Cruise Control

Does anybody know of any after-market cruise control to fit a 4WD 3.0 litre manual Vigo available in Thailand. I know Toyoat now produce the Vigo A/T with cruise control but mine is 3 years old so did not have that option and I am not sure if they can or will do a retrofit option.

Sold my Vigo 3/0 4x4 last year for just that reason They only do it now on auto's not manual. And I think now it's only fitted on there top of the range pick up. Retail's at not much short of 1000000 baht time you get a few bit's on it. Looked every were to find a co: not Toyota at the time, 8 month's ago, none exists. Maybe One has reard it's ugly head. Best of luck. Ill be more than peed off if there one about. As loved the Vigo.

I also have a Toyota that's 3 years old. Would I like to USE cruise control YES but would I install it in Thailand if it was available or buy a vehicle with it ? Thailand roads, traffic control and enforcement along with the general attitude make this country a place where cruise control is just plane dangerous.

I have driven cars in other countries which were manual and had cruise control fitted so I don't think that's a problem.

I would like to use it on drives such as I will make today from Loei to Udon Thani as where the have, in recent years, improved the roads it makes it a lot easier on the right foot and also means I am less likely to exceed the speed limit by as much as I generally do!

The drop in the value of the vehicle in trade-in terms is more than I am prepared to accept so a trade-in on a new automatic (not my preference) is not an optio.

I also have a Toyota that's 3 years old. Would I like to USE cruise control YES but would I install it in Thailand if it was available or buy a vehicle with it ? Thailand roads, traffic control and enforcement along with the general attitude make this country a place where cruise control is just plane dangerous.
In or around town's is a No No, sure. But on long run's it's a god sent. I often have to travel to BKK some 350kl and use C/C 80% of the time. Only wish they did one for the stearing. Lazy you bet.

I drive about four time per year between Chiang Mai and Kap Choeng (Surin) 1000 klicks. Roads are dual carriageway and two lane. Rated from excellent to good. I have seen my share of shyt on these roods and would I use cruise control.... LIKE HEL_L.

Why are some of you so against CC out here, you touch the brake pedal it de-activates, touch the throttle same same....how does this make it dangerous ???

First I have driven for years in a lot worst environments than Thailand, which make this country a cake walk. I did not use a cruse control there or would I hear.Yes the roads hear are good but the driving habits are still atrocious which means you need all the reaction time you can get to go from gas pedal to brake. The problem of cruise control is that it puts the driver into a state of relaxation. There foot is off the pedal relaxing and it takes a little longer to react to braking or acceleration and with the habits of drivers hear that can mean the difference between life an death. Cruise control is something I only use in the west. Go ahead and use them hear if you want to commit suicide.

Go ahead and use them hear if you want to commit suicide.

Thats a bit drastic mate, If i wanted to top myself I would get the GF to toss me over the balcony whilst im sleeping one night.

But yeah, I here ya on the relaxed bit though, I can understand where your coming from.

Don't think Frankie was asking about ad/disadvantages of CC. Enquiring as to availability. I'd also appreciate hints as to sourcing same.

For some it may lead to complacency - fair enough. For me I find modern cars so quiet I find I often exceed speed limit without. I've set the 2nd wife(GPS) to tell me if if I bust 120, but have loved my CC's in other countries. Have had them on manuals. Love a heads up on where to get one.

Why are some of you so against CC out here, you touch the brake pedal it de-activates, touch the throttle same same....how does this make it dangerous ???

First I have driven for years in a lot worst environments than Thailand, which make this country a cake walk. I did not use a cruse control there or would I hear.Yes the roads hear are good but the driving habits are still atrocious which means you need all the reaction time you can get to go from gas pedal to brake. The problem of cruise control is that it puts the driver into a state of relaxation. There foot is off the pedal relaxing and it takes a little longer to react to braking or acceleration and with the habits of drivers hear that can mean the difference between life an death. Cruise control is something I only use in the west. Go ahead and use them hear if you want to commit suicide.

my cars/trucks cover more km with cruise engaged than disengaged. Like 50k km a year on LOS highway, probably 60% on cruise. Very high cruise speed, few panic brakes.

Still alive :)

Reminds me of the discussion I had a few years ago with a guy in Oz - the subject was automatic transmissions, and driving in the country (ie outside the metro areas).

Him: Auto is dangerous, because you will relax and not focus on your driving. With a manual, you are changing gears, and must therefore stay alert.

Me: When driving on long, open roads, how often do you change gears?

Driving from Cha Am to Bangkok, and then from Bangkok to Udon along Highway 2 a week ago, it occurred to me (not for the first time) how it would make driving so much easier with cruise control (which I used extensively in Australia).

As Spoonman rightfully says, it is instantly off with a tap on the brakes.

Reminds me of the discussion I had a few years ago with a guy in Oz - the subject was automatic transmissions, and driving in the country (ie outside the metro areas).

Him: Auto is dangerous, because you will relax and not focus on your driving. With a manual, you are changing gears, and must therefore stay alert.

Me: When driving on long, open roads, how often do you change gears?

Driving from Cha Am to Bangkok, and then from Bangkok to Udon along Highway 2 a week ago, it occurred to me (not for the first time) how it would make driving so much easier with cruise control (which I used extensively in Australia).

As Spoonman rightfully says, it is instantly off with a tap on the brakes.

cruise, autogear, auto climate aircon, auto vipers, auto stereo volume increase with speedsensor, bluetooth auto phone answering, auto lights on in tunnels or parking garage, ABS (auto anti blockier system for brakes), vehicle stability program, reverse sensor, you name it I want it.

All this stuff makes me as a driver focus more on insane traffic and less on handling vehicle thus avoiding accidents

Wether foot moves from floor or from accelerator when braking is needed is irrelevant

My thanks to MoonRiverOasis for the link provided. Hopeully I will be able to get my good lady to fully translate the information for me to see whether it would be suitable for a manual transmission.

I do not agree that they are dangerous, it's just that they take all the fun out of driving. Also i had one on a 5 speed Toyota in the States, and everytime the engine bogged down, it would completely disengage without warning, and that could be dangerous if someone was following too close behind you.

Of course, I'm in the extreme, I have never bought an automatic because I like shifting and the better feel it gives. To each their own.