British Embassy Issue Travel Warning

lannaman

The British Embassy have today circulated an email of which the following is a part:

The political situation in Thailand is volatile and tense. In the last week, protests and violent incidents have taken place in various parts of Thailand including Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Ayuthaya and other locations (see Terrorism/Security section for further details). On 26 April there were reports of incidents involving soldiers and protestors in Pathum Thani and the Pratunam area of central Bangkok. There is a significant risk of further violence breaking out unexpectedly. If this happens, British nationals are advised to remain indoors and to monitor the media and this website.

Anyone know of any violent incidents in Chiang Rai?

Further delving into the FCO pages (safety and security section) reveals;

"Protests have occurred in various parts of Thailand and there is an ongoing risk of clashes between groups of protestors. During the weekend of 24 to 25 April pro-Government protests took place in Pattaya, Lopburi, Lampang, Chiang Rai, Ubon Ratchathani, Mookdaharn and Korat."

See the page here

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living...curity&pg=2

Anyone notice a pro-govt. protest in CR?

I remember the various embasys issuing a travel warning about the smoke in chiangmai, a couple of years ago. Very near emptyed the place,as far as I could see.(about 3 metres). Didnt tell anyone when it cleared though.

Violence in Lopburi? Did the feral monkeys join in? Wonder what their political views are?

Its a shame c.rai got mentioned by the embasy. Always had the place down as somewhere life carryed on no matter what. Always get the feeling of isolation from all troubles in the world when Im there.

I do hope the embasy has got it wrong.

Protests have occurred in various parts of Thailand and there is an ongoing risk of clashes between groups of protestors. During the weekend of 24 to 25 April pro-Government protests took place in Pattaya, Lopburi, Lampang, Chiang Rai, Ubon Ratchathani, Mookdaharn and Korat."

Just read this again "PRO goverment protests"? In Chiang rai? Am I missing something, or is that going to have a very limited turnout?

Who is really to blame for for the warnings and low tourism? Maybe the government chaps who seem to use "terrorists" in so many news interviews?

Run the term "terrorist" past most westerners and note their reactions.

Calling a spade a spade is one thing. Calling a spade an evil planetary destruction device is .. um ..

Terrorism

Edited by klikster