Wifi Question

pgrin

I have WIFI access in my apartment and it usually works well. Sometimes however I cannot access my home page. The icon on the task bar shows me connected as usual but I get the ?404 cannot access message. I am using Win XP home with a802.11 b/g wlan. I try repair funtion with no success. If I wait 1 hour/ 1 day it will work again. Any ideas?

Mine does something similar & I just have to reboot the Wireless AP. I'm a qualified network engineer and am familiar with the 802.11 b / g protocols, I've packet sniffed, analysed scratched my head and finally just reboot the thing. Works every time. Couldn't tell you why, can guess there's non-standard (ieee 802.11) components (chips) in the ap and these cause protocol conflicts that can only be resolved by reboot. Just a guess though!

Another cause can be inteference from other wireless APs in your vicinity.

Another is power saving sleep function used in the wireless protocol if you leave your pc on for a long time without using it.

I'm assuming you lose access to all internet, not just your home page.

Cheers,

Ace

I have WIFI access in my apartment and it usually works well. Sometimes however I cannot access my home page. The icon on the task bar shows me connected as usual but I get the ?404 cannot access message. I am using Win XP home with a802.11 b/g wlan. I try repair funtion with no success. If I wait 1 hour/ 1 day it will work again. Any ideas?

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be a bad location for the wireless adapter. If it were behind the monitor or other electrical device, I would get that "cannot access" message intemittently. Also, the adapter could be too far away or there may be too many barriers between the adapter and the router.

Mine does something similar & I just have to reboot the Wireless AP. I'm a qualified network engineer and am familiar with the 802.11 b / g protocols, I've packet sniffed, analysed scratched my head and finally just reboot the thing. Works every time. Couldn't tell you why, can guess there's non-standard (ieee 802.11) components (chips) in the ap and these cause protocol conflicts that can only be resolved by reboot. Just a guess though!

Another cause can be inteference from other wireless APs in your vicinity.

Another is power saving sleep function used in the wireless protocol if you leave your pc on for a long time without using it.

I'm assuming you lose access to all internet, not just your home page.

Cheers,

Ace

hi'

is it possible to deactivate the suspend mode(power saving) for a wifi card as it is possible to do it for any ethernet card?

or, restart the dhcp client and dns client services?

francois

is it possible to deactivate the suspend mode(power saving) for a wifi card as it is possible to do it for any ethernet card?

Yes, depends on the implementation though, you'll have to have a good look around on the s/ware that came with the card.

or, restart the dhcp client and dns client services?

Yes, reboot the AP! This will reset the DHCP IP received from the WAN modem / router. You can reset the PC dhcp assigned address using ipconfig /release & renew. Not usually much point though in this scenario.

Not quite sure what you mean by restarting dns services. You can clear caches on your browser.