Thailand Holiday Road Carnage: 361 Killed

george

HOLIDAY ROAD CARNAGE: 306 KILLED

BANGKOK: -- After celebrating the Songkran New Year festival with families and friends upcountry last week, revellers yesterday were rushing back to the capital to start work today.

Official statistics showed that the road carnage nationwide soared to 306 killed and 3,502 injured in the first six of the holiday's "seven dangerous days".

Anucha Mokaves, director-general of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, said that during the six days to Saturday, fatalities were down by only 15 persons compared to the corresponding period of 2009.

The northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima recorded the most deaths at 18, followed by the central province of Saraburi with 15 and the northernmost province of Chiang Rai with 14.

This year injuries during the six-day period were 459 lower than last year.

Nearly 75 per cent of road accidents involved motorcycles, 16 per cent pickup trucks and nearly 4 per cent passenger cars.

Drunken driving was blamed for causing the most accidents, followed by speeding, he added.

Highway Police said Bangkok-bound traffic in the northeastern provinces of Nong Khai, bordering Laos, and Khon Kaen was heavy. Motorists were warned to drive carefully.

In Bangkok, roads around Mor Chit bus terminal were congested as state-run Transport Co projected over 200,000 passengers would head back from the North and Northeast yesterday to early today.

More than 6,000 buses have been laid on to meet the demand so no travellers are stranded in their hometown.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-19

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Lets see that an average of 51 per day. WHO reports an average of 35 per day normally die on the highways and they figure that the figures should be doubled, so we had an increase of 16 per day. I don't think so. :)

There are some good anomalies in the way these stats are collected.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you are only counted as a road fatality if you are dead in the car at the scene. If you die from complications at the hospital, that is not included.

just wondering the stats of death & injuries from 'drunk pedestrian carnage'? I've seen a ton of drunk revelers on foot going nuts on

the local highway-engaging in the water throwing, blushing powder, groping etc... appeared hazardous.

Only 306? Thats about a normal carnage figure, If the total of deaths at scene and in hospital is total its certain to be higher.I witnessed the aftermath of motorbike with what looked like 2 young males plough into a group by the roadside. Madness continues

75% motorbikes? 4% cars and 16% pick up trucks involved in accidents.

That is a lot of motorbike accidents compared to the rest. Yes, they are more vulnerable and often with as many passengers as a standard car. Maybe they ought to start a decent advertising campaign to show this to the people. Make them wear safety gear. Even elbow pads and knee pads? There has been a clampdown on helmets and I've seen many many tickets issued over that. But bare skin damages too easily with no protection.

A terrifying thought that so many accidents involved motorbikes.

The 4% for cars. Does that mean they are safer? (ABS, Airbags + ). Easier to drive? More careful drivers?

It is still a lot of deaths be they true figures or on the low side.

thought it would be higher, seems insane that kids are riding motorbikes around busy citys, with no protection whilst getting water thrown in their face. I even saw, or rather almost didnt see, two bikes riding fast and side by side with no helmet or lights on (at night)

thought it would be higher, seems insane that kids are riding motorbikes around busy citys, with no protection whilst getting water thrown in their face. I even saw, or rather almost didnt see, two bikes riding fast and side by side with no helmet or lights on (at night)

Or they put their helmet in the basket in front of the headlamp and they are foolish enough to think others can see the light now :)

Last Saturday I drive through Saphan buri, while raining very heavy...I see abroad 4 Pickups, 2 Trucks and 1 Bus. A few accidents, one with a scooter maybe happen in the last 30 Minutes.

Actualy I drive a big Bike, but I'am going to buy a car for more safety.

I think it would be more realistic to quote all traffic figures as a percentage. ie there was an increase of X% traffic on the roads, resulting in Y% accidents which represents A% increase of accidents over a normal period. Throwing these sort of figures around, which might look spectacular, means very little in reality. :)

I have been told in the past that the RTA deaths are only reported from govt. hospitals..... go figure.

Who is the govt. trying to kid, themselves?

The real number is probably near the 1,000 mark, but nobody wants to amit it.......

RIP.....

I have been told in the past that the RTA deaths are only reported from govt. hospitals..... go figure.

Who is the govt. trying to kid, themselves?

The real number is probably near the 1,000 mark, but nobody wants to amit it.......

RIP.....

Yup

Nobody wants to admit the problem

Nobody want to try fix the problem

The problem will continue

75% motorbikes? 4% cars and 16% pick up trucks involved in accidents.

That is a lot of motorbike accidents compared to the rest. Yes, they are more vulnerable and often with as many passengers as a standard car. Maybe they ought to start a decent advertising campaign to show this to the people. Make them wear safety gear. Even elbow pads and knee pads? There has been a clampdown on helmets and I've seen many many tickets issued over that. But bare skin damages too easily with no protection.

A terrifying thought that so many accidents involved motorbikes.

The 4% for cars. Does that mean they are safer? (ABS, Airbags + ). Easier to drive? More careful drivers?

It is still a lot of deaths be they true figures or on the low side.

Hmm, more careful drivers? Did you ever drive in Thailand? I think not, because if you did you would know that 'careful driving' does not exist in a Thai dictionairy. (Yeah, I know, there is no English at all in a Thai dic., but you get my point I think).

I think Thai motorcycle drivers are just as crazy as Thai car drivers, but cars do protect a little bit better during an accident.

About 99% of the Thai drivers (well, maybe I under-estimate this :) ) don't have a clue how to drive car!

Lets see that an average of 51 per day. WHO reports an average of 35 per day normally die on the highways and they figure that the figures should be doubled, so we had an increase of 16 per day. I don't think so. :)

There are some good anomalies in the way these stats are collected.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you are only counted as a road fatality if you are dead in the car at the scene. If you die from complications at the hospital, that is not included.

its the Same in the UK, If an idiot runs on the road and gets hit, is it classed as a road accident or an idiot walking across the road accident.

Saw a guy yesterday leaving Carrefour with a little boy (1 year old at most) wedged down by his feet zooming out onto the main road with no helmet for either of them. Sure the kid was safe though as dad was hanging onto him with one hand :) while he rode.

See it daily as I am sure everyone does but I cannot fathom how much guilt these people must feel as they are standing at the funeral of their young ones when it all goes wrong.

I know there are a lot of people in Thailand that are poor etc but surely a helmet for 200 baht is not that far out of reach to attempt to protect the lives of those you love. Surely with the figures that are spat out, everyone must know someone who has lost a family member etc. Would'nt it sink in....or at least make you think???

Does anyone have stats on what % these deaths represent compared to Thailand total population. I am sure the national road toll was only around 300 - 400 per year in Oz (may be wrong) and I think it would be interesting to know how it all relates population % wise.

Does anyone have stats on what % these deaths represent compared to Thailand total population. I am sure the national road toll was only around 300 - 400 per year in Oz (may be wrong) and I think it would be interesting to know how it all relates population % wise.

A country like France as a population almost identical as Thailand. Road safety there is in the European average.

Death toll was about 3,500 for last year. I think a fatality is added to the stats if it occurs within 30days after the crash. I heard Thai stats count only people dead on the spot. True or not, everyone agrees to say that the official stats are clearly underestimated.

In this editorial from the nation, the author suggests several solutions to the problem:

1. Limit speed at 100km/h during songkran

2. Subsidise air fare and train tickets during Songkran so people are not on the road

3. Force bus drivers to make more stops and have more rest

4. Encourage people not to drive all the way to the province by themselves (share the driving)

5. Offer incentive for people to stay in the cities for Songkran

6. Incentives to reduce group travel to the provinces by road

I think he's completely missing the point.

First because any new regulation on Thai roads will be difficult to really enforce (seriously, does the police seem to care about road safety?)

Then because those incentives will have little effect on the casualties: a very wide majority of deaths occur on motorcycles.

Since we can't really count on encouraging road safety through strong enforcement from the police, the best approach would be education.

Thailand reminds me of Europe 30 years ago. When people thought that wearing the safety belt or a helmet is useless, that you are safe if your car is big or if you are at the backseat. Nobody here realizes the risk they are taking... simply because nobody told them.

One very easy measure would be to have PSA during some of the many commercial breaks there are on TV (let's say, during the evening soaps).

Thai are good at making commercials, they are good at using TV for propa...huh... education. I'm sure they'd find a way to educate the people about drinking and driving, safety belts and helmets.

In the long term, i'm convinced it would save thousands of lives after a year or so.

Much more than the "alcohol sale restrictions" and other half-cooked policies.

What do you think?

Agree. I still remember seeing the advertising campaigns in Australia during the early 80's showing what happens to a watermelon (i.e. someones head!!!) when it hits a wall a xxxxx.

Also seeing things like a girl, scars all over her face as she struggles to her feet from a wheel chair all because she went through a windscreen in a car accident.

Makes an impresion.

Another one is school age training. May be too late for current generation of thai road users so maybe its an idea to start on the next?

You can refresh the web page on your computer, why not refresh your mind?

In other words, it will take a gargantuan attitude adjustment - for Thai drivers to come around to driving decently.

361 dead is 336 more than died from gunshots and grenades on April 10th melee in Bkk. Yet all the hand-wringing and finger pointing in the halls of power are about the 25 who died at the April 10th rally site.

Are the 361 other wasted Thai lives, who died on the streets, less horrible?

At least the 25 who died in the riots were there by choice, whereas the 361 who died on the streets were complete innocents, unless they were the ones driving while drunk who caused the accidents - in those cases, they deserved to die.

Edited by brahmburgers