More Natural Daylight

Forkinhades

Hi peeps

I need to get more natural daylight into my kitchen. I only have one wall that has a window to the outside, and now the daylight is blocked by the neighbours extension.

I have a pitched roof above the kitchen, so I thought that I could install some type of clear roofing tiles, and then install a prismatic diffuser in the kitchen ceiling, but then I am worried about heating the roofing space, and thus making the kitchen hotter. So maybe I would have to insulate the loft space above the kitchen as well?

Could quite have well answered my question, but lets see...

I was about to start a thread on skylights / solar light tubes and if they are available in Thailand - other than Solatube from whom I have a quote (very expensive) so have decided to tack it onto your thread as it is basically the same question.

So, the question is - does anyone know of a Thai manufacturer of solar light tubes to fit into the roof and thru the roof space? any lead would be appreciated by both of us.

Edited by Artisi

• 3 weeks later...
So, the question is - does anyone know of a Thai manufacturer of solar light tubes to fit into the roof and thru the roof space? any lead would be appreciated by both of us.

Wintek has a booth at the Architects Show at Impact displaying their "Sun Tunnel Skylight". Didn't have a chance to ask about pricing, etc, but remembered there was a thread asking about these things. Show ends tonight I think and unfortunately there is nothing about the product on their website (Wintek.co.th). I can scan their meager brochure if you are at all interested.

Wintek has a booth at the Architects Show at Impact displaying their "Sun Tunnel Skylight". Didn't have a chance to ask about pricing, etc, but remembered there was a thread asking about these things. Show ends tonight I think and unfortunately there is nothing about the product on their website (Wintek.co.th). I can scan their meager brochure if you are at all interested.

I would certainly be interested and thanks for the lead.

The inexpensive way to go is to replace some roof bricks with transparent bricks/sheets.

Replace parts of the ceiling with clear or whitish polysheet. Insulate the rest of the ceiling.

Possibly increase ventilation of roof.

Couple of 36 watt long flouroscents over the ceiling polysheet, gives you skylight in the night too.

If your present ceiling does not have insulation presently, above solution will be cooler than existing solution.

I d say 5k baht

Here's a link to Solatube Thailand. I sent an email to the listed name and received a email in a day asking me for my number so the salesman could call me. I have not done so yet so no other info.

Solatube-Thailand

Excellent company to deal with and are really on the ball. Solatube is probably the best tube lighting product available but is very expensive.

These items are from the Australian manufacturer Velux - not sure if they are local manufcture or have been imported.

The sun tunnels retail in Aust. from memory around $400 depnding on size etc.

If you have any outside walls in your kitchen, you could consider replacing an area with glass blocks they are very effective. I installed a 7x5 block square over our bathtub ..in the bathroom obviously ....what difference!...cheap too...even one or two will make a tremendous improvement!

oops see you have window already...but could consider replacing the whole wall with blocks? Blocks tend to bring in more light than a window ..probably somthing to do with prismatics ?? Sort of like dead-lights ... good luck.

re skylights have installed them in bathrooms and kitchens in my houses in Canada in the past...very effective but drag in the heat and are subject to condensation...be good to use one that opens but they have tendency to leak...

Edited by David006