Car Theft Security

I have heard all warnings about cars beign stolen, especially new ones.

So other than the obvious, what can I do to reduce/eliminate the possiblity of having my new car stolen ?

Do not put on the red plates ?

Install a security alarm system ?

Get a physical steering wheel lock (pain in the neck to put it on and off all the time)

Any suggestions or warnings that would be helpful are appeciated.

Yes I will have the dealer paid car insurance, but I suspect that if my car is stolen, it will take quite a while before they replace it. Do not know if they pay for the cost of a rental while waiting.

Edited by paulfr

Dealer installed alarm system when I bought my new Toyota. Includes immobilser. Presume some thai expert would be able to nick it but I can't even wire it without the fob. Company will pay 100000 baht extra if it's nicked!

Dealer installed alarm system when I bought my new Toyota. Includes immobilser. Presume some thai expert would be able to nick it but I can't even wire it without the fob. Company will pay 100000 baht extra if it's nicked!

Ditto here. Mine also has a wireless transmitter that makes my keychain go off with a loud alarm if anything is messed with. Even worked when I parked in one of those multi-level parking structures and I was in another building down the street.

Everyone I know use a gear shift lock for security.

This is a good method. Very handy in parking lots where you have to leave your car in neutral so they can push it around to get cars in and out.

I have never seen one of these. How do they work? Does one size fit all?

This site has several examples:

http://www.sobo-lock.com.tw/mech-1.htm

Everyone I know use a gear shift lock for security.

This is a good method. Very handy in parking lots where you have to leave your car in neutral so they can push it around to get cars in and out.

I have never seen one of these. How do they work? Does one size fit all?

This site has several examples:

http://www.sobo-lock.com.tw/mech-1.htm

Thank you for the site. These gear locks appear to require some drilling that probably requires a professional mechanic for installation. My car is a new Mercedes S class and I wonder if the factory built-in 'security' (infra red ignition key) is enough. I also use a steering wheel lock.

I don't want to reach the point where I am so paranoid that I take the wheels off the car every time I park it.

If you've got an S Class don't be monkeying around intalling one of them, gearlocks, OK for a pick-up. your car should have a top notch security system anyway!!!

Car theft is not a problem here compared to most western nations, never had a problem myself, or met anyone who has. i'm sure the TV "Experts" will say otherwise.