good and tight with a circular twisting motion.

If the straps should dry before use, wet them to make them flexible.

Bamboo joinery is different from normal wood. Nails should not be used as they will split bamboo. Bamboo pegs are useful, but the holes should be pre-drilled. Look also at the birds mouth joint.

Thanks for that mate, just finished building a shade house frame ( for "her in door's" million orchids) with bamboo from our farm and hardwood uprights! Used nails in predrilled holes wit minimal splitting...now I see there was a better way..cannot picture the binding setup though...drill holes.. can you advise how many and routing of strips of bamboo? Would that spiney bamboo they use for chairs be stronger ..we have a few stands of the lethal stuff lol. If you have a photo of the binding I would like to see it..maybe it is like my bamboo "recliner" construction I bought from street peddlers..but I notice lots of little nails??

Thanks for your help ..

rgds

david