Your View On Social Justice ...

tgw

I was reading other threads where people spoke about wealth redistribution, social justice, etc.

The odd thing I noticed about the term "social justice" is that it is always used from the perspective of the poor.

Let's turn that around, and see it from the other side.

I would like to ask you, if someone who has been working hard and has been clever about building up his honest business is not entitled to:

1- earn 20 times the average wage, or even more depending how good his business is

2- be able to enjoy his revenue as he sees fit after paying a fair amount for taxes (i.e. not more than about 30%)

3- be able to use his wealth to look after the well-being of his offsprings in future

This can also be reflected on employees.

How much difference in net revenue between the higher middle class (this would for example be a doctor with own practice or an executive of a mid-sized company) and the lower working class (peasant, factory worker, service employee, taxi) is healthy for a society?

(I've got my own view on this, but I will keep it to myself for the moment)

Edited by tgw

Still waiting on serious replies.

The bible quote is quite a bit mysterious.

"Prisoners" is a group that comprises murders and child abusers.

To give back sight to the blind is something even Jesus didn't succeed in doing.

And about the oppression bit... well, there is no way for human society to function without some extent of oppression, and even this depends on how oppression is defined.

so I am not sure about what you wanted to tell with this quote, Peaceblondie

still waiting on useful comments, all political sides welcome.

Edited by tgw

It would appear that the op is referring to social justice in one breath and then throws what some would call economic justice, depending on where your position is economically, into the discussion.

Well, this topic is too deep for me.

ah.

let me rephrase a bit then:

What is your opinion on how big a gap in purchasing power between low class workers (unqualified workers earning minimum wage) and highly paid employees (i.e. higher middle class) is desirable for a society to function well?

Edited by tgw

ah.

let me rephrase a bit then:

What is your opinion on how big a gap in purchasing power between low class workers (unqualified workers earning minimum wage) and highly paid employees (i.e. higher middle class) is desirable for a society to function well?

The gap is massive, but no different from other "capitalist" countries, its always a case of the have's and have nots.

A complete capitalist system doesn't make a society function well, neither does a full socalist system, the trick is finding the balance.

The rich/poor divide in Thailand has absolutely nothing to do with what is currently going.....its all to do with one mans ego...thats all

When one person gets far more income than any other, it is usually at someone elses expense.

In the UK they set a minimum wage, in a society where there is social justice they should also set a maximum.

I have no idea what value each wage should be set at but I suspect the maximum should not be more than 10x the minimum.

I was under the impression that traditionally a capitalist makes a wage from the work of others (while producing no product himself)

This also has an impact on land ownership, how can anything be owned if it cannot be manufactured.

Hence the concept "all property ownership is theft" as land should inherently be shared equally among all people.

To own land at some time that ownership must have been gained by use of force and you cannot own something that has ever been stolen.

Maybe a fairer way would be to pay the same hourly wage for all employment, let those who want more, work longer hours!

Pay them the same hourly work while in education or training, so nobody can claim they spent more time in study in order to get a higher wage later.

Hold all land in public ownership by the country and assign on a 'need' basis.

Edited by sarahsbloke

very funny... I got several non-answers and one utopist post.

A complete capitalist system doesn't make a society function well, neither does a full socalist system, the trick is finding the balance.

Well, yes, I am asking you how such a balance looks like! How inequal SHOULD people be?

I labeled sarahsbloke's post utopist because such an organisation of society would have a hard time against human nature.

But it is nonetheless interesting and very close to communist theory.

I'll surprise you by saying that I think the idea of setting a maximum wage is not bad.

It would sure force more people to take risks by starting their own business - I see corporate top-executives as the first parasites in the western capitalist world.

10 times is a bit harsh as an upper limit, I wouldn't like the government or army/police to be run by people who couldn't make it as an entrepreneur...

So... let's continue to reflect.

Does a society need rich and poor people?

What standard of living should the poor have?

What standard of living should the middle class have? And the upper middle class?

Please include the human service industry in this reflection, i.e. who in society should have enough wealth or revenue to privately hire other people to work for them (i.e. doing household tasks, driving or cooking)?

What living standard should these employees obtain by working like that?

let your thoughts fly...

(again, I will respect all opinions)

Edited by tgw