Party's Over As Troops Descend On Bangkok Red-Light District

webfact

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly off topic, but, whilst the Red Shirts have protested and shut down the business district and caused the deployment of the Army and Police, on mass, has anyone considered the cost, to the current Government, of "fighting this domestic battle?" The Red Shirts can live on a cup of boiled rice a day, and we all know Mr.T is "chipping in" a few baht for them, but, economically, it's possible, the Government will not be able to sustain the prolonged cost of Army, Police and emergency services deployment.

All of these personel have to be paid, fed, housed etc. The logistics for all of this is very costly to Thailand. To some degree, as far as the defence forces of Thailand are concerned, Thailand is at war. Wars cost a lot of money and they are in this one alone, not with any "richer" allied countries. Add to the cost of the defence force, the local Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulance involvement, all staff at 24/7, and this mounts up to a HUGE bill, for the Government. The day may come when they can't afford to pay their Army, Police and other emergency services, plus, all the support staff for them.

Further compounding this cost is, which is on topic, the economic cost, in real terms, to the country. Not much money is "coming in." So, tourism, imports, exports etc etc are not generating their normal income. However, tourisms is the talk on TV and we know for a fact this is down.

The current Government must have a "cut off point" for funding all of this. After all, Thailand is not America, The UK or The EU.

I'm not sure The World Bank would be interested in loaning money to Thailand for this "project."

We all know the Red Shirts are "hitting" the Government, economically, but has anyone considered the economic cost of this "domestic war?" It's this cost that could bring down the Government, not the loss of tourism etc.

The Army, Police etc all have families and bills to pay. If you can't pay these people, there will have to be another coup.

You are so right. The govt. should realize how much of the taxpayer's money they are wasting and call off the military and police; send them home. We all know rule of law means nothing when serious money is at stake.

Jerome Allaim, a 34-year-old expatriate Frenchman, still reckons Patpong is "certainly the nicest place to find girls in Bangkok" even though troop deployment "doesn't impress".

:D:D Imagine putting your name to that call :D:D .

Seriously, it takes all types :)

most of the girls guys marry look like they worked patpong :D:D:D

except the ones that married hi so gals :cheesy::clap2: (nana and cowboy girls)!

So, you've described my wife, what does your wife look like?

This article will probably do more positive for Thailand tourism than any other campaign in the last 5 years. huMAN natURE !!

'nuff said right JayX4?

Now if we can just insert a Burma Shave ad.....and on an unrelated matter perhaps the army can address the night market stalls which are a fire hazard.

BUT I DON"T GIVE A HOOT!

Serously, Patpong is a dangerous place. A few months ago I went there, and a very very attractive young lady and her friend asked if they could get a ride with me to Onnut. We jumped in a cab, I paid the driver 200b as he asked, and then while driving there, one girl started molesting me in the cab, while the other undid my pantiloonies and started giving me 'attentions' right there in the cab!

Well, eventually we got to Onnut, and I discovered that I had been had! They had taken my wallet with about 500b in it!!!!

I then had the same thing occur to me another 2 times. There must be a gang there.

If someone can refer to me to a cheap place to buy wallets, I would be much obliged.

Ok ok, now back to the usual programming of 'all non red shirters are yellow shirts' 'all red shirts are paid thugs' 'all red shirts are pro democracy' 'all red shirts are Thaksin's henchmen' 'all army are tangmo' 'all tangmo is sillyclone' etc etc.

Seriously, any cheap wallets?

Tip o' the hat to Bernard Trink; whose column Nite Owl was the only reason I read that 'other' paper.

Slightly off topic, but, whilst the Red Shirts have protested and shut down the business district and caused the deployment of the Army and Police, on mass, has anyone considered the cost, to the current Government, of "fighting this domestic battle?" The Red Shirts can live on a cup of boiled rice a day, and we all know Mr.T is "chipping in" a few baht for them, but, economically, it's possible, the Government will not be able to sustain the prolonged cost of Army, Police and emergency services deployment.

All of these personel have to be paid, fed, housed etc. The logistics for all of this is very costly to Thailand. To some degree, as far as the defence forces of Thailand are concerned, Thailand is at war. Wars cost a lot of money and they are in this one alone, not with any "richer" allied countries. Add to the cost of the defence force, the local Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulance involvement, all staff at 24/7, and this mounts up to a HUGE bill, for the Government. The day may come when they can't afford to pay their Army, Police and other emergency services, plus, all the support staff for them.

Further compounding this cost is, which is on topic, the economic cost, in real terms, to the country. Not much money is "coming in." So, tourism, imports, exports etc etc are not generating their normal income. However, tourisms is the talk on TV and we know for a fact this is down.

The current Government must have a "cut off point" for funding all of this. After all, Thailand is not America, The UK or The EU.

I'm not sure The World Bank would be interested in loaning money to Thailand for this "project."

We all know the Red Shirts are "hitting" the Government, economically, but has anyone considered the economic cost of this "domestic war?" It's this cost that could bring down the Government, not the loss of tourism etc.

The Army, Police etc all have families and bills to pay. If you can't pay these people, there will have to be another coup.

I believe that the troops are fed and housed regardless of what is happening, so it is just another day in that respect. :)

I agree. They are doing their job instead of sitting under a shade tree sleeping.

patpong is far away from prathunam, where the protesters are.

why soldiers have decided to park on this very street and close the night market is beyond me - there are many other roads and places where they can be positioned (if they really have to be on the streets and not in the barracks) without obstructing the public.

blaming the reds, instead of blaiming the army, is illogical

LOL......maybe this is impacting "londonthai" income................. :):D:D:D:D:D

Further compounding this cost is, which is on topic, the economic cost, in real terms, to the country. Not much money is "coming in." So, tourism, imports, exports etc etc are not generating their normal income. However,

tourisms is the talk on TV and we know for a fact this is down.

You are so right. The govt. should realize how much of the taxpayer's money they are wasting and call off the military and police; send them home. We all know rule of law means nothing when serious money is at stake.

Fully agree

Let the red shirts take over

Then there will not need to worry about money

there will be none

Was called the survival of the fittest when I last studied it

Money was not a worry

you just take whet you want

Hi friend what do you feel like to eat tonight

Not sure grab a sharpened bamboo stick and lets go fight some one

Further compounding this cost is, which is on topic, the economic cost, in real terms, to the country. Not much money is "coming in." So, tourism, imports, exports etc etc are not generating their normal income. However,

Fully agree

there will be none

Money was not a worry

Hi friend..... i feel like farang food,

lets block the door to the local shop till they give us what we want...

Reads like a carefully crafted fantasy of yours more like. Talking of sexual matters, I wonder why the red apologists have run away from expressing any opinion re Thaksin's bigoted attack on gays when he accused the PM of being guided by mentally disturbed homosexuals.One of the entry criteria for being a forum red cheerleader is support for their master in all matters.

So what about it chaps? Red attack on the gay areas in the pipeline tonight?

Actually, my statement was taken from an actual case, but no one is really interested in tales from the crypt.

It is admirable that you have taken gay rights to heart. However, I do not know why you persist in repeating an inaccurate statement taken from a poor translation. I have already reviewed what was said. Go and listen to the statements. Actions speak louder than words: Funding for gay health and social assistance programs was significantly increased under the Thaksin administration. It was the health ministry during the Thaksin era that launched the rural health and testing outreach projects. And what has become of those programs under the Abhisit administration? Why post a false statement in respect to a "bigoted attack" that never took place. Please tell me where the Thaksin administration ever targeted gays and lesbians? Do you derive some sort of pleasure in disrupting threads and posting misleading statements?

I don't know why you are now fixating on this isolated incident. Perhaps you are a homosexual and are afraid. Rest assured that Mr. Thaksin has not expressed any interest in targeting homosexuals, nor does his history as PM justify such a fear.

Jerome Allaim, a 34-year-old expatriate Frenchman, still reckons Patpong is "certainly the nicest place to find girls in Bangkok" even though troop deployment "doesn't impress".

most of the girls guys marry look like they worked patpong :D:D:D

except the ones that married hi so gals :cheesy::clap2: (nana and cowboy girls)!

So, you've described my wife, what does your wife look like?

Surely you know that all Bangkok Expats married white skinned, rich, ex models, who own shops, have their own money and whose family are top army generals and police. These working ladies support their puny falang husbands, who are scared of darker skinned (and most other) women and are scared to move away from Sukhumvit.

Thats why all these kept falangs work as TEFL teachers for 30k a month and pay 15 - 20k a month for the most rancid little apartments.

Gingging. Stick with what you know and leave the news posts to those that have seen Thailand.

(((Surely you know that all Bangkok Expats married white skinned, rich, ex models, who own shops, have their own money and whose family are top army generals and police. These working ladies support their puny falang husbands, who are scared of darker skinned (and most other) women and are scared to move away from Sukhumvit.)))

Oh so we have met :D

Yu know all about me :)

His family must be very proud. If only he provided us a photo surrounded by teen girls in school girl outfits. :D

No wonder <SNIP>

You might pick a better avatar and user name than a terrorist... Then again, reading your posting history, it's right up your alley to pick a whacko like Che. Keep up the great work. ..

Another 44 post thai political pundit is born . ..

Not to mention the insightful Profile

Inquiring minds might want to know; are you even anywhere near thailand now or just another armchair thai political pundit? :)

Never forget - One person's "terrorist" is another person's "freedom fighter."

If fireman fights fire, what does freedom-fighter fight?

A freedom fighter fights those who wish to take away the freedom and liberty of the people.

I have a number of friends (yes, FRIENDS) who are bar girls in Patpong. They don't gamble, don't use drugs - just work to support their families as best they can. Two have called in me in the past few days. They are desperate. They were told not to come back after Songkran. They don't know how they're going to pay their rent or send money home at the end of they month. One asked me if I could send her 500 baht to buy powdered milk for her children. I've been to her home in Kalasin; it's not a scam. Just to point out that this mess is truly hurting people in ways that most of us can't imagine.

This makes no sense. These girls make a lot more money than poor Thais and supposedly have worked there a while so they already earned a good bit, and they still have zero savings? Life in Thailand - particularly in poor areas where they are coming from and living in low-standard conditions - is very cheap. So where is all the money they make going? They just spend everything and more from every paycheck?

Yes, yes and yes.

Congradulations

You have just gone to the top of the class of Farang Idiots who have no idea about Thai culture

Thai culture has no idea about saving, this is a stupid idea thought up by Chinnese Thais

The majority of these girls live on few baht them selves

There culture raises them to believe they have only 1 purpose in life and that is to support their parents, so 90 - 95% of all the money they have goes back home 5 mins after they make it, or Mama will be on the phone telling her what a bad daughter she has.

Where the money goes, well that is a new thread in its self, but I do say to you if you have any interest in Thailand or bar girls start reading some of the many books written on this subject

and stop making posts that prove you have no understanding of the culture, and how it works

It's been 50 years since The Vietnam War. Approximately 5 generations of Issan women have traveled south to work in the sex trade since this war.

I have often asked myself the same question, where has the money gone???? Sure, they gamble, drink samsong and swing in a hamock all day, but the money "earned" from the sex trade, by successive generations, and the many that have had farang "sponsors" - where did it go?

Why does the next daughter born in the family have to go and work in a bar. You can't drink that much samsong and you can't lose at card ALL of the time.

Sex trade earnings and farang "donations" have been heading to Issan for 50 years. Surely some familys have increased their wealth to a point where the next generation doesn't have to work in the sex trade?

So, "Ozzieman05" - since you know all about Thailand, and what the women do with the money - how about you tell us.

Fully agree

there will be none

Money was not a worry

No, not let the Red Shirts take over, just have them equally represented in Government.

Thanks for your constructive input.

Fully agree

there will be none

Money was not a worry

Hi friend..... i feel like farang food,

lets block the door to the local shop till they give us what we want...

There would be no need for them to block the door, because under a Government that offers equal oppotunity to Issan people, they could afford to buy the farang food, like their fellow southern Thais.

Another constructive comment by Ozzie.

Help me out Guys I wasn't around on this site when a) the army took control in Sept 2006 and then realised they couldn't pull it off for too long because of regional and international pressure or :) when the yellows occupied the airport and really gave Thailand a good old kick in the crouch - what did all you say at the time? - I'd like to know if you were fair and balanced in your objection to stupidity or if you are all just retired red-necks and ultra-conservatives.

It's been 50 years since The Vietnam War. Approximately 5 generations of Issan women have traveled south to work in the sex trade since this war.

I have often asked myself the same question, where has the money gone???? Sure, they gamble, drink samsong and swing in a hamock all day, but the money "earned" from the sex trade, by successive generations, and the many that have had farang "sponsors" - where did it go?

Why does the next daughter born in the family have to go and work in a bar. You can't drink that much samsong and you can't lose at card ALL of the time.

Sex trade earnings and farang "donations" have been heading to Issan for 50 years. Surely some familys have increased their wealth to a point where the next generation doesn't have to work in the sex trade?

So, "Ozzieman05" - since you know all about Thailand, and what the women do with the money - how about you tell us.

Actually mate, ill have a go at that one..

To have a guess id say..

the latest 30,000 baht phone

10,000 baht handbags

cosmetics

expensive clothes

fur coat

shoes ect ect ect

Actually i could go on all night, suffice to say the list being luxury items which they cant afford, motivation being to gain "face" and look big in front of their friends.. :)

What Thai guys spend their money on is of course another story..They pay their mia nois 20k a month so they can buy all the above things :D

Reminds me of the old farang joke..

"Spent 50,000 baht in one week in BK, 90% of it went on beer and bargirls, the other 10% i just wasted"

Well some of the recent comments on hard working Isaan girls - many of whom work in establishments owned by leading lights in the Yellow movement (who else owns Bangkok) and do actually look after their poor parents and younger siblings have answered my earlier questions - some of you guys are just blatant racists. In a some Western countries where there is a degree of civility and respect for others your comments would get you a well deserved fine.

((("Ozzieman05" - since you know all about Thailand, and what the women do with the money - how about you tell us.))))

As I aid before this subject can take up another topics

But the above is given in great detail in many books and available on the Stickman Web site

Majority of Thais life is all about face

and the money send home is spent on stupid things only with 1 object to make the family look good in the eyes of other villages

This posting is about Red shirt problems in Bkk and not for me to give you a lesson on Thai culture, again there are many any books on this subject if your really interested

Do you know what a book shop is ????

No, not let the Red Shirts take over, just have them equally represented in Government.

Thanks for your constructive input.

They are represented in Government. That's what the PTP are there for. (OK, I know they are pretty useless, but the people voted for them anyway.)

The N/NE is 30-40% of the Thai population. Therefore they have 30-40% of the representation in government.

Absolute poppycock.

Do you think the soldiers clock on when they arrive on Silom and then clock off again after they leave? They're not paid by the hour, and they're not paid very much.

A freedom fighter fights those who wish to take away the freedom and liberty of the people.

In the 16 months that the Democrats have been in government, what freedoms and liberties have they taken away from the people?

How about the freedom to walk on the street without having your bag unlawfully searched by thugs, and being assaulted when you refuse? That one seems to have disappeared lately.

Well some of the recent comments on hard working Isaan girls - many of whom work in establishments owned by leading lights in the Yellow movement (who else owns Bangkok) and do actually look after their poor parents and younger siblings have answered my earlier questions - some of you guys are just blatant racists. In a some Western countries where there is a degree of civility and respect for others your comments would get you a well deserved fine.

So now we have it.

There are no reds running go-go bars, beer bars and massage places.

How do we know?

Kevin has checked them all out.

He should patent this white-washing of the reds.

No-one else has.

Go for it Kevin.

Help me out Guys I wasn't around on this site when a) the army took control in Sept 2006 and then realised they couldn't pull it off for too long because of regional and international pressure or :) when the yellows occupied the airport and really gave Thailand a good old kick in the crouch - what did all you say at the time? - I'd like to know if you were fair and balanced in your objection to stupidity or if you are all just retired red-necks and ultra-conservatives.

We would like to help you Kevin.

But you don't make it easy.

Trying a little disguised Thaksin apologetics.

Never mind.

Why not push the old red nonsense about Thaksin's forces being left-wing.

Just a little.

And then show us the economic demands of the reds.

You will look a long long time.

There aren't any.

Only in your head.

I think you guys should stop with the "stereotyping" about "white skinned" and "dark skinned" Thai women. There are both sorts on both sides. Plenty of "high so" prostitution places in Bangkok where you'll only see Thai women as white as porcelain. Most foreigners however will never see those places or aren't even aware that they exist. Likewise, most dark skinned women work at Nana, Patpong or Soi Cowboy.

There are also plenty of white and dark skinned women that don't work as prostitutes, so give up on the stereotyping, guys.

I know that there are forum rules about discussing bar girls, but there seems to be a lot of preconception and misunderstanding about how much they make and what they do with it.

Yes, there are "superstars" who can make 50-80K a month. I don't know any in this category, so I can't comment. Most of my BG friends work in establishments that pay them no salary whatsoever. They get 30% of the bar fee (about 250 baht) plus whatever the customer pays them. They get 2 days off per month. If they are late for work, they are fined 10 baht per minute. If they take an day off, they are fined 500 baht. Monthly income is 12-20K.

They need 2K per month for rent and utilities (shared room), 3K for food, 2K for transportation, and 2K for everything else - that's 9K. Cosmetics - Mistine is about as good as it gets. Clothing bought at locals markets, Big C or Lotus is upscale. Everything else gets sent home. Milk for the kids, toys, clothing and school expenses. Help with the payment on the motorcycle or pickup. An allowance for the parents.

Nothing to do with show, everything to do with survival.

I think you guys should stop with the "stereotyping" about "white skinned" and "dark skinned" Thai women. There are both sorts on both sides. Plenty of "high so" prostitution places in Bangkok where you'll only see Thai women as white as porcelain. Most foreigners however will never see those places or aren't even aware that they exist. Likewise, most dark skinned women work at Nana, Patpong or Soi Cowboy.

There are also plenty of white and dark skinned women that don't work as prostitutes, so give up on the stereotyping, guys.

Agreed