Un Irish Bar

ChiangMaiFun

I ask because I went there with my date the other day - and they were really, really unfriendly - well one particular member of staff was - one of the slightly older girls. I asked for a pint of Guinness and she pointed to a sign (Guinness is now not available) which was fine but she was so miserable and rude - I just walked out - was this a one-off or are they always like that?

If that upsets you in Thailand need i say more

more what? it doesn't upset me deeply I simply report what I think other people on here might find useful info - I normally get very good service in bars and pubs around CNX this was highly unusual and worth commenting on and finding out if others experienced the same.

thanks for your thoughful reply

No, you've obviously overstretched your mental capabilities with those ten carefully selected words, best you go lie down awhile.

To the OP, I don't know the bar but I have to say I'm not a great fan of these pseudo Irish establishments. People tend to think all you need for an Irish pub is a pot of green paint and a sign to Galway. What makes Irish bars is the craic and the smiling service, in fact that is what makes any bar but is all too often missing.

Suggest you do as I do in such instances, and in fact you did, and vote with your feet and wallet. It's not like it's the only bar in town.

No, you've obviously overstretched your mental capabilities with those ten carefully selected words, best you go lie down awhile.

To the OP, I don't know the bar but I have to say I'm not a great fan of these pseudo Irish establishments. People tend to think all you need for an Irish pub is a pot of green paint and a sign to Galway. What makes Irish bars is the craic and the smiling service, in fact that is what makes any bar but is all too often missing.

Suggest you do as I do in such instances, and in fact you did, and vote with your feet and wallet. It's not like it's the only bar in town.

Hellp Phil,you havent stalked me for at least a day now,have you been sleeping well

I did just that - I notice on the other older thread people were posting the same experience as me - I'm surprised they get any business

I did just that - I notice on the other older thread people were posting the same experience as me - I'm surprised they get any business

go to Tuskers, friendly there.

I havent been for a while as im not the pub type

imo they show most of the sports that expats like, and pride themselves on it, and they open early as well

also in a good location so do well from the tourists

edit, dont know what happens when supersports isnt available in 2 months, what will they show then? just Football i guess, and F1

Edited by Donnyboy

yes I go there sometimes - red lion too... I go to other bars but enjoy a 'quality' pint occasionally - expensive but makes a nicew change sometimes

I can't agree more. The weight of the closed wallet and the walking away is far more than just accepting then complaining about your own misery. I've been in Chiang Mai only 2-3 times, however I'm sure that yes, there are other options, and you can at least get a waitress being sorry for the inconveniences and suggest another option. Of course, there's the Human factor, maybe the waitress was having a bad day (it happens to all of us), however it's not an excuse when you work with people.

best and friendliest staff in chiang mai as far as i'm concerned.

It was only one member of staff - one of the 'older' girls in those uniforms - in fact one of the younger girls gave me a sympathetic 'look' so maybe it's just this one girl - maybe it's just pot luck who you ask - there does seem to be alot of people, though (according to the other thread) who have experienced the same as I just have.

I eat there once in a while and maybe have a beer. They are always friendly to me - and not any slower than most other such establishments in LOS. I have no complaints. :)

:D It is one of the few places I go out to, and I have always been treated well there.

It maybe there is a reverse correlation between overt friendliness and length of time in the service industry. :)

Probably especially true for any business in the backpacker area.

Having said that I went to UN Irish for breakfast a few weeks ago, only the second time in about 6-7 years. The reason I chose it was that the preceding time my friends had enjoyed it and the others also thought it was good too. Also they rescued the distressed kitten on the roof, so that gets my vote.

I can't see any reason to fault it. The service is comparable if not better to many other places around there.

You go there one time and one waitress points to a sign that explains why she can't serve Guinness and fails to give you a pretty smile, so you condemn the entire establishment. I like the UN Irish Pub and the people who work there, but you can go ahead and drink somewhere else; I don't think you'll be missed.

The UN Irish pub is NOT a pseudo Irish establishment. It is UN Irish and makes no claim to be Irish if you read the historical notes there. The major shareholder is an extremely friendly Oz and his staff have always been pleasant to me.