Strange Things

tuky

The majority of times I have landed at swampy I have had to get to passport control via a bus, Ofcourse they try to jam as many people on said bus for obvious reasons and it is such a long journey with the bus making silly U turns etc etc.

Last time I flew in we pulled right up to a sky bridge. I tend to pay attention to these things as I hate taking the bus from the plane whilst looking out and seeing 80% of the skybridge parking areas are unoccupied by any aircraft.

So I was thinking how my lucky stars must be shining.

I disembarked onto the skybridge where we all were then sent down the otherside of the landing, down a set of stairs onto a <deleted> bus, then the 10 minute ride to the entrance to passport control.

I had to ask myself, what was the point of that?

Why didn't they just let us walk to passport control? we were only metres away from the concourse.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Can any of you folk think of a reason why they would do this?

It was kinda disappointing, I hate taking that bus.

Well, small things for some are annoying for others and ending a flight like that I find to be very annoying.

Strange. I usually fly with Thai and Jetairways - often to India - and I find it annoying that I have to get a bus to and from the plane at Delhi and Mumbai airports when most the sky bridges seem to be lying idle .... but I've never got a bus at the Bangkok end .... always used a sky-bridge.

Which airline do you use?

Strange. I usually fly with Thai and Jetairways - often to India - and I find it annoying that I have to get a bus to and from the plane at Delhi and Mumbai airports when most the sky bridges seem to be lying idle .... but I've never got a bus at the Bangkok end .... always used a sky-bridge.

Which airline do you use?

The majority of times has been with Thai. I am resigned to the bus taking (I notice because you would think Thai in a Thai airport would make sure they got the best service).

The thing I found most unusual was pulling up to a skybridge, entering the skybridge, walking 3 metres across the landing, exiting the skybridge, walking down a flight of stairs and taking the bus.

hehe, it seemed kind of, <deleted>???

Dear Tuky

i am new here its my first post but i got the answer for you:

you asked quote: "Can any of you folk think of a reason why they would do this?"

scenario Suvarnabhumi Airport:

you know there are domestic and intl gates basically in the same building.

TG always tries to save cost.

i suspect what happened is as follows:

you arrived with an international flight on a domestic gate. that happens frequently.

you arrived on TG on an international flight, the aircraft will be used at its next duty on a domestic flight boading thru a jetway.

you most likely arrived on a B-Gate.

since B-Gates do not have immigration checkpoints, you have to go down the stairs, board the bus, and take the airport tour.

its nice, TG always provides free airport tour by bus with most of its tickets this way...

end of story.

this can only happen with aircraft types 744 (very unlikely), 333, 330, AB6. usually not with 772 or 77R or the old 773, certainly not 345 or 346.

it all is a cost-saving measure by TG, since it costs quite a lot to move empty airplanes on the tarmac.

all this may also happen the other way around - departing international flight on a domestic gate. usually you take the bus, get up the jetway by using the external stairs, board your flight.

exception:

B Gates are domestic except B6 which they use for intl longhaul mostly to FRA on the TG920 around midnite, since the aircraft arrives domestically from HKT they use a domestic boarding gate for intl flight. here you dont take the bus but walk from intl area into domestic without knowing it :)

again that is a great exception using a domestic gate for intl. departure.

hope it clarifies your questions.

enjoy - boogey

hehehe, boogey you make perfect sense.

I hadn't thought of it that way. Thank you very much for the explaination.

BTW great first post.

I have to admit, it is a bit of a shame. It is like getting a bit of cake but not being able to eat it.

BTW great first post.

I have to admit, it is a bit of a shame. It is like getting a bit of cake but not being able to eat it.

boogey - nice explanation. I always figured there was some method to their madness.

tuky - There are times I find that the bus is actually not a bad thing - like when the gate is miles away on the end of some far concourse, then the bus drops you pretty much under immigration. Can save some time walking the entire length of the airport.

BTW great first post.

boogey - nice explanation. I always figured there was some method to their madness.

tuky - There are times I find that the bus is actually not a bad thing - like when the gate is miles away on the end of some far concourse, then the bus drops you pretty much under immigration. Can save some time walking the entire length of the airport.

You are right ofcourse SVB, most of us have these little pet hates no matter how irrational they are.

I guess for me, as I really dislike travelling, if I disembark at the skyway psychologically my trip is over, if I have to take the bus it is like another leg added onto my journey.

Plus, the long walk to passport control is enjoyable for me as I have a chance to stretch my legs, and I have long legs.

:)

Slightly off topic but of interest to some people- :) It could happen to YOU:

At Heathrow. you have to walk for miles. A friend landed there, and by the time he got to passport control was feeling unwell.

post-34728-1272781887.gif

On getting to his UK home, he went an saw his doctor.

In effect, it was like a FREE Stress Test post-34728-1272781902.gif, it turned out he needed two arterial stents to open up his blood vessels.

Are you talking about DVT?

Cattle class syndrome, that is why I dop not mind the long walk rather than the bus...

Plus us business class flyers shouldn't be thrust in with the rabble, surely?

:):)

I guess for me, as I really dislike travelling, if I disembark at the skyway psychologically my trip is over, if I have to take the bus it is like another leg added onto my journey.

Plus, the long walk to passport control is enjoyable for me as I have a chance to stretch my legs, and I have long legs.

:)

Another good point tuky - firstly the psychological one, can relate to that. Secondly the leg stretch - you're right. it does help sometimes, since you mentioned that I do remember that a good stride from a far gate does help get the circulation going. :D

Hi Boogey,

whats a 77R ?.

Rgds.

sorry for being late in reply ... the situation at Bon Kai (my house around there) screwed my life a little.

77R is a reconfigured 777-300 of Thai Airways - but with new business class (nearly lie-flat... those from the Airbus Subsidiary..) and new economy class seats featuring personal tv etc...

the R stands for Reconfigured.

best regards

boogey

tuky' post='3550020' date='2010-04-29 09:01:09']I guess for me, as I really dislike travelling, if I disembark at the skyway psychologically my trip is over, if I have to take the bus it is like another leg added onto my journey.

Plus, the long walk to passport control is enjoyable for me as I have a chance to stretch my legs, and I have long legs

Another good point tuky - firstly the psychological one, can relate to that. Secondly the leg stretch - you're right. it does help sometimes, since you mentioned that I do remember that a good stride from a far gate does help get the circulation going. :)

I used to enjoy those enforced excersise sessions , got the blood pumping and my equilibrium straightened away before exiting the airport , but alas alack , in my mid seventies had a severe , debilitating attack of gout in my right knee and leg .

These days I take advantage of 'Wheel-chair Assistance ' , felt somewhat humbled the first time , but there are definitive bonuses that accompany the service ,

Short circuted through all line-ups .

Practically no time spent in immigration .

Get to the baggage area before the 'Maddening crown ' arrives .

Baggage loaded on a cart for me and pushed through customs to the exit .

Turns out to be more rejuvinating than the leg-stretch .

Feel like I am getting more value for my cost of ever increasing air fares .

My w/c button gives me VIP status , WOW .