Buying Condo / Apartment In Thailand

I am looking into the possibility of buying a condo/apartment in Bangkok and would certainly appreciate any help rendered in this respect.

First a little about my needs and requirement :

(1) I do not intend to reside in Bangkok on a permanent basis.

(2) I travel to Bangkok for short breaks, mainly to get away from my highly stressful job, about six times in a year and each time averaging a week. So, it means that I am in Bangkok for about 42 days in a year.

(3) With 42 days a year in Bangkok, some may be of the opinion that I am better off staying in hotels. I agreed and that exactly what I have been doing for the past years. But now I wanted a permanent place of my own where I can keep my stuff and go to Bangkok without the hassle of packing and unpacking my stuff. And I am prepared to pay for this convenience.

(4) Because of my need in (3), I am looking for a small (in fact, very small) condo/apartment of 30 square meters or less.

(5) When I am in Bangkok I usually stayed in this small cosy hotel called Travel Lodge in Suriwongse Road for about 1,200 bahts per night. I am most comfortable in this area as it is near to the Saladeang BTS, some of my favourite restaurants in the small sois of Silom and the clubs in Patpong. So, I am looking at condos/apartment around this area, that is, Silom/Suriwongse/Sathorn area within walking distance to Saladaeng BTS.

(6) In fact, during my last trip I have looked at the OASIS which is located at Soi Pipat, off Silom Road. Most units have been sold. But there is an available unit on the second level with a floor area of 30 square metres going at 2 million bahts. However, the property sits on a a 30-year leasehold land and currently, the remaining lease is 28 years. Assuming no residual value at the end of the lease, the depreciation works out to about 71K bahts per year or 6k bahts per month. Is this a good deal?

Any useful advise is much appreciated.

Many thanks !! Cheers !!!

http://www.thelegendbangkok.com/

How about this condo under construction now?

Walking distance from both BTS and subway stations but 66m2 seems to be the smallest unit they have.

If it doesn't have to be a new condo, better just go find an agent and tell what your needs are.

I wouldn't buy a lease hold property in Thailand for the reason you mentioned. Thais would not buy it.

Wow, a reply within 10 mins of my first posting !!! Thanks for the fast response.

The Legend Saledaeng looks VERY nice and the location is superb for me. Any idea on the pricing?

I do not mind a condo that is NOT new. Can you kindly recommend me an agent?

Thanks in advance.

It might cost more than B100K/m2 at Legend Saladaeng...

There is 6 or 7 years old Saladaeng Colonade right next to Legend Saladaeng but the price per m2 should be about the same. I believe they have smaller unit than 66m2 though. Andrew Park Agency in the list of real estate agent in the link below is the sole agent for Saladaeng Colonade. You might want to ask them if there's any 2nd hand unit available for sale.

I bought my 2nd hand unit (in Sathorn area) from Relocations Asia-Pacific Ltd., also listed in the link below. I heard they have more rental units than sales unit on their list, but since their office is located in the area you're searching, you might want to ask them what they have that's available.

http://www.apartmentbangkok.com/serguide/g...state_agent.htm

I just happen to have a condo for sale and its very near Sathorn and Silom. I bought it a little over a year ago with the intention of relocating to BKK but that never happened so I no longer need it. I have stayed in the place very little and its already fully furnished with brand new stuff. If you're interested in talking about it, please email me and we can discuss it further. My asking price was 2.3 M Baht but I am willing to accept 2M as I need to sell it. It is a small 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom unit just like you wanted.

You can see more details about it right here:

Condo

I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Joe

http://www.thebangkokcondo.com/eng/project_sup.htm

And here's another one developed by the country's largest developer L&H, on Sap Rd. between Suriwongse and Si Praya Rd, very close to Russian embassy. It's not anywhere near BTS station but about 10 minutes walk from Sam Yan subway station and 5 minutes walk to Suriwongse (perhaps 15 minutes to Patpong).

Although new, construction of this condo is already completed 2 - 3 months ago. However, unlike other developers, L&H doesn't launch sales before completion of the construction, so there might be some units left for sale. Why not email L&H and ask what's left (no sales agent appointed for this developer except for resale unit)? I drove past this condo many times and it looks quite nice from outside. Very near my my favorite Pizzeria Scoozi.

Edited by Nordlys

Hi Kom ,

I may be doing the same type of thing as you in early 2006 . I will be looking at a few condos in 2 weeks time in BKK . Just wondering what kind of legal services you plan to use for the purchase ?

Hi Kom ,

I may be doing the same type of thing as you in early 2006 . I will be looking at a few condos in 2 weeks time in BKK . Just wondering what kind of legal services you plan to use for the purchase ?

I am keeping an open mind and am not rushing in my search of a property.

The sales staff of OASIS (the only property that I have viewed and made enquiries) situated off Silom Road (my preferred area) suggested that I use the same legal firm as OASIS so as to save on legal cost. I do not intend to take a bank loan (and I was told that if if I do intend to take a bank loan, I do not qualify because I do not have a work permit) and so, I do not need any legal help in this aspect.

Cheerio !!!

The sales staff of OASIS (the only property that I have viewed and made enquiries) situated off Silom Road (my preferred area) suggested that I use the same legal firm as OASIS so as to save on legal cost. I do not intend to take a bank loan (and I was told that if if I do intend to take a bank loan, I do not qualify because I do not have a work permit) and so, I do not need any legal help in this aspect.

Maybe not necessary for a new condo, but I would not buy a 2nd hand unit without a lawyer assitance even if I'm buying it through a renowned agent. As to Thor Thor 3 issue and bank loan application, I would see that as within the agent's scope of work rather than the lawyer's. And yes you would not be eligible for bank loan without a work permit.

• 3 years later...