Leaving Bkk On Thai Passport With Short Validity

We'll be arriving in Thailand next week for an unscheduled visit. The Wife's Thai Passport will expire in July & owing to the current situation in BKK, she'd rather not spend any time there whatsoever & wait to renew her passport back in London.I know she could do it in Korat, but again, due to the current situation - she'd rather not in case events take a turn for the worse.

Is she likely to encounter any problems at Thai immigration on departure given that it would only have about 7 weeks validity left on departure from BKK? (airline check in no problem as she'll be showing her British passport).

i took my son back to the Uk last August .He has dual citezenship.His passport(thai) had 5 months and 2 weeks left on it. spoke to the passport office and they said he must have at least 6 months or could not go.I thought this was <deleted> as he had 5 years on his British passport and I thought it only was of interest to the country you were going to but hey ho! So we had to go to Bangkok a week early and make a new passport. Crazy as we only went to the Uk for 3 months and as you say you show Brit. passport on arrival.TIT!!!

You could chance it but better to get the passport done.Don't waste the airline ticket.I understand your worries but if you are that worried why come back? Sorry that is a personal decision.Best of luck. Dave

By the way this is fact.My own experience not here say. To be sure do what I did, phone the Thai passport office in bangkok. I also spoke on the phone to Immergration in The airport by phone and they said the same. Be sure and phone them.

Edited by davidwright

You don't say how long you will be staying but, depending on that, why not just have her enter and leave Thailand on her British Passport? She does not even need a Visa if she has a return ticket.

Patrick

Good post! That would be fine! 30 days on arrival...Then renew her Thai passport back in the UK..problem solved.

She has to leave and re-enter Thailand on her Thai passport, since there is no record of her entering as a British citizen and if she re-enters as a British citizen she will need a visa for Thailand.

But she can travel on her british passport, and I understand that the ticket is bought on the British passport. For flying back to Thaland the validity of the passport is no problem, the rules alow her even to return to thailand on an expired Thai passport.

She has to leave and re-enter Thailand on her Thai passport, since there is no record of her entering as a British citizen and if she re-enters as a British citizen she will need a visa for Thailand.

But she can travel on her british passport, and I understand that the ticket is bought on the British passport. For flying back to Thaland the validity of the passport is no problem, the rules alow her even to return to thailand on an expired Thai passport.

mario she is coming from the Uk has a British passport so surely she can come in on that and get 30days?

mario she is coming from the Uk has a British passport so surely she can come in on that and get 30days?

Yes, I didn't had my coffee yet. Entering and leaving on the British passport will be no problem.

Yes, I didn't had my coffee yet. Entering and leaving on the British passport will be no problem.

Why oh why did you have to mention coffee? Now I will have to go to Big C and buy a nice fresh one! Trying to knock it on the head..............Still there is the eye candy!lol

Thanks for the replies.

I understand your worries but if you are that worried why come back?

Well as I said, this particular trip wasn't scheduled; we'd planned on taking a vacation elsewhere however, the father in laws already declining health as significantly worsened & it may be her last opportunity to see him.

You don't say how long you will be staying but, depending on that, why not just have her enter and leave Thailand on her British Passport? She does not even need a Visa if she has a return ticket.

Patrick

Good post! That would be fine! 30 days on arrival...Then renew her Thai passport back in the UK..problem solved.

Using her British passport does appear to be the best solution, however, she'd intended renewing her Thai driving license, which whilst her Thai passport wouldn't be required, would this cause an issue as she'll still be 'outside Thailand' according to Thai immigration records based on her last departure?

Thanks for the replies.
I understand your worries but if you are that worried why come back?

Well as I said, this particular trip wasn't scheduled; we'd planned on taking a vacation elsewhere however, the father in laws already declining health as significantly worsened & it may be her last opportunity to see him.

Patrick

Using her British passport does appear to be the best solution, however, she'd intended renewing her Thai driving license, which whilst her Thai passport wouldn't be required, would this cause an issue as she'll still be 'outside Thailand' according to Thai immigration records based on her last departure?

She will need her Thai ID-card and that is all that is necesarry. This has nothing to do with Thai immigration and although she enters on her british passport, she is still a Thai citizen. Only not for immigration purposes.