Chiang Mai University Lanuage Institute

AZBill

I'm thinking of taking the TEFL course at Chiang Mai University's Language Institute this summer. Anyone have experiences to share about this program? Is it my best choice in Chiang Mai? Opinions appreciated!

Not sure why the responses here are so unhelpful.

I did this program two years ago, and no, I did not like it. The facilities at the university were great, and the teaching practice was productive and fun. The problem is that I didn't learn nearly enough to justify a four-week course. In fact, most the of the work we did was simply drawing--they forced us to prepare all of our teaching materials from scratch with crayons, and we never learned to teach from published materials (i.e., coursebooks).

The other problem I have--and I have to be vague here, to avoid running afoul of any forum regulations--is with the people running and teaching the course. And I'm talking about westerners here, not Thais.

The trouble is that almost nobody ever takes two different TEFL courses. I met two who had taken their course and gotten a lot out of it. Our Teaching forum sponsor, SEE TEFL, is highly recommended.

Why do you say they are 'highly recommended' ?

Simply because they are a sponsor???

Yeah CMU TEFL is the best. I dun it.

Regardless of it's actual quality.

Because the Thai's employers like BLING.

and you get a shiny purple satin certificate holder.

Actually the other language courses can't remember the names, CELTA, and some other brain numbingly dull course carry more weight.

Cos they actually does gramma like. innit.

But do you get a shiny-purple-embossed-with-a-silver-elephant CMU certificate holder?!!

Ahhhaahha ha! I think not!

My precious!

gollum_rotk_3.jpg

Edited by whiterussian

The trouble is that almost nobody ever takes two different TEFL courses. I met two who had taken their course and gotten a lot out of it. Our Teaching forum sponsor, SEE TEFL, is highly recommended.

It's the only program in Thailand certified ISO 9001:2008 by Bureau Veritas. I've set in the course myself. Many graduates recommend it.

It's the only program in Thailand certified ISO 9001:2008 by Bureau Veritas. I've set in the course myself. Many graduates recommend it.

I wouldn't assume that having an ISO would in any way guarantee the quality of the course itself. From my experience in the manufacturing industry in the UK, the ISO had more to do with systems: things like workflow, product traceability, internal auditing, customer service procedures, accountability and paperwork management - in fact almost nothing to do with the end product. Asian outfits (especially the Chinese) love to have these certificates, pretty much to show they're "real companies" and not working out of a garage.

I also had the misfortune to know someone who worked in the certification business. His main claim to fame was a couple of failed and conveniently forgotten about companies but he knew how to make impressive looking letterheads and brochures and got appallingly rich out of it.

Jealous, moi? :)

I'm continuously amused by CMU Language Center's various courses. It's pretty obvious to me that its run as a for profit business using CMU as a marketing tool. Every university in Thailand that can sets up these kinds of internation programs/de[artments etc. becasue that's how the Thai's get power and money and the Farang get a piece of the pie too.......

I also had the misfortune to know someone who worked in the certification business. His main claim to fame was a couple of failed and conveniently forgotten about companies but he knew how to make impressive looking letterheads and brochures and got appallingly rich out of it.

If that was his skill he would have gone into the 'branding' business surely?

I'm continuously amused by CMU Language Center's various courses. It's pretty obvious to me that its run as a for profit business using CMU as a marketing tool.

I would imagine so. But I would imagine they do have obvious assets. And being 'for profit' does do wonders for the business - like easing the cashflow and allowing you to invest back into the product.

^ that's pretty much it...

The other highly rated place "Text n Talk" was located in town... which is great for some, for me however, CMU was just perfect, plus you get to eat at the Uni canteens!

The course was not easy. Drove me nuts. I think they are all like that. One day I'm coding 1000's of lines of computer code and database queries, the next I am in a smart shirt and trousers, jumping around pretended to be a monkey or an elephant in front of a class of kids. It isn't the easiest of transitions!

What is the elephant doing?

Anyone know the answer?

Yes! It is EATING!

Well done, very good!

Pim!! Put away your mobile phone please. Nook! I dont want to see that knife in class! Jimbo!! Jimbo!! Do you know what the elephant is doing?

Edited by whiterussian

If that was his skill he would have gone into the 'branding' business surely?

Yes, he did. That's exactly what the standards thing is about - thry're providing a trusted sign that people associate with a business. In this case it's pretty easy, you don't have to actually have a product - you just send your client the criteria and show up six months later with a checklist and a couple of admin "experts" with sturdy clipboards and a tablet computer! It's probably not quite that simple but it's not that tough either.

Edited by Greenside

I'm continuously amused by CMU Language Center's various courses. It's pretty obvious to me that its run as a for profit business using CMU as a marketing tool.

I would imagine so. But I would imagine they do have obvious assets. And being 'for profit' does do wonders for the business - like easing the cashflow and allowing you to invest back into the product.

I'm so stupid! Of course the profits are being reinvested in the CMU Language Center. Thanks for pointing that out!

Edited by Danger

took the class in october. ok i guess they had major problems finding students for us. but they corrected the problem.

however they dont make much of an effort in finding you employment.

also watch out when practice teaching in my case and a few others they failed us without really observing.

example i had a 1 hour class the instructer came in after 50 minutes and then fail me for that class.

but they have a great rep so i have been told

I attended last October. Honestly - the teaching was good, but so many logistics problems occurred that our teacher burst into tears on a couple of occasions. It was, I think, useful - but even now, attempting to go to one interview a day, I don't feel that it prepared me to really teach - i.e, control a classroom. And yes the materials were dried up pens and crayon stubs for creating flashcards. That said, Monika was a very reassuring teacher, and I can't discount the content of the course. I just feel like I'm still unprepared to lead a class of "40 children, and all of them are naughty" - a direct quote from one of my interviews...

I attended last October. Honestly - the teaching was good, but so many logistics problems occurred that our teacher burst into tears on a couple of occasions. It was, I think, useful - but even now, attempting to go to one interview a day, I don't feel that it prepared me to really teach - i.e, control a classroom. And yes the materials were dried up pens and crayon stubs for creating flashcards. That said, Monika was a very reassuring teacher, and I can't discount the content of the course. I just feel like I'm still unprepared to lead a class of "40 children, and all of them are naughty" - a direct quote from one of my interviews...

hi rose....jeff here right now useing my wifes account. and you are?

I miss most of my fellow classmates.

took the class in october. ok i guess they had major problems finding students for us. but they corrected the problem.

however they dont make much of an effort in finding you employment.

also watch out when practice teaching in my case and a few others they failed us without really observing.

example i had a 1 hour class the instructer came in after 50 minutes and then fail me for that class.

but they have a great rep so i have been told

sansai....i also took that course as did rose...maybe a reunion of some sort.....i was the fat guy lol

I completed the very first class about 5 years ago. I see they still play games with failing and grades. Was very expensive and I didn't learn much about teaching in the TEFL classes, only grammar and silly theory.

Discover later Thai schools could give a rat's behind about TEFL. They want evidence of a BA and a Native Speaker. That's all. If you haven't a BA, you're wasting your time with TEFL course. :)