Thai PM Abhisit Says Seeking Political Solution To Crisis

webfact

Abhisit just has to swallow his pride and make way for elections.

Simple as that.

Yes, and in a timely manner.

Everyone wants to be in a position to name the next general when Anupong retires, as he is mandated to do in September.

So Abhisit wants elections in December, after securing his choice of general. Of course, the red shirts want the election sooner.

Summer elections with international observers would be the best approach.

so the cause of all evil for the socalled elite and the socalled poor is a few months difference in setting the election date? this remains a breaking point because both sides desperately want to have their man in 'command' of the armed forces? And to achieve their goals both sides are willing to bring chaos and misery in Thailand, blood in the streets, loss of lifes, you name it! I think the whole fuss about elections is nothing else than a figleaf. a democratic wrapping for hidden agendas. I can of course guess what is really important for both sides, but I have a gut feeling that you are a better in that than me myself...

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had a vote I don't think I would vote for Democratic Party simply because of its pathetic inaction to allow this to continue for so long. Happy my new job in Beijing starts soon.Now there's a place where this wouldnt have lasted half a day never mind 2 months.

I just read a great quote from John Adams, one of our founding fathers here in the U.S., "Power always thinks it has a great soul and vast views beyond the comprehension of the weak, and that it is doing God's service when it is violating all His laws." I pretty much think this sums up most politicians.

When Abhisit did try negotiations the Reds were not known to be terrorist but now they are known to be. Negotiations with terrorist cannot be made as it will set precedence for others to become terrorist to make political change. That must be the end of talks. The only way forward will be many Reds arrested and much bloodshed and mess to clean up. I believe it will happen but the government forces are trying to make sure they are as ready as possible.

Many countries have negotiated with past terrorists, in UK history, when those so called terrorists, who after the success of their activities became Head of State of their country, they got the priviledge to finished up having tea with the Queen in Buckingham Palace, i.e. the IRA in N/Ireland, the 'Stern Gang' in Israel, Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe, and many others, history shows that negotiations with the so called terrorists can not be avoided and must proceed in order to solve serious political problems.

When Abhisit did try negotiations the Reds were not known to be terrorist but now they are known to be. Negotiations with terrorist cannot be made as it will set precedence for others to become terrorist to make political change. That must be the end of talks. The only way forward will be many Reds arrested and much bloodshed and mess to clean up. I believe it will happen but the government forces are trying to make sure they are as ready as possible.

Many countries have negotiated with past terrorists, in UK history, when those so called terrorists, who after the success of their activities became Head of State of their country, they got the priviledge to finished up having tea with the Queen in Buckingham Palace, i.e. the IRA in N/Ireland, the 'Stern Gang' in Israel, Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe, and many others, history shows that negotiations with the so called terrorists can not be avoided and must proceed in order to solve serious political problems.

Great post, you forget Nelson Mandella jailed for years for being a terrorist later president.

If I had a vote I don't think I would vote for Democratic Party simply because of its pathetic inaction to allow this to continue for so long. Happy my new job in Beijing starts soon.Now there's a place where this wouldnt have lasted half a day never mind 2 months.

Good luck for the new job in Beijing. It's a place where even car robbers get excecuted... After 19 years in Asia (more than ten in India and then here) I learned a little bit about different mentalities and learned too to have patience. Not all the time - I still can explode - but it's happening very rarely. Now my feelings are half/half. Admiring Abhisit for his patience which must have some background/insight and wishing that he cracks down immediateley. Only time will tell - much time is not left.

In his first week in power over a year ago he announced how his main goal was to find National reconciliation and how he would actively work towards this. Has he succeeded so far?

That was at the same press meeting where he vowed to bring the PAD protestors who closed the airport to justice.

In the same afternoon he announced his new Foriegn Minister would be Kasit Promiya (PAD Spokesman)

YES

I clearly remember him saying that national reconciliation was his top priority. If he had actually meant it, he would have started negotiations looooooooooong ago. (and yes, that includes negotiations with Thaksin. but as usual, Abhisit was extremely stubborn about not negotiating with Thaksin - a big mistake as it turns out).

Now time has run out and he is scrambling. Its irresponsible.

Kasit was never a PAD spokesman.

He never was a PAD organizer.

Nor a PAD decision maker of any sort.

He did make a few speaches from PAD statges,

but not as a PAD member, strictly as a guest speaker.

Mostly anti-Thaksin and anti- Prah Veahar give away.

Kasit was never a PAD spokesman, nor any form of representative of PAD

Didn't he say it was good fun?

Good luck for the new job in Beijing. It's a place where even car robbers get excecuted... After 19 years in Asia (more than ten in India and then here) I learned a little bit about different mentalities and learned too to have patience. Not all the time - I still can explode - but it's happening very rarely. Now my feelings are half/half. Admiring Abhisit for his patience which must have some background/insight and wishing that he cracks down immediateley. Only time will tell - much time is not left.

I tend to agree with you re Abhisit. He's been in a no-win situation since the reds took Rajprasong. Everyone thought the red protest wouldn't last more than 10 days, so he was sensible to wait it out. I think few people would have predicted a month ago how serious things would get.

He no doubt has more information about the situation than anyone on this forum (I can hear the gasps of shock from many readers now!) and he's an intelligent guy who no doubt believes he's doing the right thing. On the other hand, he is a career politician who no doubt enjoys the power of being PM and doesn't want to give it up.

I absolutely believe he's right to not give in to demands from the red shirts - not because I don't agree with the reds but because it would make a complete mockery of the electoral process when a minority in society can dictate to the government when and how to have elections. This argument about the government being illegitimate is bogus - each Democrat MP was voted in (just like the PPP MP's at the time) and the minor parties formed a coalition with them (just like they had with the PPP before they were disbanded). Unusual - yes, but illegitimate - no.

I also believe that sending the army into the red compound would be a nightmare. I read someone say on this forum somewhere it would be like poking a stick into a termite nest. The problem of such a bitterly divided Thailand would not be solved by sending in the army. Sadly I think his best option has been to wait and TRY to solve this peacefully. However, I can't help but wonder how much longer it can drag on...

I wish him the best of luck, but frankly, it sounds like he is stalling for time against pressure from both PAD and the red insurgents.

Stall for time he must. I still think a forceful dispersal at this point would incense red shirt supporters throughout the nation. Sincere and honest negotiations are the only reasonable way forward. It is now up to the red shirt leaders to realize this basic fact. If they continue in their unlawful terrorist actions they will leave the military and government no other choice but to act. So if Abhisit and Anupong are stalling then more power to them. But the time is running out for all parties. Tick tock, tick tock....

There must be negotiations and nothing else, any substandial force used by police/army to disperse the 'Red's' from their spot in BKK will of course be successful, but it will not solve the political problem at all, on the contrary, the same kind of street protests will then be carried right across the country, and this is bound to result into street confrontations with the 'Yellow's, and since army and police are divided on this matter, it could bring Thailand to the brink of civil war, talks are essential.

If illegal mobs and terrorist actions are continued to be rewarded then nothing will change. Severe consequences need to be implemented against terrorists and those continuing to participate in violent illegal actions after numerous days & week of warnings. Amnesty cannot be part of the plan and regardless of how legit a group's goal might be, Thais need to understand they will have no voice if they advocate violence and infringe so radically on other people's the rights.

18 coups in 77 years (almost one for every elections period). Elections are clearly not the answer. Education and understanding that in a democracy you don't always get your way and that there is legal means and channels available for change and to be heard but that terrorism, violence and blatant law breaking will only result in losing your freedoms .., at the very least. Be it red, yellow or anybody else; these things must be understood.

And less Amart brainwashing in schools, if you dont know what I mean go and visit one its what keeps the peasants poor.

I absolutely believe he's right to not give in to demands from the red shirts - not because I don't agree with the reds but because it would make a complete mockery of the electoral process when a minority in society can dictate to the government when and how to have elections. This argument about the government being illegitimate is bogus - each Democrat MP was voted in (just like the PPP MP's at the time) and the minor parties formed a coalition with them (just like they had with the PPP before they were disbanded). Unusual - yes, but illegitimate - no.

You suffer from long term memory loss or what? They BANNED the Reds from participating to elections after the MILITARY coup! Four f*cking years since then and still basically in the same situation!

And less Amart brainwashing in schools, if you dont know what I mean go and visit one its what keeps the peasants poor.

What keeps the peasants poor are the corrupt local business men and pooyais.

Thai's are generally taught to "respect" people because they are older or richer or more important regardless of how much respect they actually deserve. They are especially taught to NOT ask questions.

This serves the pooyais and rich locals well, since the poor won't ask questions when they are being ripped off.

If they poor peasants want a better life, they should look at the corruption in their own backyards.

Thaivisa conversations are so much fun:

A: I know Thai people. They all hate the reds and think they're stupid. If you disagree you're stupid.

B: I know Thai people. They all hate the yellows and think they're stupid. If you disagree you're stupid.

Now... those of you who love red... think about this:

Violence as a political tool. Mob rule. Corruption. Distorted information.

Now... those of you who love yellow... think about this :

However, the reds have one spindly leg to stand on. They don't have the government they elected. The constitution was put together by a military junta (hello Burma!), and the courts were selective in the parties and MPs they eliminated (or the Dems would have been gone with as much speed... not to mention Mr. Newin). Everything else is paranoia and hearsay. Who shot who first? Why? It's kind of immaterial. Everybody has been bad one way or another... (it's bad for citizens to shoot the army, it's bad for the army to shoot citizens... and let's face it, everybody brought guns) but the current government has never won an election. IF everybody hates the reds... the Dems should have no problem winning an election. Let it happen, tell everybody to put their damned colors away, and we can get back to corruption as usual. At least, Thailand deserves a government that isn't propped up and maintained by the military. By the way, people... democracy IS mob rule of a fashion... or have you forgotten?

Unfortunately there is only two ways out of this. Cave in and set up elections within 3-4 months, or man up and disperse the reds. If the Reds won't negociate then there simply is no middle ground.

As for "Rule of Law" the Reds have proved over and over what a big joke that was. At least nobody can throw accusations of double standards: the law simply doesn't apply to anybody anymore.

It wouldn't be 'caving in' but a reasonable response by an un-mandated government - should have been done 3 weeks ago - go to the country and seek assurance that the people AGREE with what the government are doing - but they won't do that will they and (drum roll) because... tut tut tut taaa! they may lose - so what's another way? ermmmm????? stall, stall, stall - maybe that'll work huh?

My wife friends and family live in Udon, and they think the reds are idiots

Wife has many friends from Uni all live in Issan all think the reds are idiots

Wifes village in Issan is hurting badly as there bangkok money has been cut off

Law has no value in Thailand so everyone start to take the law into their own hands, this is causing mass problems in Issan

maybe you should stop talking to the red shirts and start talking to the people

If the PM can manage to bring peace back to Thailand he will will the next election with a land slide

People are interested in their lives and the ability to live them

Red shirts thank you for finally bring some basic education to Issan, showing what Mob rule is not what the Red leaders have tried to hard to convince you

There must be negotiations and nothing else, any substandial force used by police/army to disperse the 'Red's' from their spot in BKK will of course be successful, but it will not solve the political problem at all, on the contrary, the same kind of street protests will then be carried right across the country, and this is bound to result into street confrontations with the 'Yellow's, and since army and police are divided on this matter, it could bring Thailand to the brink of civil war, talks are essential.

The peasants may be poor but they're not stupid...with the rains and the kids going back to school watch the numbers of protesters melt away...the money might be good but, the kids are more important?

You suffer from long term memory loss or what? They BANNED the Reds from participating to elections after the MILITARY coup! Four f*cking years since then and still basically in the same situation!

OK, the current red leaders were banned, but my point is the current Democrat MP's are no less legitimate than the PPP MP's at the time because they were all voted for at the same election. Thaksin and the reds all supported the PPP and they didn't complain about the outcome and accepted the result. So calling the current government illegitimate is incorrect because they are in office through the same election that brought the PPP to power. You might believe the election itself was illegitimate because of the coup, but the reds didn't seem to be complaining at the time.

Abhisit just has to swallow his pride and make way for elections.

Simple as that.

Been saying that for months.All of this could have been avoided. What is he afraid of?

Thai friends tell me the looming Budget

Trillions

:)

That and the military reshuffle, he also wants control over that.

Or be controlled by ..... whomever....

Thaivisa conversations are so much fun:

A: I know Thai people. They all hate the reds and think they're stupid. If you disagree you're stupid.

B: I know Thai people. They all hate the yellows and think they're stupid. If you disagree you're stupid.

Now... those of you who love red... think about this:

Now... those of you who love yellow... think about this :

However, the reds have one spindly leg to stand on. They don't have the government they elected. The constitution was put together by a military junta (hello Burma!), and the courts were selective in the parties and MPs they eliminated (or the Dems would have been gone with as much speed... not to mention Mr. Newin). Everything else is paranoia and hearsay. Who shot who first? Why? It's kind of immaterial. Everybody has been bad one way or another... (it's bad for citizens to shoot the army, it's bad for the army to shoot citizens... and let's face it, everybody brought guns) but the current government has never won an election. IF everybody hates the reds... the Dems should have no problem winning an election. Let it happen, tell everybody to put their damned colors away, and we can get back to corruption as usual. At least, Thailand deserves a government that isn't propped up and maintained by the military. By the way, people... democracy IS mob rule of a fashion... or have you forgotten?

Obviously! let them VOTE!!! Jeeze is it that difficult to understand?????????????????

Edited by ChiangMaiFun

5 year banishment expires next year so perhaps a good reason to wait for the election until then?

I think that spindly leg isn't really there.

The reds DO have the MPs they elected. Unfortunately, the MPs they elected weren't the required majority, so now they don't have the government they wanted.

5 year banishment expires next year so perhaps a good reason to wait for the election until then?

Once again.... why wait??? If this govt. is so up their own nose, what are they waiting for?

Are there sufficient Army troops in Bangkok to support the PMs goals? I heard through relatives that an Army unit from Kanchanaburi would not be permitted into Bangkok so they currently have no plans to go in to support troops there. Do the Reds have some sort of choke hold on the highways to Bangkok to prevent further Army troops from getting in without fighting their way in?

The reds DO have the MPs they elected. Unfortunately, the MPs they elected weren't the required majority, so now they don't have the government they wanted.

Umm... did you miss the part about selectively disqualifying parties and MPs? That was there for a reason. Do you think those MPs were corrupt? I do. Do you think the Dems weren't? I don't. If the rule of law had been applied evenly, there wouldn't be enough MPs left to form a government for anyone (after all, the brilliant consitution (keeping in mind this is Thailand) makes sure that ONE infraction disqualifies an entire party). In my book, that's not a democratic process. Governments should be chosen by the people, not the military or the courts they appoint.

Obviously! let them VOTE!!! Jeeze is it that difficult to understand?????????????????

Is it so difficult to understand that they don't have to let them vote until scheduled in 2011?

read my lips 'they were not elected' what do you not understand about that? the ligitimate red government were banned and MP's were 'tempted' to switch sides - the Dems are unelected - IF they believe they have the 'people's' mandate let them prove it

Umm... did you miss the part about selectively disqualifying parties and MPs? That was there for a reason. Do you think those MPs were corrupt? I do. Do you think the Dems weren't? I don't. If the rule of law had been applied evenly, there wouldn't be enough MPs left to form a government for anyone (after all, the brilliant consitution (keeping in mind this is Thailand) makes sure that ONE infraction disqualifies an entire party). In my book, that's not a democratic process. Governments should be chosen by the people, not the military or the courts they appoint.

What you believe is of no consequence. What can be proven in a court of law is. The PPP party leadership were caught on film engaging in electoral fraud. The Democrat party leadership were not. Those are the facts. Nevertheless the Democrat Party may yet be dissolved over campaign finance irregularities. We shall see if that is proven in a court of law.

Is it so difficult to understand that they don't have to let them vote until scheduled in 2011?

read my lips 'they were not elected' what do you not understand about that? the ligitimate red government were banned and MP's were 'tempted' to switch sides - the Dems are unelected - IF they believe they have the 'people's' mandate let them prove it

Indeed! Bring the elections on!

What you believe is of no consequence. What can be proven in a court of law is. The PPP party leadership were caught on film engaging in electoral fraud. The Democrat party leadership were not. Those are the facts. Nevertheless the Democrat Party may yet be dissolved over campaign finance irregularities. We shall see if that is proven in a court of law.

I would simply respond that what is proven in a court of law in Thailand has been and continues to be suspect to forces outside of justice and evidence. I wouldn't stake a government on a court decision anyway. That's simply not democratic. Making rulings based on a constitution sponsored by the military is even worse!

Do you mean selectively disqualifying the parties and MPs that were caught cheating, and not disqualifying the ones that weren't caught cheating?

The laws disqualifying the PPP were there before the election. Why did the PPP break the laws knowing they were there?

But the courts didn't bring down the government. The PAD didn't bring down the government.

The PTP were in government with a care-taker PM after the PPP were disbanded. The reason they are not there now is because the coalition no longer supported them.

All this crap about "the government that the people voted for" shows that the reds don't understand how the parliament system works. To be in government, you need a majority of the MPs to support you. The PPP got into government because the smaller parties supported them and the majority of MPs voted for Samak as PM. When Samak was banned, the smaller parties continued to support the PPP and voted for Somchai as PM.

When the leaders of the PPP were banned, the smaller parties decided not to support the PTP. The PTP could have dissolved goverment and called an election, but they decided to go for a vote for PM instead. That is when Abhisit was elected PM, because the smaller parties (including Newin's group) now supported the Democrats.

The reds don't have the government they want, because they are a minority.

Please explain to me how there is a difference between how Somchai became PM and how Abhisit became PM.

All electorates were MPs were banned had by-elections to elect new MPs, so everyone is represented.

MPs were "tempted" to support the PPP, then later they were "tempted" to support the Democrats. When Newin's group decided to support the Democrats, Newin said "I don't like it, but I did it for the country" (or words to that effect).