Thai / Western Cultural And Other Differences

ThailandLovr

(If there is a thread somewhere which already goes into this subject in depth, please advise)

Often I am asked by my friends and family about the differences between living in Thailand versus back home (in my case the U.S.). As you know, there are so many ways Thai culture, habits, traditions, etc are different. I started a list. Maybe it would be of interest for future readers for us to list more here: (please no bashing)

Thais:

Hate confrontation

Rarely display anger publicly

Eat mostly using a large spoon, with a fork used mostly for guiding or separating (or perhaps chop sticks)

Often do not even own a plain table/dinner knife

Never blow their nose in public

Never use handkerchiefs

Surprisingly often pick their noses in the presence of others

Are for the most part usually very polite to others

Rarely have body odor (in my experience)

Often take 3-4 showers per day due to the heat

Women love the TV soaps

Salt and pepper shakers rarely seen here

Usually don't have a toaster

Like to go to the market to buy fresh food every day, sometimes every meal

Rarely store leftovers in the refrigerator - leave out covered with a dish and eaten the next day

Typically are lousy drivers using minimal safety prevention

Men LOVE their beer, often drinking every night with neighbors/friends

Sincerely believe in and fear ghosts

Please add your observations !

Edited by ThailandLovr

Some bizarre and durreal differences highlighted there !

Tell your friends its almost like living in a different country.

But I suppose, for most Americans, that's not very helpful. Tell them its wierder than Canada.

I went to USA once, and people asked what it was like: "Just like on television", I told them, but its maybe changed since I went.

SC

I never trust any product or services I buy, it could be inadequate or fake

Never expect to get refund after the money is paid to anyone or any place including major department stores

Edited by givenall

I never trust any product or services I buy, it could be inadequate or fake

You should have included a link

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/fakes-t354506.html

My recommendation is not to get your hopes up, and expect disappointment, although you may be pleasantly surprised

caveat emptor

SC

PS: I see a late edit in your post; you'd certainly likely struggle to get your money back...

I went to USA once, and people asked what it was like: "Just like on television", I told them, but its maybe changed since I went.

That's something I remarked.

Visitors to the US tend to be less "surprised" than when visiting any other foreign country. Very probably because most of us non-americans are still in contact with american culture on an almost daily basis thanks to movies, series, etc...

First time i went to L.A., it almost felt like I've been there before.

On another hand, many will assume that all western countries are similar to the US. There are many similarities, but there are also great differences.

Visitors to the US tend to be less "surprised" than when visiting any other foreign country. Very probably because most of us non-americans are still in contact with american culture on an almost daily basis thanks to movies, series, etc...

On another hand, many will assume that all western countries are similar to the US. There are many similarities, but there are also great differences.

I don't see much benefit in looking for differences; we rarely understand our own culture well enough to really describe the differences accurately. And really, some of the OP's differences...

I guess I must be half-thai, because I don't have a toaster, and I avoid confrontation, and I try to be polite. I don't have a salt and pepper shaker, and I prefer to use chopsticks to eat noodles. I love to store leftovers in my stomach.

Although I do have foul body odour, which, from other threads, I believe I pick up from hanging around gogo and beer bars, along with the balding head and the beer gut; although I've picked up worse in some of the bars.

SC

why don't you research the Western lowland tropical forests of Congo and compare that to the Vienna woods and let us know your conclusions.

Something so obvious to us who have been here awhile, but I've told women back in the U.S. that Thai women pursue lightening their skin VERY seriously.

Almost every skin product has whitener, even men's. Women back home bask in the sun to get a tan, women here wear hats, jackets, gloves, anything to shield themselves from the sun. I explained why dark skin is not desired, then they could understand (sorta).

Something else very surprising to women back home: tampons are not used here, at least by 99% of women I would guess. I never see them in the stores.

Something so obvious to us who have been here awhile, but I've told women back in the U.S. that Thai women pursue lightening their skin VERY seriously.

Almost every skin product has whitener, even men's. Women back home bask in the sun to get a tan, women here wear hats, jackets, gloves, anything to shield themselves from the sun. I explained why dark skin is not desired, then they could understand (sorta).

Something else very surprising to women back home: tampons are not used here, at least by 99% of women I would guess. I never see them in the stores.

Are you serious? Of course they have them, the labels are in thai, but they are there.

I'd like to hear the OP's interpretation of his own culture, though sadly I expect it to be just as superficial as his understanding of the culture here in Thailand.

Here we inhale 1000cal triple cheeseburgers while downing it with 2 liters of soda all while driving while talking or texting on our cell phones on our way to wal-mart (Tesco) to pick up something usless made overseas because we would rather have to pay the least amount than pay more for quality. USA! USA! USA!

I was honestly expecting things like:

Dress politely at temples etc.

Hotel California is still on every jukebox.

The prettiest girl in the room might not be.

Girls pluck their arm hair.

Girls pluck their underarm hair.

Girls pluck their leg hair.

Girls pluck the other hair too.

They use sponge eggs. When saturated wash out and re insert. Go go dancers use tampons too with the string cut off.

The availability of squirt guns in most toilets make a multitude of things possible.

Hate confrontation - Right. The stuff going on in Bangkok is just a fun fair & picnic.

Rarely display anger publicly - See above comment.

Eat mostly using a large spoon, with a fork used mostly for guiding or separating (or perhaps chop sticks)- As opposed to the hefty folk of this world and particularly the deep south of the USA that just dig in with their hands.

Often do not even own a plain table/dinner knife- Huh. Time to visit some Thai homes.

Never blow their nose in public - No need when you can spit.

Never use handkerchiefs - See above.

Surprisingly often pick their noses in the presence of others - As opposed to foreigners that pick their butts.

Are for the most part usually very polite to others - As are people throughout the world, or at least those that have been brought up by decent parents.

Rarely have body odor (in my experience) - No, but their genitalia can reek. It's the tropics.

Often take 3-4 showers per day due to the heat - If only some of them washed their dirty elbows.

Women love the TV soaps - They also use soap. Foreign males from the EU get excited at watching men in short shorts running around kicking a ball.

Salt and pepper shakers rarely seen here - Uhh, every resto I have been in has one. But then the food is often so salty or spicey extra sprinkles are not needed. Guess they showed the fast food chains how to kill us.

Usually don't have a toaster - No need, since bread isn't a big staple of the diet.

Like to go to the market to buy fresh food every day, sometimes every meal - Old myth, like the French supposedly buying fresh stuff everyday. An inefficient habit that died.

Rarely store leftovers in the refrigerator - leave out covered with a dish and eaten the next day - And yet they are not poisoned.

Typically are lousy drivers using minimal safety prevention - As opposed to the foreigners drving the penis replacement vehicles that are aggressive.

Men LOVE their beer, often drinking every night with neighbors/friends - Try hanging around with people that work jobs requiring the use of their brains, or maybe just hang out with some educated people. My friends from Issan don't do this, nor do my self annoited hiso friends..

Sincerely believe in and fear ghosts - Haha. As opposed to all the Americans that insist they have seen aliens or been abducted for a rectal probe.

This sir, really is stereotypical nonsense.

judge people social and financial status by thier ride

you got a "rich" for bmw and benz

a man have to work and earn for whole family

a woman have to do all house work and raise a kid (don't have to go to work)

but nowaday it's change

both men and woman have to work but, still , if a man have a good enough income for the whole family ,then they still prefer woman to stay home

it's allright to not married (don't look too good , but it's allright my parent is not married and have three child)

(old believe) merchant and alike is a job for chinese

judge men by rank and commercial status. if you're in a bank job, a provincial manager. you can almost get most girl

women prefer a man with better commercial status.

men prefer women with whiter skin

ambition is look as greedy in Thai (aware of this if you're in a job interview)

if men can't think what he's gonna wear today ,if he's not so fashionable, 90% will be t shirt and a jean

men love football (both play and watch)

there's say "only reason for them(men) to stay home after sun set is a football game is on air"

Nearly 100% of parents need to get their children to graduate at least bachelor's degree. even if it turn out that their child is not working in the same branch they graduated from.

and love to be respected.

in a senior system . newcomer can't argue with senior. older(age) and old(long-stay) member , even less skill ,likely to be listen to than a word from a skillful but young. (they think this is about experience thing)

and if you're new , young and argue with senior , that's not gonna end good

three institution . king . religion(any) and a country is most precious things

especially a king and royal family institute, if you mention bad things , even a slightest ..............

in a normal situation(not now) , most would avoid a politics talk (believe that that's a start of breaking in relation ship)

visiting a hospital patient ,have to bring a casket of fruit and flower , you can also judge people social status by amount and quality of this visiting gift

there's lot more but i'm already sleepy

sorry for my bad english

I would appreciate if any one correct it for me , just for my better engligh