Thai Kids In The Uk

daleyboy

The wife and i are talking about bringing my 11 year old step daughter to the uk to live with us. She is currently living with her grandparents in a little village up by Sa kaeo she speaks very little English. My wife is worried that she wouldnt "fit" in here in the U.K, but i think she would adapt very well. Does anyone have any similar experiences with this? any advice would be appreciated. I would also like to know if anyone has had experience of visas etc regarding this matter, my wife has been in the U.K for three years if that makes any differnce

A friend of mine married a farang and moved with him to the UK (Kent commuter belt). She had two kids from an earlier marriage. At the time they were about 8 and 10 y/o, both girls.

She brought them both over after about a year (so 9 and 11 y/o). Neither could speak any English - they came from a small village in Sukothai. Both were sent to an ordinary primary (and then secondary comprehensive) school. Within a year both were speaking English pretty much fluently and were coping with their lessons. They did have to have some extra help from the school with regard to reading English etc, but they caught up no problem.

One did have a bit of an ordeal with one teacher - he made the youngest girl, at ther primary school, when she had been in the UK for about a year, stand at the front of the class and read from a book. She was very embarrassed as she was stuill painfully slow at reading English at the time. I suggested she take a Thai book in and ask him to read it to the class!

They have been in the UK several years now - the eldest is 15 now I think. Both have many friends, are popular, doing OK with their studies (the elder girl is more studious than the younger, but less popular for it I think). Neither would go back home for more than a holiday if you were to give them the option.

Oh, one more point. If you do go for it, bare with it for a year at least - the girl will feel out of sorts and lonely/confused at first. Things will get easier. My friend's kids at least had each other to ease the transition.

Thanks for that wolf these are my sentiments, i think she would fit in quite quickly and i think it will give her such a big advantage if she wants to go back to Thailand in the future as far as finding a job goes. I just wish i could convince my wife of this

Edited by daleyboy

Thanks for that wolf these are my sentiments, i think she would fit in quite quickly and i think it will give her such a big advantage if she wants to go back to Thailand in the future as far as finding a job goes. I just wish i could convince my wife of this

hi daleyboy

my wife and daughter in law landed last saturday.and like you i was concerned about how she would react, she is 8 and no english, after 3 days she says to her mother she loves england and wants to stay.[we will see]

but the test was to come, for the last 3 days my wife has had to work away at a show so the little one was left with yours truly.

With me not speaking any thai of any relevance, she has had to travel 4 hrs a day and spending the rest of the time in the office[in home]. she is still smilling and a joy to be with, i have learn't more thai in 3 days than ever before and she can now understand some english words. She smiles a lot when i cook :D and frowns a lot when eating it :o

i think i was worried for nothing as the thai people seem to be quick to adapt.

the reason for bringing opo to england is exactly as you, for later in life.

my concern for later is i hope she keeps her lovely smile and demeanor and does not become an arrogant teenager who thinks life owes them a living as we see all to much in this country.

if you want an update maybe after a month or so just post again

i hope this has been of some help to you. best of luck

Edited by opothai

hi daleyboy

my wife and daughter in law landed last saturday.and like you i was concerned about how she would react, she is 8 and no english, after 3 days she says to her mother she loves england and wants to stay.[we will see]

but the test was to come, for the last 3 days my wife has had to work away at a show so the little one was left with yours truly.

With me not speaking any thai of any relevance, she has had to travel 4 hrs a day and spending the rest of the time in the office[in home]. she is still smilling and a joy to be with, i have learn't more thai in 3 days than ever before and she can now understand some english words. She smiles a lot when i cook :D and frowns a lot when eating it :o

my concern for later is i hope she keeps her lovely smile and demeanor and does not become an arrogant teenager who thinks life owes them a living as we see all to much in this country.

Thanks for your message, we get on really well in Thailand she isnt shy or anything and she even calls me dad which is a crazy feeling especially if you havent had kids before like me. Your point about becoming arrogant is the one thing that does worry me as Thai children seem to have a lot more respect for their elders than the English do, but i think if we treat her the same as we do in Thailand and bring her up to show respect for others then i think it will be a really good mix for a productive adult. Little bit of Thai respect mixed with a little bit of western independance i think will be pretty cool

I would love to hear how you are getting on with your little one in a month or two. Have you had kids before or is this your first attempt at parenting? I have to admit i am pretty nervous about the whole parenting thing

Good luck

Dale :D

Edited by daleyboy

hi daleyboy

Thanks for your message, we get on really well in Thailand she isnt shy or anything and she even calls me dad which is a crazy feeling especially if you havent had kids before like me. Your point about becoming arrogant is the one thing that does worry me as Thai children seem to have a lot more respect for their elders than the English do, but i think if we treat her the same as we do in Thailand and bring her up to show respect for others then i think it will be a really good mix for a productive adult. Little bit of Thai respect mixed with a little bit of western independance i think will be pretty cool

I would love to hear how you are getting on with your little one in a month or two. Have you had kids before or is this your first attempt at parenting? I have to admit i am pretty nervous about the whole parenting thing

Good luck

we are thinking on the same lines as a mixture of the cultures will bring out the best of both.

i have twins from my previous marriage, at 15 they were arrogant to their mother but not to me maybe because they knew what would happen.

at 16 i became concerned for thier future as they had no idea of what they wanted and seemed to me to be a little on the lazy side.

at 17 i told my boy in no uncertain terms he would do his appretiship with the firm as he was wasting his time working cleaning glasses in a restuarant. any way i could not be a prouder dad he works hard does what he is told by me and others and his future looks good.

the girl, i have big problems with her attitude and constantly playing the ex off against me which is not good for the ex, i can only hope for better things for the future and she stays at college.

as for the parenting thing just be yourself, i am sure you will have no problems.

what part of bristol, when i first got married we lived in yate and the mrs worked for arc

hi daleyboy

Good luck

we are thinking on the same lines as a mixture of the cultures will bring out the best of both.

i have twins from my previous marriage, at 15 they were arrogant to their mother but not to me maybe because they knew what would happen.

at 16 i became concerned for thier future as they had no idea of what they wanted and seemed to me to be a little on the lazy side.

at 17 i told my boy in no uncertain terms he would do his appretiship with the firm as he was wasting his time working cleaning glasses in a restuarant. any way i could not be a prouder dad he works hard does what he is told by me and others and his future looks good.

the girl, i have big problems with her attitude and constantly playing the ex off against me which is not good for the ex, i can only hope for better things for the future and she stays at college.

as for the parenting thing just be yourself, i am sure you will have no problems.

what part of bristol, when i first got married we lived in yate and the mrs worked for arc

I live in Patchway so only about 8 miles away.

Well at least you have some experience of bringing up kids this will be all new to me

My farang/Thai friends took their 12 year-old daughter to a small city north of London. She didn't know a word of English and started school right away. She cried every night for six months. Sitting in class and trying to understand was a difficult experience.

I saw her 3 years later. Less shy... baggy pants... a perfect English... She doesn't like the cold weather but she really likes England and loves her independence. Unlike Bangkok, she doesn't need to ask her parents for a ride to visit her friends, she just walks in that small city... I asked her where she would like to live in the future... England comes first.