Can You Imagine A Thai Official Saying This?

TypicalAnonym

I was reading a news article about a missing teen in Aruba.

The following jumped out at me:

Aruban Prime Minister Nelson Oduber said Holloway's disappearance has dismayed an island that prides itself on its safety and friendliness — a haven for the 500,000 American visitors last year.

"Learning the news of Natalee's disappearance on our island left us all in a state of shock and disbelief," Oduber said. "We will not tolerate any activities that harm our American friends or tarnishes Aruba's reputation."

Can you imagine a Thai official saying anything like this? Maybe I've just become jaded.

(Mods, I'm not sure if this is OK to post here. It relates to feelings about various recent events in Thailand but please accept my apology in advance if this is inappropriate.)

Aruba sounds worse than Jamaica which is about the last place on earth I'd want to go. That "official" is just mouthing those words as he can see next year's spring break crowd vanishing.

I was reading a news article about a missing teen in Aruba.

The following jumped out at me:

Aruban Prime Minister Nelson Oduber said Holloway's disappearance has dismayed an island that prides itself on its safety and friendliness — a haven for the 500,000 American visitors last year.

"Learning the news of Natalee's disappearance on our island left us all in a state of shock and disbelief," Oduber said. "We will not tolerate any activities that harm our American friends or tarnishes Aruba's reputation."

Can you imagine a Thai official saying anything like this? Maybe I've just become jaded.

(Mods, I'm not sure if this is OK to post here. It relates to feelings about various recent events in Thailand but please accept my apology in advance if this is inappropriate.)

With all respect but there is NO way you can compare or imagine what a Thai minister 'would' say with one from Aruba.

There is absolutely nothing to compare.

Aruba is just 193 KM2*

71.000 inhabitants

source income: just tourism and 1 oilrefinary

The island is just 'an old sleeping vulcano' with some beaches..that's it.

There is a lot of unemployment and criminality and of course it is a very sad thing that this girl disappeared. Terrible for the family.

Hopefully she's not killed!

But also terrible for the majority of the inhabitants since they live 'off' the tourism and if a large % of the 500.000 US-tourists stay away, because of this missing girl, it would be an economic tragedy.

I suppose that's why the 'Minister' expressed himself the way he did....what else could he say?

Ko Phangan: 190 KM2

Samui: 250 KM2

Phuket: 540 KM2

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

When I moved to Buriram, a Thai official appeared at my in-laws house to inform them that should anything happen to me (murder, I presume) anywhere in Thailand then they would be investigated first. Father-in-law rather p***** off as nobody in my immediate family has ever been in trouble for more than riding a bike without a helmet. The Thai official went on to say that farang are most welcome in Buriram Province and that they should be treated with respect as we are all 'supermen' - I presume he meant 'madmen' for leaving the sane world and deciding to live here. I would say that yes, I could imagine a Thai official up in Isaan saying this.

When I moved to Buriram, a Thai official appeared at my in-laws house to inform them that should anything happen to me (murder, I presume) anywhere in Thailand then they would be investigated first. Father-in-law rather p***** off as nobody in my immediate family has ever been in trouble for more than riding a bike without a helmet. The Thai official went on to say that farang are most welcome in Buriram Province and that they should be treated with respect as we are all 'supermen' - I presume he meant 'madmen' for leaving the sane world and deciding to live here. I would say that yes, I could imagine a Thai official up in Isaan saying this.

That indeed must have been an official guy...short of cash :o

And, of course, your Papa-in-law wasn't that pleased with his 'social' call, right?

LaoPo

Roughly the same thing happened to me in Surin. Except our official said something about half the insurance money to forget the whole thing. :o