Compost Bin?

Hi, we have an average sized garden with a small patch of lawn but round the back of the house (tiled) we have a few 'flower bed' type things which are all full of fruit and veg etc, anyway the Mrs keeps putting all cuttings, veggie/fruit food waste, dead leaves etc in the 'flower bed' things and thus we have loads of things, possibly weeds, new plants and quite possibly new breeds of plants never before seen - ha ha, anyway, I would like to have some sort of compost heap but in a tub or a bin tucked away round the side of the house, is this possible, a good idea, can you buy them or will a large black bin do then all the food/organic waste etc can be out in one place and then used later on as fertilizer, if this all sounds nieve then I apoligise but the only experince I have with all of this before having this gaff was watching Ma in the back garden in the UK and even then it was from the patio with a cocktail - ha ha!!

Thanks

Bigjimmy

Jimmy,

Get a bunch of wooden tooth picks on the table and build up an open box by lying the tooth picks ontop of each other two at a time.

Now imagine instead of tooth picks you are using timber planks 100 x 50 x 1000mm laid on their edge.

Notch each plank at either end to house the plank below (except of course for the two bottom planks) to give the box stability.

Place your box in the garden somewhere on an area 1500 x 1500mm filled with 75mm of stone gravel or similar for drainage

Throw all your cut offs into this box. The open style will allow air to pass through.

Remember to spray the box with water every now and then and turn the compost.

Look out for snakes who may like to live in your box. :)

The box can be as big or small as you like.

Please post a pic of your compost box when you have finished.

Hope this helps.

Edited by malcolminthemiddle

I could not find any compost bins for sale in Pattaya. So I bought a normal rubbish bin, cut out the bottom and sat it on bare earth. Seems to work. Oh, I also had to punch some holes along the side of the bin (with a rather large nail) becasue apparently the holes will help to aerate the inside and help the composting process. It seems to work quite well for me. Good luck!