Donations To Help 'the South'

simon43

I was awoken yesterday morning by several Thai men and women knocking at my house door and seeking donations to help soldiers and police who had been injured in 'The Deep South' They had several official-looking documents with them which seemed to confirm that they were legitimate.

I do not give solicited donations (it's hard enough nowadays to financially look after myself!). But I was interested to know how much money they were seeking from me.

5,000 baht was the reply.

What if I can only give 100 or 200 baht?

No, the minimum donation is at least 3,500 baht was their retort

Now, I'm not sure if these people were soliciting donations for a genuine cause, or if the money was going straight into their pockets. But it is not the first time that those seeking charity donations from me have indicated a 'minimum' amount.

What's your take on it? Scam or genuine solicitation? And have you been asked to make a donation to a genuine cause where a minimum amount of donation was stipulated?

Simon

When in tourist areas, like down south on the beach in samui or pangnang i've been approached by people with documents saying they are collecting for orfanages or sum such, they have suggested amounts showing what amount can buy what for the kids, like 1000 for a uniform or 200 for pen and paper.

I've often wondered whether its for real or a rues, but i normally give them a hundred or 2 and let it be that i'm give for the right reason and its on their karma if they steal it. I wouldn't hand over thousands though, much better if going to give that kind of money to make sure its going to get to those who need it. I'd think a genuine charity would accept whatever you offerred them, every little helps an all that, many 100bhts soon adds up. Sounds like they could of been out trying to hustle farrang or gullable rich people; especially i wouldn't expect a large group of people either, sounds like a gang. Maybe should allert police to check em out, i've seen things in thai news about gangs going door to door trying to sell crap over price or solicit money for charity or non existant clubs or services.

I guess the people on the beach get to keep a percent or get payed if they meet a quota or something like the street charity people signing people up to oxfam or whatever in uk

Edited by mccw

I am pretty certain its a scam, and cheeky b*stards, stating a minimum donation....

In a similar vein got stopped in BKK a few weeks ago by a "Save the Something" charity, it was a legitimate charity, based on the set up they had and was talking to the pretty young lady...... LOL....and she really worked hard, so decided I would make a donation...hand in the pocket and pulled out THB 300 in cash and offered it.....No sir...no cash...you have to make donation by credit card and she offered to fill the form in for me..!!!!

So one of two things 1. A scam for credit card details or 2. A scam by a legimate charity to sign up for a monthly donation debited against your credit card...

Result..."Save the Something" charity lost out on Soutpeels donation.....But I walked away thinking cheeky [email protected] for a voluntary donation, then dictating how you were going to make your donation....

they have here in phuket, and even have a magazine with a picture of themselves as some type of official. I was asking to buy a wheelchair or something. Luckily I hid my wallet before coming outside. Felt fishy to me.

Yep, that sounds like the one BillR. They showed pictures of wheelchairs and the cost for buying one. Said it was a police charity. So I asked to visit their office at the police station, but surprisingly (or not), they claimed to be located at a police station in a faraway province...

I think a good idea is to say that you are so impressed with their volunteer efforts, that you want to take a photo of them to show all your friends at the police station. See if they run or not!

Simon

When in tourist areas, like down south on the beach in samui or pangnang i've been approached by people with documents saying they are collecting for orfanages or sum such, they have suggested amounts showing what amount can buy what for the kids, like 1000 for a uniform or 200 for pen and paper.

I've often wondered whether its for real or a rues, but i normally give them a hundred or 2 and let it be that i'm give for the right reason and its on their karma if they steal it. I wouldn't hand over thousands though, much better if going to give that kind of money to make sure its going to get to those who need it. I'd think a genuine charity would accept whatever you offerred them, every little helps an all that, many 100bhts soon adds up. Sounds like they could of been out trying to hustle farrang or gullable rich people; especially i wouldn't expect a large group of people either, sounds like a gang. Maybe should allert police to check em out, i've seen things in thai news about gangs going door to door trying to sell crap over price or solicit money for charity or non existant clubs or services.

I guess the people on the beach get to keep a percent or get payed if they meet a quota or something like the street charity people signing people up to oxfam or whatever in uk

.....so if there are say 100 farang on the beach and half of them give "100 or 2" that's 5,000-10,000 baht for a stroll on the beach, assuming it's a scam. just pull out the trusty kodak to eliminate any doubt.

Have you seen them asking Thai's for donations?

Edited by JRinger

A, I'd tell them to <deleted> off for knocking on my door in the first place, and B, well they can swivel. If it's legit it makes it even more shocking, the cheeky so & sos. For future ref, tell scabs like this you regularly give to charities of your choosing and to please not bother me again. :)

Excuse me? 3,500 is outrageous !

At LAX, there are such con people, including matrons dressed as "nuns" to collect. and those showing torture photos and demand $ 50 or something.

Once, such a person heard me speak German and I ended up buying back about 1 kg of German coins. go figure - he was collecting for himself!

Gave 100B to the Rescue Guys who were out collecting during Songkran- he tried to get me to contribute at the higher 300B level, but I felt that was enough to cover me (got a receipt, too!). Ya just never know. So I have seen contribution levels in a less extreme way.