Thai Debit Card

Bangkok Bank recalled my ATM card and issued me with a Debit card. I had to pay 300 baht

for this, although i had not asked for a new card i figured a Debit card is more useful than a sole ATM

card.

I have just tried to use it for the first time at True to pay my TV and internet bills but was told

"only Credit cards or cash"

I'm curious , is this going to be a regular occurrence or are Thai Debit cards generally accepted as a means of

payment ?

Why would True not accept a Debit card to pay a bill for which they already have all the customers

details, address, passport no. etc.? T.I.T.

Welcome to the wonderful world of plastic. ATM card, credit card, debit card, Visa Electron card - all different types of cards. If a merchant only takes credit cards, then a full credit card it must be. Some card terminals and merchants do not support debit cards because they cannot determine if there is enough money in the account at the time of transaction, which is what a debit card is all about.

Welcome to Thai Banking, There are some things you cannot use a debit card for, for example you can't pay for drinks with a debit card but if you have food and its put through as a meal then you can. Before I lived here I always stayed at the Sheraton (by the River) and I was speaking to one of their accountants one day and he mentioned how there are some things where its not legal to solely bill that item, for example services and club membership to their Starwood Privileged Scheme couldn't be paid for with a debit card but if I was a guest and tacked the charge on to my room bill then it could as the bill would go through as accommodation. I know its crazy, Welcome to Amazing Thailand!!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of plastic. ATM card, credit card, debit card, Visa Electron card - all different types of cards. If a merchant only takes credit cards, then a full credit card it must be. Some card terminals and merchants do not support debit cards because they cannot determine if there is enough money in the account at the time of transaction, which is what a debit card is all about.

Not correct for Thailand. Here there is what is known as a zero floor limit. All debit transactions are 100% authorised prior to processing the transaction so there is no case where the funds are not available. Some other counties have a floor limit - $50, $100 - up to the bank, and they just take the risk on funds being available, or not.

Debit cards are in general for the reason above "card present" transactions - the card must be there to conduct the transaction. This may be why some transactions such as accrued bills cannot be processed because the card is no longer present for the transaction. Compared to a credit card where the merchant may keep the card details and then process the transaction at a later date.

Generally in Thailand, debit cards are widely accepted and account for over 25% of the card sales volume here. There are a few stores (villa used to be one, not sure now) that won't accept debit cards - for no particular reason -there is no difference in risk or cost to a merchant compared to credit cards.

VISA's brand is premised on "accept all cards" and so they do not allow merchants to distinguished between debit/credit etc.

If I use my Pattaya Thai debit cards for an ATM withdrawal there is a small service charge.

Does the same hold true for debit card purchases? Don't want any nasty surprises.

what is a "Pattaya Thai" debit card? :)

Thailand may be different but in Australia an EFTPOS terminal will accept all cards, just swipe the card or insert in the card reader and select account CHQ, SAV or CC. Enter ones PIN when instructed to and the transaction commences and if sucessful the message "Transaction Approved" appears with the printout.

We are refering here to a standard ATM card which can be used in an ATM or used in a EFTPOS terminal.

The Debit Card operates exactly the same as the standard ATM card ( which is a debit card)

but also operates as a CC but debits directly from your CHQ or SAV account. If you use as a CC you have the protection of a CC. Use with a PIN or sign.

These cards are issued by Mastercard and Visa.

Debit cards can be used in CNP ( card not present) transactions.

Many people do not want or require a CC and this is why the DC was introduced.

If I use my Pattaya Thai debit cards for an ATM withdrawal there is a small service charge.

Does the same hold true for debit card purchases? Don't want any nasty surprises.

Meant to say:

If I use my Pattaya Thai debit cards for an ATM withdrawal in Samui there is a small service charge.

In other words if I'm out of region is there a service charge on debit card purchases?

Meant to say: If I use my Pattaya Thai debit cards for an ATM withdrawal in Samui there is a small service charge. Does the same hold true for debit card purchases? Don't want any nasty surprises. In other words if I'm out of region is there a service charge on debit card purchases?

there is no charge and i now get the picture what you mean by "Pattaya Thai" debit card.

Not correct for Thailand. Here there is what is known as a zero floor limit. All debit transactions are 100% authorised prior to processing the transaction so there is no case where the funds are not available. Some other counties have a floor limit - $50, $100 - up to the bank, and they just take the risk on funds being available, or not.

Interesting. So what happens when there are insufficient funds in the account to pay for the 100% preauthorized transactions.

watuisi

re .... Thai Debit Card, are they generally accepted

yes ... !

i have four debit cards from four different branches of the thai millitary bank in chiang mai and pattaya.

and ... one with a krung thai bank in chiang mai and ive never in 5 years been refused to buy anything with a thai debit card

hope that answers your question ... dave2

Are these Debit Cards processed by Mastercard and Visa? Or are they cards issued by the individual banks in Thailand and can only be used in Thailand?

The card should have the issuing bank logo and the Mastercard or Visa logo.

If a business has EFTPOS facilities all cards should be accepted, Standard ATM cards, the Debit Card (Mastercard or Visa) and all Credit cards (Mastercard, Visa etc.)

But then allowances must be made for Thailand.It is a financially backward country as far as electronic transfers point of sale are concerned.

Using EFTPOS a business can refund money back to your account.

Quick, easy and simple.