Farang Is A Word With Racial Connotations

fanta rood

The word Farang has its origins from about 1150 AD, at the time of the early crusades.

Christian nobility in Italy was designated to Southern Italy and Sicily, which were controlled by Islam at that time. Spanish nobility was directed against the Moors in Southern Spain.

The Franks (french) became the dominant European force used in crusades against Islam in the Holy Land.

The word Faranji (describing white europeans) appears in Arab writings about 1150 AD.

The word spread throughout Asia (probably by arab traders), and variations of the word appear in many languages, including Persian, Khmer, Farsi, etc.

The word was in common usage, long before any French involvement in Indochina.

In a book written in 1603 by Gabriel Quiroga the word is described as Franguis, and attributed to 1250 AD and the seventh crusade by St Louis.

The word describes white Europeans and people descended from these, such as Americans, Australians etc.

It does not mean foreigner.

A plausible story, and one which I am tempted to repeat.

SC

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The word Farang has its origins from about 1150 AD, at the time of the early crusades.

Christian nobility in Italy was designated to Southern Italy and Sicily, which were controlled by Islam at that time. Spanish nobility was directed against the Moors in Southern Spain.

The Franks (french) became the dominant European force used in crusades against Islam in the Holy Land.

The word Faranji (describing white europeans) appears in Arab writings about 1150 AD.

The word spread throughout Asia (probably by arab traders), and variations of the word appear in many languages, including Persian, Khmer, Farsi, etc.

The word was in common usage, long before any French involvement in Indochina.

In a book written in 1603 by Gabriel Quiroga the word is described as Franguis, and attributed to 1250 AD and the seventh crusade by St Louis.

The word describes white Europeans and people descended from these, such as Americans, Australians etc.

It does not mean foreigner.

Thank you Jombon I was waiting for someone to show up and explain it correctly. Should we put this thread away now until its next scheduled appearance in 6 months

If people devoted 5 minutes to an internet search they'd find the full etymology and cultural meaning of the word plain as day. However, it's more fun to rant red faced weeping about persecution and racist Thais on this forum because some expats have obvious "issues" of the mental sort to contend with and I suppose this is good therapy for those individuals.

Perhaps in the future they can just mount themselves on a giant cross and plant their pole right in the middle of Silom with a sign board that says "farang" on it. I suppose that might generate more sympathy..and hilarity.

Edited by wintermute

If people devoted 5 minutes to an internet search they'd find the full etymology and cultural meaning of the word plain as day. However, it's more fun to rant red faced weeping about persecution and racist Thais on this forum because some expats have obvious "issues" of the mental sort to contend with and I suppose this is good therapy for those individuals.

:D:)

Is that your version of the Sandy Vagina monologues?

Is that your version of the Sandy Vagina monologues?

Well i'm pleased to see that last little tantrums over and done with. :D

It would be interesting to know how many people who are fluent Thai speakers (not me) still think the word is derogatory. Very few to none. That says it all.

Your closing arguement in your final paragraph is flawed my friend. You have made a statement that you cannot sustantiate and have no grounding for. :D Put simply, you've made that up to suit your arguement.

If you are "proud" to be called a farang i suppose up to you. Personally i wish people would show more self respect.

You no read English too good, why you think you know Thai, better Thai people?

I used the words 'It would be interesting to know', which means it wasn't a statement of fact that can't be substantiated at all. Oh, and it wasn't me who said I was 'Proud" to be a Farang, so keep up please.

You see the word as an insult as you seem to be see all things as racist insults. You see racism where there is none. It is a word and nothing else. It is YOU that makes it an insult. In the same way a black guy can call his friend a Ni%%er but that isn't an insult yet if a white guy did it it would be ?

It is how the word or any word is used. My In laws who speak very little English refer to me as farang in a good way. If they referred to me as that <deleted>$%$ing farang then it may be different.

Back home I would say " do you fancy going for a Chinky " In no way was this meant or intended as an insult. One of my favourite Chinese restaurants I went to had a big sign outside saying " The best Chinky in town "

In the UK we have a politically correct world where everyone is so scared to be labelled a racist it is used against the system time and time again. You here its " Only because I'm black, Asian, Muslim etc just add your own descriptive " It is normally nothing to do with their colour, ethnicity or sex but all to do with them. They tend to be rather obnoxious people to the extreme and are as such treated accordingly.

A jumped up T@#t is a jumped up T@#t no matter what colour, ethnicity or sex.

You need to be asking your self is it my colour, ethnicity etc or is it just me ? :)

Nice post. Don't half fancy a decent chinky now though. :D

The ignore list is easy to use, people on this forum only get 1 free chance before I use it.

I love this bloke. If you disagree with him he puts you on his black list. :D

I have no problem with the word being used to describe someone's appearance but I think the use of farang is often down to sheer ignorance. I have heard educated Thais tell me they can't speak farang (meaning English) very well, as if all farangs are the same.

Why is it that Thais refer to different nationalities with the word khon before it e.g khon Thai, khon Yipoon, khon Jiin but it is never khon farang?

I have no problem with the word being used to describe someone's appearance but I think the use of farang is often down to sheer ignorance. I have heard educated Thais tell me they can't speak farang (meaning English) very well, as if all farangs are the same.

Why is it that Thais refer to different nationalities with the word khon before it e.g khon Thai, khon Yipoon, khon Jiin but it is never khon farang?

Because Farang isn't a country which people belong to, which is what the Khon is referring to! You wouldn't say 'people of Caucasian' would you. I'm afraid you're just highlighting the fact you don't understand the word.

So in which case, according to your first statement, most Americans are ignorant when they refer to people from 4 different countries as being British. They're not wrong when they say it, they're just not being precise. I think you'll find that's how a collective term works!