Embarressing - How To Say?

ayayay

I would like to know how to say these sentences in thai:

1. If you do like this, you will embarrass me and also embarrass yourself.

2. You can not take for granted that a person is lying all the time, unless you have strong reasonens to believe so.

Using "frengly.com" to translate - this is what I get:

1 ถ้าคุณทำเช่นนี้คุณจะอึดอัดใจฉันและอึดอัดใจตัวเอง .

2 คุณไม่สามารถโมเมว่าคนกำลังนอนอยู่ตลอดเวลาถ้าคุณมีเหตุผลที่ดีที่จะเชื่อดังนั้น

It would be interesting now for someone to correct this auto-translation - IF there is aproblem with it.

It would be interesting now for someone to correct this auto-translation - IF there is aproblem with it.

And if you cant read that:

1 tâa kun tam chên née kun jà èut àt jai chăn láe èut àt jai dtua ayng

2 kun mâi săa-mâat moh-may wâa kon gam-lang non yòo dtà-lòt way-laa tâa kun mee hàyt pŏn têe dee têe jà chêua dang nán

:)

The wrong lie, นอน means lying down.

I'm not that great at translating but i can tell from reading it that number 2 is talking about lying down rather than not telling the truth.

I suggest โกหก could replace กำลังนอน in number 2

I modified the original posters sentences and get a simpler translated version

1. If you do this, you will embarrass me and also embarrass yourself.

2. You can not assume a person is not telling the truth, unless you have good reason.

2 คุณไม่สามารถสันนิษฐานว่าคนจะไม่บอกความจริงนอกจากคุณมีเหตุผลที่ดี

This translation tool is convenient and also helps improve ones' Thai - assuming one can spot misinterpretations.

Edited by Parvis

There is no direct translation for 'embarrass' in Thai.

อึดอัดใจ means uncomfortable. For example, a sleezy guy hitting on a conservative girl would make her feel อึดอัดใจ.

Also, this phrase: คุณจะอึดอัดใจฉัน is not even grammatically correct. It should be คุณจะทำให้ฉันรู้สึกอึดอัดใจ

Even then, it doesn't get the point across. I think 'losing face' will be a more appropriate term for Thai culture. For example:

If you do like this, you will embarrass me and also embarrass yourself.

->

ถ้าทำอย่างนี้จะทำให้ผมเสียหน้า และจะทำให้คุณเสียหน้าด้วยนะ

As for this:

I recommend changing the end

คุณไม่สามารถสันนิษฐานว่าคนจะไม่บอกความจริงตลอดถ้าไม่มีเหตุผลดีๆ

If you were an educated native Thai speaker - I would rather believe your Thai usage than the automatic translation tools available on the Internet.

BUT - since you do not appear to be a native Thai speaker - I think it would be more reasonable to trust those professional tools available on the Internet - fully realizing ofcourse that an automatic translation tool can give an incorrect translation because of "automatic interpretation of a sentence".

However - this does not apply to Thai/English dictionairies - which does not "interpret" but rather just "translate". According to this there are various direct translations of the word "embarrass".

Therefore - Farangnarak - like most of us Farangs (not all) continue your Thaistudies with humility.

If you were an educated native Thai speaker - I would rather believe your Thai usage than the automatic translation tools available on the Internet.

BUT - since you do not appear to be a native Thai speaker - I think it would be more reasonable to trust those professional tools available on the Internet

Therefore - Farangnarak - like most of us Farangs (not all) continue your Thaistudies with humility.

It wasn't a personal attack directed at you, I was simply correcting mistakes. My only other option would be to not correct a mistake, and let the error propagate.

No, I'm not a native Thai speaker, and to accuse my comments as worthless because I'm not is a bit silly. Anyway, the native Thai speakers I've asked confirmed to me that no Thai word directly translates.

As for the 'professional' tools, I believe it นอนอยู่'ed. :)

This translation tool is convenient and also helps improve ones' Thai - assuming one can spot misinterpretations.

I rest my case :D

(sorry, couldn't help it)

Try this one for minor embarassments ...

หน้าแตก nâa·dtàek =shattered face and means "red-faced"

But when "losing face" (more serious) try ...

รู้สึกเสียหน้า or just เสียหน้า sǐa·nâa

btw, the automatic transliteration tools are wrong almost (?) all of the time.

-NG

I modified the original posters sentences and get a simpler translated version

1. If you do this, you will embarrass me and also embarrass yourself.

2. You can not assume a person is not telling the truth, unless you have good reason.

For your information, I read these sentences to my friend who is a native Thai speaker but speaks fluent English with a Welsh accent, due to studying there. She said that although it is not a 100% accurate translation, she understood the point that was being made.

Edited by bhoydy

I rest my case also - I did not mean to attack you - farang nahrak - but I do question your "expertise". In particular your comment "there is no direct translation of embarrass in Thai" send me a "warning signal" that you don't appear to know what you are talking about. The "sentences" are a more complicated matter - which I certainly cannot evaluate.

Suggesting a native Thai speaker evaluated those 2 sentences is sort of like a little boy all upset threatening you "You know - my older brother knows someone who knows someone whose brother is a Karate expert and he will come to kick your a**"

But - I certainly did not feel "slighted" by your comments - nor - mean to "slight you". It is just an example that this forum has good information - but much of it one just has to take with "a grain of salt".

Edited by Parvis

Like FN, I would not use อึดอัดใจ for embarrass. เสียหน้า would be fine in a semi formal context and in a much less formal context I would use หน้าแตก.

For no. 2, I would say the repsonses provided so far are close, but no cigar.

I tried out the one Parvis referred to. Its probably the best I've seen for Thai so far, getting about 30% of the basic phrases I typed entirely correct. There were a few that weren't even remotely correct. Most were good enough to get the point across. These tools however do not understand context, and do not understand emotions, so they cannot as such translate correctly when either is involved. They work using statistical analysis - which only works with common phrases and fails for rare ones. Perhaps one day machines can have the attributes needed for good translation, but definitely not in the next decade or two . . .

For your information, I read these sentences to my friend who is a native Thai speaker but speaks fluent English with a Welsh accent, due to studying there. She said that although it is not a 100% accurate translation, she understood the point that was being made.

What does she recommend changed so that it reads correctly?

(I also understood the point that was being made, but I don't entirely trust my correction :) )

I tried out the one Parvis referred to. Its probably the best I've seen for Thai so far, getting about 30% of the basic phrases I typed entirely correct. There were a few that weren't even remotely correct. Most were good enough to get the point across. These tools however do not understand context, and do not understand emotions, so they cannot as such translate correctly when either is involved. They work using statistical analysis - which only works with common phrases and fails for rare ones. Perhaps one day machines can have the attributes needed for good translation, but definitely not in the next decade or two . . .

What does she recommend changed so that it reads correctly?

(I also understood the point that was being made, but I don't entirely trust my correction :) )

She ain't around and by the time she is i'll have long forgotten about this topic, unlike some people. :D

Well - I was not the original poster and in some respect I feel I hijacked his topic. My purpose was to see if sentences could be constructed such that the automatic translation tool can provide a "reasonable reply" which could be understood as a "reasonably correct communication".

Therefore despite the comment "the automatic transliteration tools are wrong almost all the time" - my conclusion is - yes they can be used - but you need to use them with caution and simple, short sentences.

Example using a translation tool

1 I need you

2 I need you so much that I can not live without you

1 ฉันต้องการคุณ

2 ฉันต้องการคุณมากที่ฉันขาดไม่ได้คุณ

Example 1 - may be "ok"

Example 2 - has problems

Edited by Parvis

I suspect the source of difficulty around the word 'embarrass' revolves around the fact that the correct Thai word will depend on what kind of embarrassment you have in mind; in other words, it needs context to be translated properly.

Apart from the suggestions already made, you might consider

จะทำให้เรารู้สึกอาย - will cause us shame, embarrassment

Edited by SoftWater

I suspect the source of difficulty around the word 'embarrass' revolves around the fact that the correct Thai word will depend on what kind of embarrassment you have in mind; in other words, it needs context to be translated properly.

Thanks for all the answers, and yes, that was actually what i would use too, it works when using อาย in a sentence describing me, "she will make me feel shy", but how should i use อาย, when referring to her, when i want to say that she is embarrassing herself too? (I can of course use the word เรา, and talk about us, but its not the same thing)

Thanks for all the answers, and yes, that was actually what i would use too, it works when using อาย in a sentence describing me, "she will make me feel shy", but how should i use อาย, when referring to her, when i want to say that she is embarrassing herself too? (I can of course use the word เรา, and talk about us, but its not the same thing)

Substitute เรา (us/we) for either คุณ or เธอ.

Will cause yourself embarrassment.

จะ ทำให้ คุณ รู้สึกอาย

Have tried to line up the Thai underneath the English, dont know how it will look after posting.

Substitute เรา (us/we) for either คุณ or เธอ.

Will cause yourself embarrassment.

จะ ทำให้ คุณ รู้สึกอาย

Have tried to line up the Thai underneath the English, dont know how it will look after posting.

Another way to say it would be,

จะทำให้ตัวเองรู้สึกอาย

I agree with Farangnarak. I am Thai with no western education and I don't do Karate so my comment might not be carrying too much weight. :)

We can try to combine อาย and ขายหน้า.

ทำอย่างนี้มันน่าขายหน้า แล้วผมก็อายเขาด้วย

I agree with Farangnarak. I am Thai with no western education and I don't do Karate so my comment might not be carrying too much weight. :D

About the expression ขายหน้า, I don't entirely understand it. Is it usually used for doing something that humiliates yourself for some particular gain? Not necessarily intentional, of course.

For example someone does something to impress someone else, but it wasn't well thought out and makes the person look foolish instead (hence embarrassed).

Something like that?

useless yet educational fact: My gf always says อายเขา whenever I suggest what she should wear when we go out :)

I agree with Farangnarak. I am Thai with no western education and I don't do Karate so my comment might not be carrying too much weight. :D

About the expression ขายหน้า, I don't entirely understand it. Is it usually used for doing something that humiliates yourself for some particular gain? Not necessarily intentional, of course.

For example someone does something to impress someone else, but it wasn't well thought out and makes the person look foolish instead (hence embarrassed).

Something like that?

useless yet educational fact: My gf always says อายเขา whenever I suggest what she should wear when we go out :)

Yes ขายหน้า can be apply in that situation. It can also be apply to shameful things you are doing in secret and people find out like having an affair.

ไปมีชู้กับเมียคนอื่นขายหน้าไปทั่วเลย or when you fail a standard or someone else expectation. เรียนหนังสือก็ไม่จบขายหน้าจริง ๆ

re: ขายหน้า thanks for this suggestion; I've never come across this word before.

I wonder if someone could disentangle the pronuoun references for me in Lexitron's sample sentence. I can't quite work out who is ashamed of who because of who in front of who...

หล่อนต้องขายหน้าเพื่อนเพราะเขามักจะแสดงกิริยาไม่เรียบร้อยต่อหน้าเพื่อนๆ

re: ขายหน้า thanks for this suggestion; I've never come across this word before.

I wonder if someone could disentangle the pronuoun references for me in Lexitron's sample sentence. I can't quite work out who is ashamed of who because of who in front of who...

ขายหน้าเพื่อน , her friends are ashamed of her because she is showing bad manners

in my oppinion

ขายหน้า : sell face (so embarrasing that if you can sell your face and swap for someone you would do because you don't want other people to know that you really done that)

this use quite a lot when something bad is done like an affair or get caught when trying to walk out un-paid of the resturant.

เสียหน้า litteraly "lose face" if you have a fame , being well-know , prestige . and you're expecting to do some things that you good at but this time things went wrong and result is not good and well like it always do then you เสียหน้า

situation : you're a very good at thai karaoke , always do , and your friends knows that.

so you lot go to karaoke. but from drinking too much last night your throat is dry and your good voice gone hoarse. so you sing like a duck this time. even your friend know or witness all along that your sing is so good . but still you เีสียหน้า because you cannot do what you always best at or be able to do it but less than it should be.

หน้าแตก you've done something you're not suppose to do but by slip of your tongue , with out conscious , or even reallise that you have done. but later someone tell you that you did it , or you might find out on your own.

this หน้าแตก is use when you done something shame in a very eyes of public

situation : you're go on speech for 500 men as senior / expert on your field , people applause , as you walk up the stage and then you just trip a stair and fell off the stage . that's หน้าแตก and in this kind of situation , ขายหน้า and เสียหน้า cannot convey a right meanning like หน้าแตก .

another example will be. Try to say "ระรอง ระยอง ยะลา" rahnong rah-yong yah-la fast. and if you're expect to say this with fast speed , accurate pronounce and in very thai accent but it is turn out your tougue get tied , if you do this is front of people ,and the word that come out is like mumbling . now you're หน้าแตก

can also use when

อึดอัดใจ : uncomfortable to do / make decision (but that thing is not done yet , you still can choose to do or not do it ,though เสียหน้า ขายหน้า หน้าแตก is talking about action that done or if you done , will embarrasses you)

1.ถ้าคุณทำอย่างนี้ ผมอายแทนคุณ แล้วคุณก็จะเสียหน้าด้วย this is polite but somehow look too formal or intention-made (mean If you do it you will lose your face and I'm gonna get that shame with you(I'm gonna lose my face too))

หากคุณทำอย่างนี้ ทั้งผม ทั้งคุณจะต้องเสียหน้า / พวกเราทั้งคู่ ต้องเสียหน้า as in thai , you judge by intention of a speaker to get a group of subject together , you want to say you're on the same side with him . concerning of him losing his face

then we use "we" or พวกเรา as you're by his side.

2.คุณบอกไม่ได้หรอก ว่าคนนั้นเขาโกหก ถ้าหากไม่มีหลักฐานที่แน่นหน้าพอ (you can't tell that person is lying or not since you have no good evidence)

คุณหาว่าเขาโกหกไม่ได้หรอก ถ้าหากคุณไม่มีหลักฐาน เหตุผล ที่ดีพอ (you can't just charge , blame , insult one if you have no prove) , หาว่า is from กล่าวหา ว่า (to allege,to charge,to blame)

ขายหน้าเพื่อน , her friends are ashamed of her because she is showing bad manners = embarrassed

ขายหน้า mean feeling uncomfortable or nervous and worrying about what people think of you.

ขายหน้าเพื่อน mean you are feeling uncomfortable or nervous and worrying about what "your friend" think of you.

หล่อนต้องขายหน้าเพื่อนเพราะเขามักจะแสดงกิริยาไม่เรียบร้อยต่อหน้าเพื่อนๆ = she feels embarrassed (toward her friends) because he (probably boyfriend) often shows bad manners in front of her friends.