What's Better For A Young Family? Nai Harn & Rawai Or Kamala And Bang Tao?

Miriam123

What are the advantages or disadvantages of living in these two areas? How much amenities are there? Can you recommend a good English language private nursery school? Is there a different area we should be considering? We really want to be close to the beach and a good school. We would rather not be surrounded by tourists. We prefer like minded expats.

We own our own Internet based company so work is not an issue.

Any advice for a newbie?

You might want to check out the local woman's expat club, you will get a lot more response there. Google "chicky net phuket" and join their forum, it's free. My wife spends a lot of time on there and they are constantly helping new expats get acquainted. Hope this helps.

I live in Rawai and like it there.

School: check out ABC Nursery, my 2 kids are going there and I'm very happy with them.

Although I'm very much a 'North of Kamala' kind of guy, I would have to agree that for the availability of nurseries and schools and the kind of ex-pat interaction you seek, you may well be better suited to somewhere like Rawai, Nai Harn.

If it is at all possible. The advice I and others always give, is try not to commit to anywhere straight away and sample both for a while first, not always possible however.

Good luck.

I live in Rawai and like it there.

School: check out ABC Nursery, my 2 kids are going there and I'm very happy with them.

Although I'm very much a 'North of Kamala' kind of guy, I would have to agree that for the availability of nurseries and schools and the kind of ex-pat interaction you seek, you may well be better suited to somewhere like Rawai, Nai Harn.

If it is at all possible. The advice I and others always give, is try not to commit to anywhere straight away and sample both for a while first, not always possible however.

Good luck.

thanks both of you for your replies. I am dieing to know though what exactly is a north of kamala kind of guy?

I am dieing to know though what exactly is a north of kamala kind of guy?

Do you mean literally, or are you asking for my inner most thoughts as to what makes me tick :) I think it was probably the first one!

I simply meant I live, and prefer to spend most of my time in the northern half of the island. It doesn't matter where you live on Phuket, every where else is always going to be on your door step, but there's normally always somewhere that just feels right for you. Which is why I would say, try not to commit to anything sooner than you have to. I don't know how much you know of Phuket already, but the more you explore before you settle down the more chance you'll end up happy.

I am dieing to know though what exactly is a north of kamala kind of guy?

Do you mean literally, or are you asking for my inner most thoughts as to what makes me tick :) I think it was probably the first one!

I simply meant I live, and prefer to spend most of my time in the northern half of the island. It doesn't matter where you live on Phuket, every where else is always going to be on your door step, but there's normally always somewhere that just feels right for you. Which is why I would say, try not to commit to anything sooner than you have to. I don't know how much you know of Phuket already, but the more you explore before you settle down the more chance you'll end up happy.

I too am a northern guy but many of my friends with young children have settled mid island near to the britsh school and loch palm, your never too far from a beach and the facilities are very good. It will at the end of the day come down to budget lifestyle expectations etc. Are you going to buy or rent, I recommend renting first and explore.

help us to help you.

We will definitely start by renting and then who knows but we are far from ready to buy. Is there a particular community 'midisland' that we should be looking into?

I once read that the north is for people who have a life beyond Pad Thai? Is that what you mean when you say you are a northern guy?

Another idea for you might be to look at Land and House in Chalong. It's more of a western style community with a clubhouse, pool etc and is 10-15 minutes to shopping, beaches, town etc. A friend of mine that was looking for a house told me there's a number of houses for rent there.

Another idea for you might be to look at Land and House in Chalong. It's more of a western style community with a clubhouse, pool etc and is 10-15 minutes to shopping, beaches, town etc. A friend of mine that was looking for a house told me there's a number of houses for rent there.

and I believe an english language nursery was opened in L&H couple of years ago. there is also one a km away on Chao Fa east.

should be able to find at least 30 houses for rent in L&H from 15k to 80k a month.

I have lived in both areas and personally I'd go for the north. IMO better beaches, good golf courses, close to the airport and a decent school in the area now, though the south of the island does have a wider range of facilities.

I am having trouble finding schools in the area. Could you tell me the name of that school?

we live in the south, 2 young kids

both at ABC Nursery - extremely happy with how they are looked after and what they are taught

make sure that you inspect some of the schools / nursery when you do NOT have an appointment to do so, then yiu really see how they look after your kids!