Korean Newspaper Criticizes Thaksin

webfact

The South Korean diplomats are going to wish their government never opened their ignorant mouths after the next Thai election.

A real diplomatic blunder by the South Koreans.

:)

Glad you didn't make any comment - it would have been superfluous on such a posting. You could say his posting matches his avatar... :D

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How to reduce a complex political situation to an 'us versus them' simplistic scenario - and that from the famous BBC!!!

and the washington post, amnesty international, french dailies (hardly suprising there though) because facts are facts, the message is clear:

don't intervene with military coups.*

no one disputes Thaksin is not an angel, has blood on his hands, is a bit of a nutter, ok, IS a nutter... but then again, the same can be said for a lot of people in power right now. (abroad that is... phew)

*unless the yanks are backing it.

That was close!!!!! :)

the more recent BBC reports on the ongoing crisis seem more narrow-minded than ever.

Narrow minded in your opinion perhaps. Not everybody shares your opinion, and the bbc is internationally respected even though its articles sing from your propaganda hymn sheet. Your opinions,conversely, are not internationally acknowledged in the same way.

I wonder how it is that an verified quote from a Korean journal makes banner headlines in thaivisa while respectable outlets are not covered in a similar way.?

For instance?? :)

The South Korean diplomats are going to wish their government never opened their ignorant mouths after the next Thai election.

Careful Russ, your codpiece is showing! :D:)

Oh No

Thailand are going to send the Red shirts to protest in Korea

where can I donate my thousand baht

Does anybody have more details on the copper that launched the LM charge against Jonathan Head?

There's no doubt it hasn't worked in Thailand's favour (when do they ever?) - the more recent BBC reports on the ongoing crisis seem more narrow-minded than ever.

Whatever happened to Head. I know the BBC pulled him from Bangkok but where is he now? There were rumours he was going to be put into Turkey

For instance, the BBC, CNN, even al-Jazeera - large news organisations with huge international followings that we don't seem to get any representation. What a coincidence that many of them write in tones that are sometimes disbelieving of the Thai government's true intentions. All we do see is the Nation (groan), the odd quote from AFP, along with one unverified report from a Korean journal instantly making banner headlines on Thaivisa because it is critical of Thaksin.

"Thailand Propaganda Clippings" is a better name for this subforum. And like I said, reading the Nation, what else can we expect from "The Nation Thaivisa"? But please let's not pretend that what appears here is a general consensus and unbiased representation of world opinion or Thai opinion.

Does anybody have more details on the copper that launched the LM charge against Jonathan Head?

There's no doubt it hasn't worked in Thailand's favour (when do they ever?) - the more recent BBC reports on the ongoing crisis seem more narrow-minded than ever.

Whatever happened to Head. I know the BBC pulled him from Bangkok but where is he now? There were rumours he was going to be put into Turkey

With sage and onion?

the more recent BBC reports on the ongoing crisis seem more narrow-minded than ever.

Narrow minded in your opinion perhaps. Not everybody shares your opinion, and the bbc is internationally respected even though its articles sing from your propaganda hymn sheet. Your opinions,conversely, are not internationally acknowledged in the same way.

I wonder how it is that an verified quote from a Korean journal makes banner headlines in thaivisa while respectable outlets are not covered in a similar way.?

"your propaganda hymn sheet" :)

Give it a rest. All what you get from my on this forum is my opinion, but one which appears to be by no means unique.

Give it a rest. All what you get from my on this forum is my opinion, but one which appears to be by no means unique.

Ah, now we are getting somewhere at last. You agree that the opinions of the individual do count for something after all. You would therefore no doubt see, as an extension of your own argument, the justification for a democratic process. One where people choose their leaders and are allowed to voice their opinions that way.

Funny how you seem to have such a contradictory viewpoint. Your opinions are justified, the opinions of certain other people are justified, yet the opinion of the general public when it comes to democratically choosing their leader is somehow intolerable to you.

Edited by clockworkorange

Ah, now we are getting somewhere at last. You agree that the opinions of the individual do count for something after all. You would therefore no doubt see, as an extension of your own argument, the justification for a democratic process. One where people choose their leaders and are allowed to voice their opinions that way.

Funny how you seem to have such a contradictory viewpoint. Your opinions are justified, the opinions of certain other people are justified, yet the opinion of the general public when it comes to democratically choosing their leader is somehow intolerable to you.

Nothing "intolerable" about democracy as far as my opinion is concerned. My opinion extends further however that anyone with more than a few braincells to rub together will quickly realise that "democracy" is bit a thin veneer of the intention of the red shirts, hence the demand for immediate dissolution with no negotiations for compromise.

Wow excellent, they found an international publication that touts the Thai establishment's line!!! This in the face of article after article in all Western countries painting a much more balanced picture.

Good job. :)

And... I guess the same could be said of the News Clippings forum.. Hasn't exactly been overflowing with articles from the BBC, NY Times, ABC, etc, etc, etc. I wonder why.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Wow excellent, they found an international publication that touts the Thai establishment's line!!! This in the face of article after article in all Western countries painting a much more balanced picture.

Good job. :)

And... I guess the same could be said of the News Clippings forum.. Hasn't exactly been overflowing with articles from the BBC, NY Times, ABC, etc, etc, etc. I wonder why.

Can you post links to those, I seemed to have missed them. Thanx

Good job. :D

That's my point. As soon as this article cropped up, even when it was still hearsay and had not been verified, there it was on the red scrolling banner at the top of the forum.

Funny how no opposing viewpoints receive the same treatment, and don't even get any airtime here whatsoever :) . I wonder why that is?

Now what was I saying about renaming "Thailand New Clippings" to "Thailand Propaganda Clippings?"

That's my point. As soon as this article cropped up, even when it was still hearsay and had not been verified, there it was on the red scrolling banner at the top of the forum.

Funny how no opposing viewpoints receive the same treatment, and don't even get any airtime here whatsoever :) . I wonder why that is?

Now what was I saying about renaming "Thailand New Clippings" to "Thailand Propaganda Clippings?"

It is only rarely that an actual foreign person, much less a high ranking politician makes partisan comments for the record. More often than not what is written in the foreign press is an editorial with no byline in a paper that is part of a multinational conglomerate. Then there are the financial rags like The WSJ, The Fin, Time, The Economist and so on. Everything they write is through the lense of expansion of globalization. You may remember there are elements in Thailand (not Thaksin of course) that have been vocal in their opposition of such agendas. Also, in many reports from overseas, one is left wondering if the author even has a Thai stamp in their passport.

It is only rarely that an actual foreign person, much less a high ranking politician makes partisan comments for the record. More often than not what is written in the foreign press is an editorial with no byline in a paper that is part of a multinational conglomerate. Then there are the financial rags like The WSJ, The Fin, Time, The Economist and so on. Everything they write is through the lense of expansion of globalization. You may remember there are elements in Thailand (not Thaksin of course) that have been vocal in their opposition of such agendas. Also, in many reports from overseas, one is left wondering if the author even has a Thai stamp in their passport.

You have to be kidding on three counts:

1) World leaders and foreign persons make comments about Thailand all the time. Such as when the US State Department recently advised both sides to stop using violence and follow democratic process, i.e., hold an election

2) Large media outfits like CNN, the BBC, Al-Jazeera, and even news magazines like Time, the Economist, et al, maintain journalists in Thailand, many of whom are Thai nationals

3) The foreign press in general provides a reasonably factual representation of events, in that they describe what is happening. Many of them, such as the Economist that you use as an example of 'not a Thai stamp in the passport' are actually critical of both sides these days

The only reporting that we see in "Thailand Propaganda Clippings" is that which is critical of just one side, never both sides, never the other side. One wonders why ...

Edited by clockworkorange

Says you and your mate clockwork orange.

Still waiting for any response to the points made by the South Koreans.

We will wait for a long time.

From both of you.

The Thaksin advance guard.

1) World leaders and foreign persons make comments about Thailand all the time. Such as when the US State Department recently advised both sides to stop using violence and follow democratic process, i.e., hold an election

Yes, but they don't make comments that say anything, such as the example you just cited, and it usually comes from a "spokesman".

2) Large media outfits like CNN and the BBC, and even news magazines like Time, the Economist, et al, maintain journalists in Thailand, many of whom are Thai nationals

I think we were talking about the printed media. Obviously television media has a reporter. Some more capable than others.

3) The foreign press in general provides a reasonably factual representation of events, in that they describe what is happening. Many of them, such as the Economist that you use as an example of 'not a Thai stamp in the passport' are actually critical of both sides these days

See, the Economist is a good example of what I'm talking about. They've had the story wrong in Thailand for at least the 8 years I've been here. Only now are they starting to see what a mess Thaksin, their Golden Child has made of things.

The only reporting that we see in "Thailand Propaganda Clippings" is that which is critical of just one side, never both sides, never the other side. One wonders why ...

You can post whatever you want in here. If you do some may ask you top defend it however.

First, the BBC and CNN are widely available and are seldom quoted here simply because everyone has access to them. This is not true of the Korean media.

Secondly, because mainstream media seldom makes the effort to learn the details about events, takes up too much column space I suppose, so they opt from superficial, sound bite analysis.

Third and most relevant, is that mainstream western media, as most westerners, have great difficulty understanding what does happen in Thailand because of a complete lack of understanding of the Thai culture, which dominates every aspect of life including politics.

Any your reasoning is?????

Edited by rabo

2) Large media outfits like CNN, the BBC, Al-Jazeera, and even news magazines like Time, the Economist, et al, maintain journalists in Thailand, many of whom are Thai nationals

Few people in the world know or care about Thailand. The country is obscure and insignificant to billions of people so mass media print and broadcast haven't any space on their pages or time in their broadcasts to tend to the affairs of some disorganized and corrupt never was ancient kingdom. That's the fact and reality of it.

A mob in yellow seizes the international airport and Thailand goes on the media's agenda because global travellers are affected....tanks roll in a coup so Thailand is on the news because a coup is always news...people in red riot in Bangkok and the BBC/CNN put a 30-second spot on the news.

Travel agents know of the place as do governments, investment houses, similarly obscure academics, airlines, shipping agents etc etc but Thailand just isn't Russia or Israel now izzit. Luv Thailand and Thais themselves but I'm afraid it's true that we're the only ones, we falhang.

Edited by Publicus

You write "i.e., hold an election" which is a lie or a distortion of facts at best. Or perhaps your bias just adds extra words to their texts that somehow fit into your agenda?

Their 'advise' to both sides didn't tell the government to hold an election now, that would be a clear red bias.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-Run...se-t357883.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Anti-govt-Pr...ab-t357881.html

Lets see if either of those make it to the News Clipping Section and are emailed to all members or if they just end up closed/deleted.

:)

I advise you not to discuss moderation in public.

Further I'd like to clarify we have a temporary policy in General forum which you should read

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Temporary-Po...al-t355369.html

Admin

First, the BBC and CNN are widely available and are seldom quoted here simply because everyone has access to them. This is not true of the Korean media.

Secondly, because mainstream media seldom makes the effort to learn the details about events, takes up too much column space I suppose, so they opt from superficial, sound bite analysis.

Third and most relevant, is that mainstream western media, as most westerners, have great difficulty understanding what does happen in Thailand because of a complete lack of understanding of the Thai culture, which dominates every aspect of life including politics.

Any your reasoning is?????

His reasoning is as predictable as 'er clockwork.

Shoot the messenger if you can't shoot the message.

After all...

...he is a Droid.

Do you actually write your own material or do you have a pet monkey that does the keyboard work. Seriously, now your making me laugh. :)

Nobody seems to comment on the fact that Thaksin employs many public relations firms, especially in the US, to spread his lies and propaganda in the West. This is bound to have an effect and in fact DOES have an effect on the way the current Thai situation is viewed by Western media unfortunately. Much of the media is happy to be spoon fed by Thaksin lobbyists and the Thai government is lamentably bad at countering his lies.

Anyone with any intelligence and capable of logical thought who has lived here for any length of time, taking a look from inside Thailand in a balanced way at what has gone on here since the time Thaksin became more and more greedy, arrogant and dictatorial, must come to the conclusion that his conviction was well deserved, should be followed by more charges and that he should never again be allowed to exercise his evil - yes evil - control over Thailand.

For instance, the BBC, CNN, even al-Jazeera - large news organisations with huge international followings that we don't seem to get any representation. What a coincidence that many of them write in tones that are sometimes disbelieving of the Thai government's true intentions. All we do see is the Nation (groan), the odd quote from AFP, along with one unverified report from a Korean journal instantly making banner headlines on Thaivisa because it is critical of Thaksin.

"Thailand Propaganda Clippings" is a better name for this subforum. And like I said, reading the Nation, what else can we expect from "The Nation Thaivisa"? But please let's not pretend that what appears here is a general consensus and unbiased representation of world opinion or Thai opinion.

Maybe yes, maybe no. But it certainly appears to represent a majority of ThaiVisa members, judging from the pro- vs anti-Red posts, as well as the several polls taken by members, not by The Nation or the ThaiVisa mods.

Maybe you should find a forum more amenable to your views, something along the lines of the US Tea Party's forums. I see no evidence of moderators here deleting any of the minority Red-view posts, such as yours.

In the meantime the Reds themselves are not at all respectful of free speech. Journalists covering the rallies are now required to wear green armbands reading "Dissolve the National Assembly."

Do you actually write your own material or do you have a pet monkey that does the keyboard work. Seriously, now your making me laugh. :D

Stop stalking me neverdie or im going to have to quote that embarrassing "tender" post of yours and publicly humiliate you again :):D

Edited by RussellHantz