Taking Orchids Home To The Us From Thailand

swifter

Hello! Can anyone provide any details regarding the process of taking orchids home from Thailand? Im flying into the US and Im wondering what the limits are, do I need to pay some sort of import/export tax, do I need receipts, so on...

Thanks!

You can't bring orchid plants into the USA. The only exception is seedlings that are still in a sealed agar jar and even they might get confiscated by ag inspectors if they don't trust the sterility of the jar. Enjoy the flowers while you are here, then give them to a friend when you leave.

You can't bring orchid plants into the USA. The only exception is seedlings that are still in a sealed agar jar and even they might get confiscated by ag inspectors if they don't trust the sterility of the jar. Enjoy the flowers while you are here, then give them to a friend when you leave.

so sad! my thanks for the info, regardless :)

What about the pre-packaged orchids that they sell in the duty free shops in Suvarnabhumi? Are those off-limits for taking back to the US also? I planned to bring some home eventually, but I forgot that it might not be allowed.

I used to buy a box at the airport every time I went home to the US. More expensive probably but they always passed the ag check at O'Hare -- no bugs or parasites, etc. But last time (Dec 2009) the girl at the shop wouldn't sell them to me because she said they wouldn't be allowed in the US. So things have apparently changed.

What about the pre-packaged orchids that they sell in the duty free shops in Suvarnabhumi? Are those off-limits for taking back to the US also? I planned to bring some home eventually, but I forgot that it might not be allowed.

They should have a CITES certificate , This certificate certifies that the orchids were grown in cultivation and not taken from the wild.

CITES is an international treaty drawn up in 1973 to protect wildlife against over-exploitation, and to prevent international trade from threatening species ...

I'm curious why you would want to import orchids to the U.S., when it's the state flower of Hawaii?

You can order them to be delivered to any part of the U.S.

the orchids i saw at chatuchak market were really lovely. 100 times out of 100 id rather select my plants first-hand, even if it costs a bit more. plus id rather support thai businesses where possible.

also, taking back an armful of orchids for my parents from thailand has a lot more sentimental power than ordering from the internet of course.

My cousin took some orchids back to California in Janurary.

They were in a flask (bottle) and we got them at Chatuchak.

No paper work or certificates of any kind.

She asked customs at the airport here and at LAX if they were ok....no problems.

But the "loose" bulbs were not allowed to make the trip so my girlfriend ended up with those.

The packaged flowers at the airport shops can be taken to the USA, it is live plants that are restricted.

Seedlings in a sealed flask are allowed, as it should be sterile inside, but as mentioned before it is still up to the AG inspector at customs (California AG inspectors are the pickiest).

Adult plants can be shipped by a wholesale grower if they have SITES certificates and AG clearance, but they are shipped bare rooted and still have to be cleared by AG inspectors upon arrival.

Individuals can not bring rooted plants into the USA (even with a SITES cert from the grower).

They should have a CITES certificate , This certificate certifies that the orchids were grown in cultivation and not taken from the wild.

CITES is an international treaty drawn up in 1973 to protect wildlife against over-exploitation, and to prevent international trade from threatening species ...

The ban has nothing to do about weather the flower, plant or any agriculture product is from the wild or not, the ban is for all agriculture products being brought into the USA by travelers. This is done to prevent any foreign bugs or diseases. You can ship agriculture products into the USA, but unable to bring them when you travel.

I wonder if it could depend on the State Laws too. California is very different than other states and actually have car check points when "driving" into California to check to make sure you are not bringing any fruit or other AG products that could have infestations.