New Car Red License Plates

Anyone know the reason they give you red license plates for the first month you own a new car here ? Then you get white ones to replace them.

Is this for everyone or just farangs ?

Thanks

Because that is the way it is done - lets the rest of us know which cars are being driven by new drivers. :o

Actually that does seem to be the old reason as driving on red plates was limited to daylight hours as most new car owners had never driven before. Now it is just a paperwork delay for the registration process and plate issue to be completed. If only one month now that seem to be an improvement. It used to take longer and dealers never had enough red plates so would give you forged numbers that police would find and fine (dealer usually made up the fine to you but it was a pain).

So, short answer, no - it is not because you are a foreigner.

Actually that does seem to be the old reason as driving on red plates was limited to daylight hours as most new car owners had never driven before. 

Does that rule still apply on red plates today??

And how come there are so many vehicles without any plate at all allowed on road in this country??

Actually that does seem to be the old reason as driving on red plates was limited to daylight hours as most new car owners had never driven before. 

And how come there are so many vehicles without any plate at all allowed on road in this country??

When you buy the car, you're offered the option of red plate, or nothing. Some take nothing, but most take the red plate.. Unsure of the actual laws on this issue.

Daylight hours, and stay in the Jangwat, it seems. It also seems these laws are not generally enforced at this point in time. LOTS of laws here like that...

Have a couple of hundred baht on you, just in case :o

Edited by Ajarn

When you buy the car, you're offered the option of red plate, or nothing. Some take nothing, but most take the red plate.. Unsure of the actual laws on this issue.

Daylight hours, and stay in the Jangwat, it seems. It also seems these laws are not generally enforced at this point in time. LOTS of laws here like that...

Have a couple of hundred baht on you, just in case :o

Believe the operative words are 'selective enforcement'. :D

Have a couple of hundred baht on you, just in case  :D

But I've seen many cars that are definitely not new without any plates (mostly outside BKK).

Just don't get why anyone wants to drive a car without a license plate unless you want to look suspicious. :o

In other countries I lived, it's impossible to drive from one place to another without getting caught by police if you don't have a license plate on your car.

Have a couple of hundred baht on you, just in case  :D

But I've seen many cars that are definitely not new without any plates (mostly outside BKK).

Just don't get why anyone wants to drive a car without a license plate unless you want to look suspicious. :o

In other countries I lived, it's impossible to drive from one place to another without getting caught by police if you don't have a license plate on your car.

And so lies the answer to your question of why anyone wants to drive a car without a license plate...

Because they can. TiT :D

Anyone know the reason they give you red license plates for the first month you own a new car here ? Then you get white ones to replace them.

Is this for everyone or just farangs ?

Thanks

Hi Paul,

The red plate are issued to anyone (Thai or Farang) who buys a new car. These are garage plates and are replaced by white plates after the car has been registered on the Goverment & Police Computers. You might have seen some car driven around with no plates at all, this is because the new owners don't pay extra to have the red plates. I hope I have answered your question.

Tas.

The registration can take a month or two longer if you want a specific number...

Also, I don't think they'll ever get rid of the red plates, as it makes it obvious to people that the car is new (need I say the word "face").

I bought a new car in Feb and wasnt given the option of red plates or no plates. I just was given the car with no plates at all. I believe that you are not supposed to leave the province while not displaying plates but I travelled to several neighbouring provinces with no problems at all. Only once in the many police stops that I encountered was I asked, or should I say my wife was asked, why I had no plates. The matter was quickly resolved with no money changing hands.

It wasnt until early May that I was called into the dealership to receive my white plates and rego sticker.

Bought my car in Udon, the dealer only had 10 sets of red plates that were all out ---- I told em if they could not guarentee my registration plates in 2 weeks I was going the Toyota. They got em in time even offering me a choise in numbers!! :o

You don't pay extra for the red plates. You pay a deposit (was Bht 3,000) which is refunded in full once the car is registered.

I didn't pay a deposit for my red plates last year... :D

Actually, I've still got them somewhere.... :D

Anyone wanna buy a set? :o

Because that is the way it is done - lets the rest of us know which cars are being driven by new drivers. :o

Actually that does seem to be the old reason as driving on red plates was limited to daylight hours as most new car owners had never driven before.  Now it is just a paperwork delay for the registration process and plate issue to be completed.  If only one month now that seem to be an improvement.  It used to take longer and dealers never had enough red plates so would give you forged numbers that police would find and fine (dealer usually made up the fine to you but it was a pain).

So, short answer, no - it is not because you are a foreigner.

When I bought my car the dealer told me not to drive at night with red plates....I told him that it was a nuisance...a week later he gave me white plates.

BTW, the most ridiculous reason that I have heard for red plates and the banning of driving at night was "most cars that are stolen are new ones...and it is harder to steal a red plate car and get away with it at night."

On my way back home this evening, I spotted this truck with obviously homemade plates in front of me. Looked to be a simple sheet of aluminum and the numerals looked like pre-cut stick stick-on's

Only got off one grab shot before he turned off. I would think this would be an obvious cop-magnet, but maybe it's legal? Quite confusing...

fakeplate.jpg

Edited by Ajarn

Red plates are for cars registered as "for sale". That's why some dealers only have ten sets or so. They'll let you drive with their red plates until the sale and your ownership have been cleared and the car properly registered in your name.

There was a motion for abolishing red plates not so long ago but they just can't process all the paperwork and issue new plates on the spot so the red plates will stay.

Red plates are for cars registered as "for sale". That's why some dealers only have ten sets or so. They'll let you drive with their red plates until the sale and your ownership have been cleared and the car properly registered in your name.

There was a motion for abolishing red plates not so long ago but they just can't process all the paperwork and issue new plates on the spot so the red plates will stay.

In some states in America they were called 'dealer plates'...they didn't have a distinctive color but they were stamped "DEALER"...they were temporary until you got the real plates. Now they are pretty much history....as when you get a new car the dealer gets you real plates.

• 2 months later...

I got my car on the 12th without red plates.

every two days I am told "tomorrow' for the red plates.

No one seems to know what potential problems are for driving without plates.

I want to drive to Pukhet tomoErow......

I got my car on the 12th without red plates.

every two days I am told "tomorrow' for the red plates.

No one seems to know what potential problems are for driving without plates.

I want to drive to Pukhet tomoErow......

We've bought two new cars in the last few months, both delivered with red plates by different dealers. For the first, the regular plates took a little over two months to come. For the second, we're now at well over two months and still counting. So don't hold your breath.

same story here,

bought the car a month ago, never offered/discussed/told

anything about red plates.

when i enquired (last time yesterday, a month later) how is the plate story progressing,

they said ' dont worry, we'll call you when we have news'....

lets see how long for i'll be driving with no plates at all....

When I was loaned my 'red plates' I was also 'issued' with a log book in which I had to record any trips taken outside the province. TiT

I live in Bangkok but bought my car down south because I would cut a 6 month wait to two months. Just got my Toyota Fortuner 3.0 - with red plates but from down south. My friend who helped me with this gave me a log book and told me that every time I drive the car I would have to log the trip in the book - a real pain in the butt which i have not been doing. If I get stopped by the cops it might be a problem, though. Keeping my fingers' crossed.

:o

......and told me that every time I drive the car I would have to log the trip in the book - a real pain in the butt which i have not been doing. If I get stopped by the cops it might be a problem, though. Keeping my fingers' crossed.

:o

I have red plates right now. Got stopped by a cop for an illegal left turn coming out of Tesco. He wrote up the ticket, with plates recorded. Offered to let me go for 300THB. Never said a thing about the red plates or any log book.

Just another case of TIT.

Driving from Pattaya to Bangkok, a police officer pulled me up and fined me 200bht for having the red plates, i couldnt get a reason for the fine, I called my solicitor and she said just pay the police man.