Edge Wireless Usb Modem On A Mac

swifter

Hello!

I purchased a Kakudos U268 USB wireless modem and SIM card, and got the SIM activated at the shop. Im on a 15" Macbook Pro running 10.4.11.

I was told this was plug & play, eg pop it in and it will phone home and establish a Edge internet connection. Problem is, its not phoning home, and its not self-configuring anything in TCP land.... I plug it in, a little blue LED blinks once every 10 seconds or so, and thats it.

Under Internet Connect, I see a panel for Reference Design Dragonfly Plat (sic) with four fields:

Configuration:

Telephone Number:

Account name:

Password:

However nothing is filled out in any of these and the status is "idle".

No documentation was included with the card, sadly, not even in Thai, and the SIM card documentation dealt exclusively with how to renew my minutes on it.

Im wondering if this would have worked in 10.5.x a bit better (not an option for me)..

Can anyone provide any guidance here?

Try these settings:

Configuration: Default (if this isn't in the drop down menu you might need to create it)

Phone number: *99***1#

Account name / password: [leave blank]

You might also need to click on the Advanced button and enter an APN. On TrueMove and (I think) DTAC "internet" works.

On reflection those instructions are for 10.6.

Not sure about 10.4.11, but if you input the phone number and the APN you might be able to establish a connection (either click on "connect" in network preferences, or use the phone icon in the menu bar, which you might need to check a box in network preferences to enable).

Im starting to think that without an OS upgrade, this is a lost cause. The data you provided is absolutely top notch, and it *should* be enough to get me online, but at this point I dont think this laptop has any idea how to initiate a handshake with this device..

I think I'll head out tomorrow and pick up an installer, Ill post the results of course.

My sincere thanks for the info, of course.

Well it's recognized as a USB modem, so that's good.

For Nokia phones the number is *99#, I'd ask the store where you bought it what you are supposed to put in there. Or call the DTAC/AIS call center and ask them. What SIM card do you have?

Other than that, go to Network-Advanced in the USB modem settings and let us know what driver is selected. If it's Apple generic or generic then it may be that the OS simply doesn't have a driver for this card. You could experiment with other drivers, the same modem is often sold under many different names. I was able to get my old CCU-650 CDMA card to work using the "Sprint PCS Vision" driver.

I'd recommend an upgrade to 10.6, it's really a lot better. And it recognizes many more different kinds of USB modems. Safe way to do this is to first create a clone of your hard drive using Disk Untility->Restore from the internal HD to the external; then if something goes wrong, you can always get back to the old configuration (start from CD and clone it back). I'd skip 10.5 - while it was OK, it had many issues that were resolved in 10.6.

Hmm... a quick Google search reveals that this modem doesn't have any Mac drivers. Are you sure this is going to work on a Mac at all? I found only one page on Pantip, and it lists Windows operating systems as requirement... http://www.pramool.com/cgi-bin/dispitem.cgi?5925892

Edited by nikster