External Microphone For Macbook Pro

inasia

I want to connect an external Microphone to my MacBook Pro. The built-in mic isn't good enough - but I'm not looking for high-end audio professional standards either. I just want to record narration onto YouTube videos, or podcasts occasionally.

I've been looking into mixer/pre-amps + external Mics, but it's all too bulky and over-kill. No guarantee that this kit will be compatible with Apple's base USB drivers either.

The MacBook comes with line-in input. (+optical) Not a microphone input. So the cheap external microphones for PCs won't do.

Many Mac users favour the Griffin iMic adapter. But it's not widely available here. I saw one from a mail order online shop, but it was twice the US price.

USB Microphones are unheard of here.

The problem I have here is availability. All Thai shops seem to stock exactly the same junk. Mac resellers here know nothing about Macs. (I'm not in Bangkok, and want to avoid a day or two days travelling+shopping just to sort this out).

So given the limited options, what's my best way to get a Microphone on my Mac?

Go to the www.proplugin.com site. They have several USB Mics that will provide the necessary result. They deliver as well and honor there products. Ask to speak with Joe. I have purchased from them for years. Yes, the price is always higher that eBay US, TIT. Import duties and customs are ... TIT.

Edited by tpthai2

I tried various solutions and the one that works straight out of the box is the iMic from Griffin technology. Order it by mail and have its mailed not FedEx'd. Don't even contemplate other work arounds because they'll cause you more grief than you can imagine.

iMic by Griffin technologies

PS. You might even be able to buy it through one of the BKK Mac distributors.

Edited by photojourn

Here is a little handy secret tip for Mac Book Pro users (don't know if it works on the Mac Book) If you have an iPhone, you can plug in your head phones into the head phone jack on the Mac and it will pick up your Mic on the cord just like your iPhone. Handy for travel and skype.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/10/15/iphone-head...th-new-laptops/

Edited by ozymandious

to the OP:

Contrary to what you may believe, USB microphones are not unheard of here. I have a Rode Podcaster which I bought last year and very happy with it. A lot of music shops sell PC kits and USB mics and many Apple shops also stock USB mics. I dont know where you are, but I have found the Apple dealers in BKK extremely knowledgeable.

Cheers