Bangkok On Edge After Deadly Grenade Blasts

webfact

Come on Abhisit, accept this great offer and lets have Democracy in Thailand once again.

You know it makes sense, accept this offer Abhisit.

Peace to all.

Go and check your head before posting because you have no idea what is going on right now, you don't know what makes sense and for the f. sake there is democracy already! What kind of democracy do you expect from the red shirts? Do you expect Thailand to be a republic??? Or Thailand being governed by totalitarian leaders, instead of making people equal reach they would make all people equal poor. Wake up dude, you are dreaming.

Methinks you're the one who is dreaming. 'Governed by totalitarian leaders'??? What do you think is the situation right now? Do you seriously think that Abhisit is truly the person in control? It's not without some irony that all of the stories of the UDD being funded by Thaksin seem to have disappeared. Nobody in full control of their senses would acknowledge that anymore. Ultimately there is a very large segment of the population (don't forget, PT still have more representatives in Parliament than the Democrats) whom are tired of their democratic rights being abused, and are equally tired of a very small minority of the Thai population using their influence to circumvent the democratic and judicial processes. Sure, there are extremists on both sides, but ultimately until the current Government attempted to use force, the UDD protest was (in relative terms) peaceful. Compare that to 2008 with the antics of the PAD. Did the Government at that time attempt to close down ASTV? No, they maintained the right of the media. What a contradiction with the current bunch of hypocrites.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got this (strange) feeling now. With the Army saying no force will be used to disperse, it took all the air out of the sails of fury. Now, the Reds say they will accept 30 days and want to negotiate tonight. A huge weight feels lifted.

I think it may all be over soon -- peacefully -- anybody else feel this way?

He also said something else, possibly more important.

Anupong: The Army will (ultimately) protect the Monarchy.

According to the Army assessment report, the predicament was instigated by concerted efforts designed to grab power and overthrow the monarchy

Edited by rabo

Come on Abhisit, accept this great offer and lets have Democracy in Thailand once again.

Peace to all.

Go and check your head before posting because you have no idea what is going on right now, you don't know what makes sense and for the f. sake there is democracy already! What kind of democracy do you expect from the red shirts? Do you expect Thailand to be a republic??? Or Thailand being governed by totalitarian leaders, instead of making people equal reach they would make all people equal poor. Wake up dude, you are dreaming.

Methinks you're the one who is dreaming. 'Governed by totalitarian leaders'??? What do you think is the situation right now? Do you seriously think that Abhisit is truly the person in control? It's not without some irony that all of the stories of the UDD being funded by Thaksin seem to have disappeared. Nobody in full control of their senses would acknowledge that anymore. Ultimately there is a very large segment of the population (don't forget, PT still have more representatives in Parliament than the Democrats) whom are tired of their democratic rights being abused, and are equally tired of a very small minority of the Thai population using their influence to circumvent the democratic and judicial processes. Sure, there are extremists on both sides, but ultimately until the current Government attempted to use force, the UDD protest was (in relative terms) peaceful. Compare that to 2008 with the antics of the PAD. Did the Government at that time attempt to close down ASTV? No, they maintained the right of the media. What a contradiction with the current bunch of hypocrites.

i'm sorry, i dislike lies.

1) you say, " It's not without some irony that all of the stories of the UDD being funded by Thaksin seem to have disappeared." - oh really? actually it starts to appear in intl media. do your own research.

-

2) you say, "Sure, there are extremists on both sides, but ultimately until the current Government attempted to use force, the UDD protest was (in relative terms) peaceful." - plain spin.

2a) btw, in case you never heard about it, gov all around the globe are entitled to use force. it's one of the categories that characterizes "government" - sovereignity to use force. never heard of that before, right?

2b) your narrative is _false_, in terms it does not match unfolding of events _prior_ to apr10th and _not_ to events unfolding day of apr10th.

Does anyone know what happened at that 'mass' demonstration planned earlier in the week for today by the PAD? We were reliably informed by their spokespeople that 100,000 would attend, and especially after last night you'd have thought they could drum up a bit of support.

Instead we get a couple of comments from the Nation's 'update' saying 'large numbers' of people were gathering in Royal Plaza. Not even a dedicated full story mocking the obvious inability of the PAD to draw anywhere near what they said they would, or a ridiculously skewed estimate of numbers. Such stories are only for red shirt protests.

The Nation's silence speaks volumes. Long may it continue.

According to the Army assessment report, the predicament was instigated by concerted efforts designed to grab power and overthrow the monarchy

That would, of course, put a cat amongst the pigeons

Does anyone know what happened at that 'mass' demonstration planned earlier in the week for today by the PAD? We were reliably informed by their spokespeople that 100,000 would attend, and especially after last night you'd have thought they could drum up a bit of support.

Instead we get a couple of comments from the Nation's 'update' saying 'large numbers' of people were gathering in Royal Plaza. Not even a dedicated full story mocking the obvious inability of the PAD to draw anywhere near what they said they would, or a ridiculously skewed estimate of numbers. Such stories are only for red shirt protests.

there had been tweets. let's not talk about what organizers claimed. reporters claimed it to be about 10,000. in any case, everyone agrees - it'll grow.

actually there's a lot of pics available.

Don't you think last night's events would cause most government supporters to stay at home. Who wants to be the victim of a grenade attack?

Peace to all.

1) you say, " It's not without some irony that all of the stories of the UDD being funded by Thaksin seem to have disappeared." - oh really? actually it starts to appear in intl media. do your own research.

-

2) you say, "Sure, there are extremists on both sides, but ultimately until the current Government attempted to use force, the UDD protest was (in relative terms) peaceful." - plain spin.

2a) btw, in case you never heard about it, gov all around the globe are entitled to use force. it's one of the categories that characterizes "government" - sovereignity to use force. never heard of that before, right?

2b) your narrative is _false_, in terms it does not match unfolding of events _prior_ to apr10th and _not_ to events unfolding day of apr10th.

The only ones who are pushing the 'Thaksin is not involved', 'Thaksin is not financing this campaign', 'this thing is bigger than Thaksin'

Are the Thaksin apologists.

Who have been told to do so.

No irony.

Just dissembling from the forum reds.

I've got this (strange) feeling now. With the Army saying no force will be used to disperse, it took all the air out of the sails of fury. Now, the Reds say they will accept 30 days and want to negotiate tonight. A huge weight feels lifted.

Probably the most telling words we have read since the start of all this.

Combined with a sudden urge to negotiate, I wonder if veera and co have been given an ultamatum / choice?

To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant.

Yes, it would be ignorant to believe everything that is written

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

is it allways handbags out and stilettos to the ready on this site... :)

Did the Government at that time attempt to close down ASTV? No, they maintained the right of the media.

Lauding Thaksin and his proxy parties for maintaining the rights of the media! Whatever will you tell us next?

Sorry, perhaps you misunderstood me. I referred to the Government during the PAD disturbances of 2008, of which (at least to my recollection) Thaksin was not a member. Most Thai's that I speak to have become more and more sceptical of the 'bogeyman' of Thaksin that is portrayed at every opportunity by those who seek power through anything other than democratic means. It's becoming a complete joke (witness the banners in BKK of a couple of days ago re Thaksin for President of the new Thai Republic, patently installed by PAD/the mysterious Third Hand!).

The disdain that the current 'elite' treat the (particularly rural) masses is being exposed. No longer are Thais completely accepting of the state media propaganda, as they can go to any street corner and find an internet cafe. Probably, more than any other group, the Military are aware of this (given that the majority of it's members come from similar backgrounds). I think that even Abhisit knows this, but he's being muzzled by his 'minders'. Given the events of what is now 2 weeks, and reconcile those events with the appearances/statements from the nation's Leader (sic), what other serious conclusion can be reached?

Don't you think last night's events would cause most government supporters to stay at home. Who wants to be the victim of a grenade attack?

In answer to your question, nobody wants to be the victim of a grenade attack.

Usually though, people are more motivated to join a demonstration if they are outraged by something - like high taxes, or grenades being launched in their city, or I dunno..... a sense of being cheated out of their rightful place in society? You see - loads of possible reasons.

Did the Government at that time attempt to close down ASTV? No, they maintained the right of the media.

Lauding Thaksin and his proxy parties for maintaining the rights of the media! Whatever will you tell us next?

Sorry, perhaps you misunderstood me. I referred to the Government during the PAD disturbances of 2008, of which (at least to my recollection) Thaksin was not a member. Most Thai's that I speak to have become more and more sceptical of the 'bogeyman' of Thaksin that is portrayed at every opportunity by those who seek power through anything other than democratic means. It's becoming a complete joke (witness the banners in BKK of a couple of days ago re Thaksin for President of the new Thai Republic, patently installed by PAD/the mysterious Third Hand!).

The disdain that the current 'elite' treat the (particularly rural) masses is being exposed. No longer are Thais completely accepting of the state media propaganda, as they can go to any street corner and find an internet cafe. Probably, more than any other group, the Military are aware of this (given that the majority of it's members come from similar backgrounds). I think that even Abhisit knows this, but he's being muzzled by his 'minders'. Given the events of what is now 2 weeks, and reconcile those events with the appearances/statements from the nation's Leader (sic), what other serious conclusion can be reached?

The serious conclusion to be reached is that you are a cast-iron Thaksin apologist regurgitating the same old nonsense.

ie that this is a class war with Thaksin in the role of Father Christmas.

The reds have not one economic demand as part of a programme.

Not one. So much for the masses.

Only the return of Thaksin is attached to the guns and petrol bombs.

And not very interesting 'I thinks' from you.

Edited by yoshiwara

With the Army saying no force will be used to disperse....., it took all the air out of the sails of fury. Now, the Reds say they will accept 30 days and want to negotiate tonight. A huge weight feels lifted. I think it may all be over soon -- peacefully -- anybody else feel this way?

You may be right about taking some of the edge out of the tension. However, from a strategic standpoint, I think it's highly irresponsible for top brass to rule anything out. This is a stand-off. There are military personnel and serious weaponry on both sides.

There's also a barricade which, if it has fuel mixed with tires (as some reports assert), is highly volatile - literally! Hundreds of burning truck tires in downtown Bkk could cause some serious damage - to property as well as to people and other animals. It's a similar scenario to suicide bombers who are ready and willing to blow up a bomb. In this case, the 'bomb' is a Km long tire fire - which would be very difficult to put out once ignited.

Army top brass asserting 'no force' is like a boxer saying before a big fight; 'ok, I won't punch you, but I'm still serious about prevailing.'

And what is the Army doing about the gross embarassment up in Kon Kaen, where its soldiers were disarmed and ordered around by a group of re clad punks? Military observers from overseas must be aghast at that - particularly if there's no harsh disciplinary repercussions from Thai top brass.

Sorry, perhaps you misunderstood me. I referred to the Government during the PAD disturbances of 2008, of which (at least to my recollection) Thaksin was not a member.

I didn't misunderstand. I said "Thaksin and his proxy parties".

Source please.

If true, a very interesting/worrying development. Of course, any type of extended civil protest in Thailand can be painted with this one and gives carte blanche for all sorts of behaviour.

If the gov't gives into the chaotic demands of this violent mob then this is just the beginning of what will be a civil war. In all the history of the world it is amazing that the Thai gov't has not learned you cannot give into demands of terrorists. Regardless if their cause is just or not, they need to lay down their arms, obey the law and work through lawful channels which DO exists in Thailand.

The previous PM allowed the Yellows to close airports and that set the stage for the reds to do what they have been doing. But clearly this is much worse from a violence perspective. In other words, you can expect the violence to become worse from the next mob if this one wins too. Abhisit went after Thaksin in court (legally) to show that corruption on this level will not be tolerated (changes) but his lack of stomach to disperse this mob is showing he is not fit to run this country. But he is the legal the PM and has the right to remain so until the scheduled elections. Even in democracies the leader is always not elected by the people as was the case of President Ford in the US or if you talk about majority neither was Bush in 2000. Bottom line they were both legal presidents. Until Thai's are held accountable for their actions and stop acting like violent thugs when they don't get their way ... nothing will ever change.

Edited by jcbangkok

Peace to all.

1) you say, " It's not without some irony that all of the stories of the UDD being funded by Thaksin seem to have disappeared." - oh really? actually it starts to appear in intl media. do your own research. Actually, I do. The UDD are usually referred to as supporter of Thaksin, not that he is funding them.

-

2) you say, "Sure, there are extremists on both sides, but ultimately until the current Government attempted to use force, the UDD protest was (in relative terms) peaceful." - plain spin. Really, please give me an example. You should have been a weaver/

2a) btw, in case you never heard about it, gov all around the globe are entitled to use force. it's one of the categories that characterizes "government" - sovereignity to use force. never heard of that before, right? Of course. You may wish to cast your mind back to the events of 10th April, and the initial confrontation at the satellite earth station. You remember that one? Where the Army abandoned it's arms (found to have contained live rounds, not blanks), and the subsequent admission by the military that the Army were indeed carrying live rounds rather than the rubber bullets/tear gas that they originally claimed? It took well publicised YouTube video to coerce that statement from the military. Anyway, who/why/when can be disputed. Oh, and I've been personally involved in civil disturbance control, and am aware of the norms of what is acceptable or not.

Sorry, you need to provide me with an example, and in perhaps better grammar than you are using.

Probably the most telling words we have read since the start of all this.

Combined with a sudden urge to negotiate, I wonder if veera and co have been given an ultamatum / choice?

Many things have have happened very recently

1) The terrorist grenade attack on innocent civilians at the Sala Daeng BTS station.

2) The declaration by the DSI that these attacks carry the death penalty.

3) The international attention that has arisen from the BTS attacks.

4) The capture and confession of a PTP MP/Red Soldier.

5) The meeting of the red shirt leaders with foreign diplomats.

6) The meeting of Anupong with the nation's top generals.

7) The interrogation of possible red shirt financial backers.

8) The PAD situation.

9) The hi-jacking of soldiers in KK.

There seems to be a confluence of events. Any one of these should give red leaders as well as the military and government leaders pause to consider.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Source please.

If true, a very interesting/worrying development. Of course, any type of extended civil protest in Thailand can be painted with this one and gives carte blanche for all sorts of behaviour.

Its on the news updates.

The timing of the statement is what strikes me / combined with the red offer to negotiate a bit later.

Video taken from the red shirt side that shows a projectile launched from red side aimed at skybridge/BTS.

No idea of M79 or just "fireworks".

EDIT: Added URL

quite a good vid. Seem to be the grenades

BS - that doesn't show anything at all.

watch the green laser point moving away from the target after the explosions. You can see it moving left to the building. Very clear pictures.

I must be blind. I've watched it umpteen times and I can't spot a green laser.

Sorry, perhaps you misunderstood me. I referred to the Government during the PAD disturbances of 2008, of which (at least to my recollection) Thaksin was not a member.

I didn't misunderstand. I said "Thaksin and his proxy parties".

I understood that, you've been watching too much ASTV. I'm actually quite impartial, and like to play 'Devil's Advocate'. Unfortunately, the more that I read and research, the more that I conclude that Thaksin represents a step change to the 'Establishment', and they use him in every context, whether it's warranted or not, as a symbol of evil. I think it inconceivable that were Thaksin to return to Thailand, that he would choose to enter politics again. That said, he did provide hope for a large proportion of the population, and did a substantial amount of good for the country (albeit in a heavy handed way).

Its on the news updates.

The timing of the statement is what strikes me / combined with the red offer to negotiate a bit later.

Well, if the army has a dossier (lets not forget the movie man has been giving a performance all day) that claims the reds were intending to overthrow the monarchy, there is a real chance that people could be charged with sedition.

It is one thing for us to say that they should be, it is another thing for someone to have a piece of paper with that as a stated aim. These leaders are ultimately cowards, so the threat of a bullet in the head from a firing squad for terrorist acts or sedition definitely doesn't appeal to them I sure.

Source please.

Its on the news updates.

The predicament is Thaksin's determined attempt to seize state power.

Not that he is making anything other than a complete mess of the attempt.

Chaos and mayhem are his only achievements so far.

What can the reds do next?

A few more escalations leading to deaths?

Ultimately a dead-end street.

Numbers shrinking and holed up in shopping centres?

Nowhere to go.

What really burns me up though is the response from the US who says their needs to be a peaceful solution from both sides. As if the US would ever tolerate this kind of thing in any city in the US or would ever elevate those committing crimes and violence against authority to have any voice that is listened to. Remember the US position on the 9-11 attacks ... they did it because they hated freedom. No mention of any honest to God and legit issues they had with the US. Why, because if people behave like rabid animals then they should be treated that way. Now, I am for governments negotiating with anyone who shows a willingness to negotiate even if their group has done bad things in the past.

So, if the Reds go home, their leaders turn themselves in then I am all for the gov't listening to them. But the fact remains the gov't did listen to them and made a HUGE compromise in going away from lawfully scheduled elections and having them a year early (just over 7-months from now) as they explained to the reds they are not the only group or political party in the country and everyone needs to be heard ... but the reds could care less what anybody else wants.

Pagallim, I think those video calls from Thaksin each night on the Red's big screen speaks volumes about Dr. Thaksin. And a certain sms he most likely sent during the talks. C'mon man.

If you PM me, I'll give you my mobile number and you can forward me the SMS. I'll repeat my previous comments, it's not Thaksin per se for the UDD, it's what he represents. He gave hope for a better future for millions of Thais, and unfortunately that void since he left hasn't been filled (apologies for an element of Root Cause Analysis there).

Pagallim, I think those video calls from Thaksin each night on the Red's big screen speaks volumes about Dr. Thaksin. And a certain sms he most likely sent during the talks. C'mon man.

If you PM me, I'll give you my mobile number and you can forward me the SMS. I'll repeat my previous comments, it's not Thaksin per se for the UDD, it's what he represents. He gave hope for a better future for millions of Thais, and unfortunately that void since he left hasn't been filled (apologies for an element of Root Cause Analysis there).

Cart before the horse.

What he represents is the paymaster.

Its his show.

He calls the tune.

And he calls the shots.