Butter Is Better

gotlost

I think that they are equally mediocre, but, McDonald's is less expensive.

However, if you are looking for a home-made burger, Butter is Better has a really nice cheeseburger with Cuban bread and the burgers at the Duke's are a few steps up as well. :)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, if you are looking for a home-made burger, Butter is Better has a really nice cheeseburger with Cuban bread and the burgers at the Duke's are a few steps up as well. :)

Is the Cuban bread flown in from Havana? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I've never had Cuban bread except when (joyously) living in Cuba for three months many moons ago. I can't remember what's special about it - but certainly sounds like its worth giving it a try at BIB.

It won't make me start doing the conga, bolero, cha cha and salsa....will it?

Is French bread flown in from Paris?

I used to eat Cuban sandwiches in Miami when I lived there and as far as I can remember, this is pretty much the same thing. Actually, the bread is good, but a little different texture from a typical hamburger bun, so I was just pointing it out so anyone who wants to try it would understand why.

Edited by Ulysses G.

As luck would have it, the gas sytem feeding our baking ovens failed today. So only a trickle of baked goods are coming out of our one electric oven.. It's just the baked goods that are affected. Everything else is per usual

Where are you on Chang Klan Road. Is it the old Bake'n'Bite restaurant? Will try next week

As luck would have it, the gas sytem feeding our baking ovens failed today. So only a trickle of baked goods are coming out of our one electric oven.. It's just the baked goods that are affected. Everything else is per usual

Where are you on Chang Klan Road. Is it the old Bake'n'Bite restaurant? Will try next week

Yes the location of Butter is Better is the old Bake'n'Bite on Chang Klan Road. If you go to their banner at the top of the the Chiang Mai Forum page and click on it they have a map. IMHO you will not find a better bakery in Thailand.

Yes the location of Butter is Better is the old Bake'n'Bite on Chang Klan Road. If you go to their banner at the top of the the Chiang Mai Forum page and click on it they have a map. IMHO you will not find a better bakery in Thailand.

Have to agree there - the best by a long shot... and the coffee has improved somewhat. They use a 100% Arabica locally grown brand from a small producer (can't remember the name sorry) and it has excellent flavour and body.

Burger King and McDonald's the same you really owe your self a treat go to Burger King and try one of there burgers.

Well we got that out of the way. I was in there yesterday to show my Thai wife what they have. She is a huge fan of Coffee Cake. [thank God it is not catching] they did not have any but the girl behind the counter took over the interpretation and did a masterful job of it. I guess being Thai helped. At any rate The wife wound up with a cream cake chocolate covered affair. Needless to say we wound up taking one home and I have been hinted at that it would be OK to bring them home on a regular basis.

On the way out I noticed a burger being served it looked good and I made a mental note to try one when I was getting the wife a present.It will have to be really good to beat the Duke.

I used to eat Cuban sandwiches in Miami when I lived there and as far as I can remember, this is pretty much the same thing. Actually, the bread is good, but a little different texture from a typical hamburger bun, so I was just pointing it out so anyone who wants to try it would understand why.

Is the bread soft or is it the kind that crumbles when you bite into it or some where in between.

On a scale of 1 to 10 1 being soft where would you rate it.

egad I am asking someone who thinks BK and McD are on a par food wise. Yuk Ugh Yuk Ugh

They have a lot of different kinds of bread with different textures (100% whole wheat, rye, baguettes, etc.), but to be honest I have only had the Cuban bread once or twice - I only want a burger every now and then - so I can't really rate how soft it is. Maybe the boss will comment if he sees this. He is pretty honest about such things.

By the way, IMHO Burger King is superior to McDonald's in the U.S., but not much difference here.

Please Please Please get on meals on wheels delivery! :)

I'm hungry :D

Good news for you! We are scheduled to go on it when they do their next update. Below is a tentative list of what we will offer. Most of our baked goods are listed here with the exception of products that either can't survive the heat, or if they do, you might not survive eating them. In the latter case I'm referring to baked goods that contain custards which have egg in them. Most of our cakes with icing are in the former category.

If there's anything else you might like, let us know. We are considering shipping the blintzes frozen.

When I copied my excel table into thaivisa all the formatting got lost. The numbers are the prices in Baht.

BREADS

Bagel Plain 25 Genuine New York Style Bagel

Bagel with Sesame Seeds 25 Genuine New York Style Bagel

Bagel with Poppy Seeds 25 Genuine New York Style Bagel

Whole Wheat Bagel Plain 25 100% Whole Wheat No White Flour

100% Whole Wheat Bagel with Sesame Seeds 25 100% Whole Wheat No White Flour

100% Whole Wheat Bagel with Poppy Seeds 25 100% Whole Wheat No White Flour

English Muffins 25 Real Traditional English Muffins

Deli Rye Bread with Caraway Seeds 85 Authentic Deli Style Light Rye Bread

Italian Bread 35 Baguette Shaped Italian Style Loaf

Italian Bread with Sesame Seeds 40 Baguette Shaped Italian Style Loaf with Sesame Seeds

Seven Grain Bread 55 Multigrain Bread with a Touch of Honey

100% Whole Wheat Bread 55 Baguette Shaped Italian Style Loaf

Challah Bread 55 Traditional Bread Rich with Egg Yolk & Butter

PASTRIES, CAKES, MUFFINS, COOKIES

Butter Scones 30 Genuine Traditional Scones Made with Butter & Cream

100% Whole Wheat Scones 30 Same as above but made with 100% Whole Wheat

Butter Blueberry Scones 35 Genuine Traditional Scones Made with Butter & Cream & Blueberries

100% Whole Wheat Blueberry Scones 35 Same as above but made with 100% Whole Wheat

Brownies with Walnuts 40 Dark, Dense, and Fudgy

Chocolate Chip Cookies 25 Made with Dark Belgian Chocolate & Butter

Oatmeal Cookies 25 Made with Old Fashioned Rolled Oats, Raisins, & Butter

Apple Pie 285 With a Flaky Buttercrust and Granny Smith Apples

Blueberry Pies 285 With Wild Blueberries and a Flaky Buttercrust

Cinnamon Buns 35 Soft Buns rich with Butter & Egg Yolk and Lots of Cinnamon and Icing.

100% Whole Wheat Cinnamon Buns 40 Soft Buns rich with Butter & Egg Yolk and Lots of Cinnamon and Icing. NO WHITE FLOUR

Sticky Buns 35 Tender Buns rich with Egg Yolk and Butter. Lots of Caramel Syrup

Blueberry Muffins 30 Made with Buttermilk and Whole Wild Blueberries

Banana Walnut Muffins 30 Made with Buttermilk, Bananas, and Walnuts

Banana Bread 125 Also Known as Banana Cake. With Real Banana and Walnuts

Chocolate Torte 240 Very Dark Dense Chocolate Cake with Dark Chocolate Icing

Questions:

Are these the real mccoy genuine real genuine bagals like they make them in New York or in London or just plain rolls shaped like bagals?

For the real thing you can put me down for a couple of hundred, I love em and will store them in my freezer. I`m serious.

Good news for you! We are scheduled to go on it when they do their next update. Below is a tentative list of what we will offer. Most of our baked goods are listed here with the exception of products that either can't survive the heat, or if they do, you might not survive eating them. In the latter case I'm referring to baked goods that contain custards which have egg in them. Most of our cakes with icing are in the former category.

If there's anything else you might like, let us know. We are considering shipping the blintzes frozen.

When I copied my excel table into thaivisa all the formatting got lost. The numbers are the prices in Baht.

BREADS

Italian Bread with Sesame Seeds 40 Baguette Shaped Italian Style Loaf with Sesame Seeds

Butter Blueberry Scones 35 Genuine Traditional Scones Made with Butter & Cream & Blueberries

100% Whole Wheat Blueberry Scones 35 Same as above but made with 100% Whole Wheat

Cinnamon Buns 35 Soft Buns rich with Butter & Egg Yolk and Lots of Cinnamon and Icing.

100% Whole Wheat Cinnamon Buns 40 Soft Buns rich with Butter & Egg Yolk and Lots of Cinnamon and Icing. NO WHITE FLOUR

Do you make Crumpets ???????? Im sure the Brit crowd would be appreciative if you made them

Edited by FarangCravings

They have a lot of different kinds of bread with different textures (100% whole wheat, rye, baguettes, etc.), but to be honest I have only had the Cuban bread once or twice - I only want a burger every now and then - so I can't really rate how soft it is. Maybe the boss will comment if he sees this. He is pretty honest about such things.

By the way, IMHO Burger King is superior to McDonald's in the U.S., but not much difference here.

In Canada they have Poutine

W

Is the Cuban bread flown in from Havana? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I've never hI'mad Cuban bread except when (joyously) living in Cuba for three months many moons ago. I can't remember what's special about it - but certainly sounds like its worth giving it a try at BIB.

It won't make me start doing the conga, bolero, cha cha and salsa....will it?

We got our recipe from a couple of Cuban American guys. It tastes like the Cuban bread I had in Miami. But we do make it larger to accommodate the hamburgers. I don't know breaking out into a Conga, but I once had a seizure of St. Vitus dance after eating a bun. Or maybe I'm just looking through rose colored glasses at a bout of the DTs

As luck would have it, the gas sytem feeding our baAking ovens failed today. So only a trickle of baked goods are coming out of our one electric oven.. It's just the baked goods that are affected. Everything else is per usual

That's where we are. Almost opposite Giorgios's.

Is the bread soft or is it the kind that crumbles when you bite into it or some where in between.

On a scale of 1 to 10 1 being soft where would you rate it.

egad I am asking someone who thinks BK and McD are on a par food wise. Yuk Ugh Yuk Ugh

If you're asking about the Cuban bread, it is soft. Thanks to the lard.

BREADS

Questions:

Are these the real mccoy genuine real genuine bagals like they make them in New York or in London or just plain rolls shaped like bagals?

For the real thing you can put me down for a couple of hundred, I love em and will store them in my freezer. I`m serious.

These are genuine bagels. They are made with a dense dough and boiled before baking. That said, they are not quite the bagels of my early childhood. Back then, there was still a bagel maker's union and they had very strict standards about how to make a bagel. So you had to use 100% high gluten flour. Originally. I made them that way, but we were getting lots of complaints about them being too tough and chewy. So I lightened up the dough a bit. Not a lot, but still. At any rate, I would love to give the 100% high gluten flour bagels another go, if there was enough demand for it. Our whole wheat bagels are made with high gluten flour but because it's whole wheat, the gluten can't develop the way it does in white flour.

Since I did not get an answer I guess you don't make english Crumpets

chocolate_crumpets.jpg

Looks like a cow paddy to me. Delicious? :ermm:

toasted and dripping with real BUTTER they are fantastic and I would be good for a weekly supply

Crumpets worth waking up for.

156g all-purpose flour

2 tbsp powdered milk

1 tsp instant yeast

1/2 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

7 oz water, at room temperature (reserve 2 tbsp of this)

1/4 tsp baking soda

1 tsp butter (clarified, if you have it)

Combine the flour, dry mllk, yeast, sugar and salt. Add the water, less the 2 tablespoons, and beat first slowly, then at medium speed, until completely smooth. Let the batter sit, undisturbed and covered, until it doubles. About an hour should do the trick.

Mix the baking soda with the rest of the water, and stir into the batter. The batter will deflate, then double again. This should take half an hour. The batter will be filled with bubbles.

Butter the crumpet rings (RLB says tuna cans with the tops and bottoms cut off also work), then heat a cast iron pan, and lightly butter it. Set the rings in the pan, and fill the rings about two-thirds full with batter. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the crumpets have lost their shine. The bottoms should be nicely browned. Remove the rings, and flip.

Cool on a rack. Toast before serving.

Because these freeze well, I highly recommend doubling the recipe.

crumpet+2.jpg

Not my recipe and I cant cook so have to hope one day we get another sort of crumpet in Chiang Mai :D

Edited by FarangCravings

chocolate_crumpets.jpg

He told me this morning that he just got the right equipment for making them and will do so soon. I think that he just forgot to write an answer while answering all the other questions. :wai:

chocolate_crumpets.jpg

He told me this morning that he just got the right equipment for making them and will do so soon. I think that he just forgot to write an answer while answering all the other questions. :wai:

GREAT news

BREADS

Questions:

These are genuine bagels. They are made with a dense dough and boiled before baking. That said, they are not quite the bagels of my early childhood. Back then, there was still a bagel maker's union and they had very strict standards about how to make a bagel. So you had to use 100% high gluten flour. Originally. I made them that way, but we were getting lots of complaints about them being too tough and chewy. So I lightened up the dough a bit. Not a lot, but still. At any rate, I would love to give the 100% high gluten flour bagels another go, if there was enough demand for it. Our whole wheat bagels are made with high gluten flour but because it's whole wheat, the gluten can't develop the way it does in white flour.

I have been searching high and low for real bagals in Thailand with no luck.

I am going to come down and try yours out. I am not the fussy type and not expecting them to be anywhere near the same as they used to be in the kosher shops of my younger days in New York and the east end of London, but if they are reasonable, I will be your no 1 customer and fan and so will several of my bagal loving friends.

Edited by Beetlejuice