Travel Insurance To Thailand No Longer Valid

sarahsbloke

fyi, my insurance broker here in BKK, who's very good, can issue their policy with everything done by email. Likewise, another poster here said he was able to get the same policy thru the Thai Visa insurance brokers. If you wanted to pursue it, you could go either route...

Thanks for the information jfchander...interesting. Im due over to BKK fairly soon - hopefully the travel advice will have been amended by then, but just out of interest I followed your Pacific Cross mention. Their 'quote wizard' doesn't work and under the contact section the site stresses that they don't take enquiries, instead advising you go through your broker. They give details of a third party administrator in Hong Kong.

Probably doesn't affect me either way, just mentioning it. I doubt I would have gone for them as a few too many hurdles, but thanks again for the idea of insuring via my destination should it come to it.

Thanks again jfchandler - good advice, and makes me feel better knowing the options!

Jimi007, I know what you mean and always try to enjoy but the days of not insuring myself passed with a fall into a pothole last time :)

Travel advice for travellers from the UK has been downgraded this evening:

from FCO website

Travel Summary

• We advise against all but essential travel to Bangkok, in view of the continued political unrest in the city.

• You should exercise caution, especially in the northern provinces and Pattaya. The political situation is unpredictable and throughout Thailand there is a continued risk that protests may result in violent disturbances. Travellers are advised to avoid political demonstrations and large gatherings.

• We advise against all travel to the Preah Vihear (Khaoi Pra Viharn in Thai) temple area, due to violence in the area. See the Local Travel section of this Travel Advice.

• We advise against all but essential travel to, or through, the far southern provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla, due to the insurgency in these areas. See the Terrorism / Security section of this Travel Advice.

• A large number of anti-government ("Red Shirt") protestors are based at the Ratchaprasong intersection on Sukhumvit Road in central Bangkok. Many shops and businesses in the area are closed and there is severe traffic disruption at the rally site and surrounding area. Groups opposed to the Red Shirts have held counter-demonstrations close to the Red Shirt protest area. There have been several instances of violent clashes between groups of protestors. On 21 April, one foreign tourist was injured during a confrontation between protest groups in Bangkok. On 10 April violent clashes in Bangkok between anti-government (Red Shirt) protestors and security forces left 25 dead and many hundreds injured.

Now that the appears to be a deal in the offing I would tend to suggest that the FCO will wait a couple of days and either lift the AVOID warning or at least backtrack on the height of the alert.

Would ask my brother (yes hes with "em"-EU Desk) but he seems to have body swerved somewhere.????

We have a UK General Election booked for tomorrow so government is sort of shut down until results on Friday.....

...C"mon Gordon son...,

Also we are heading out to Chiang Mai later this month and not worried......poo cha cha..... :)

Fingers crossed the FCO will downgrade the travel advice sufficiently so that travel insurance is not affected, otherwise I will have to cancel my trip in July. The concern I have now is the potential backlash from the Yellows....

P.S. Hopefully our "son" Gordon is finished asap. :)

Edited by MarkyM3